Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my friends the true cost of our holiday?

1235»

Replies

• Speedy100Speedy100 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Think the best solution is to cancel the holiday due to the virus.
    That way you will save yourself & the other two friends.
    Next time, be honest.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speedy100 said:
    Think the best solution is to cancel the holiday due to the virus.
    That way you will save yourself & the other two friends.
    Next time, be honest.

It might not be as simple as that.
    You might not be able to cancel due to the virus without losing money.
    It depends what the T&Cs say.

• edited 14 April at 7:21PM
    justworriedabitjustworriedabit Forumite
    916 Posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 April at 7:21PM
    The holiday was almost twice as much as you told your friends!  You were having to pay in instalments anyway.  Didn't your friends suspect? 

Doesn't ring true, anyway.  
    Can you please substantiate your post by providing evidence  to which bit "doesn't ring true"?

To many times people that seek help on a forum are accused of lying for no valid reason and this thread is just one of them IMO. I too am put off posting threads for fear of being lambasted/etc for no real reason, I will try and help someone and having read an OP's post, if I can't help, I just jog on as others will be there to give any OP a helping hand.

OP, you did what you thought was best but then circumstances changed. It just goes to show that even good deeds may backfire.

I just hope it works out for you and you have picked up many of the helpful posts here and good luck.
  • justworriedabitjustworriedabit Forumite
    916 Posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should get your two friends together and have a chat about this holiday, apologise and tell them the truth that you wanted to partly pay for their holidays as a treat, when you could afford it before the lockdown, but now things have changed and you can no longer keep up the payments. You can then decide between you whether you want to cancel the holiday or whether they can afford to pay a bit more or go somewhere cheaper. If they are good friends they should understand. I would be really upset to know my friend was struggling to pay for the extra cost of my holiday that I did not know about, and I would not want her to be in that position. However in future however good your intentions are, you should be up front, especially as this was a large sum of money you were hoping to pay towards your friends holidays. You may have been able to afford it in the beginning but you never know what is around the corner, as you have found out. Good luck.

Ditto. Great posting with a lot of caring attached to it.  The OP I guess is feeling lost and I hope posts like yours do help the OP ease the burden and OP's friends understand.
  • gloriouslyhappygloriouslyhappy Forumite
    506 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I really feel for you, what started as a comfortable kind gesture has backfired.

I lean towards being honest with them then you can decide what to do together.

Otherwise, maybe borrow the money from family to cover the difference and live and learn to pay for things up front when you have the money or put the money aside. 

Good luck! 
    No, absolutely not! Do not borrow money for irrelevancies like holidays when you're already struggling. Man- or woman-up, confess and start again, see if you can cancel and get a refund, then book cheaper and DON'T LIE this time.
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think should have been honest with the cost to start with. You can't now say "well I wasn't telling the truth so now I want more money"
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • kimwpkimwp Forumite
    466 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It's not really a treat to be allocating your friends debt without their knowledge.

I think you should come clean, iterate that your intention was entirely positive but misguided and that you are not expecting them to pay the extra. Then you (as a group) decide what you want to do. I think if your friends can't afford the extra and need to cancel, you should try to make sure they are not out of pocket.
  • JayDJayD Forumite
    605 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Short answer - NO!