Halifax £100 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has any existing customer opened a second account for this? How easy is the process online and quickly can it be switched to?

I have a Basic account which I would rather not touch so instead of upgrading it to a Reward account I am thinking about opening a new Reward account and later switching or closing.
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2021 at 11:46PM
    Options
    hoc said:
    Has any existing customer opened a second account for this? How easy is the process online and quickly can it be switched to?

I have a Basic account which I would rather not touch so instead of upgrading it to a Reward account I am thinking about opening a new Reward account and later switching or closing.

To get the £100 switch incentive, you have to open a new account anyway, and then switch into it.
    The details are on the 1st post in this thread.

I opened a 2nd Rewards account online a few months ago (when they weren't offering the £100 switch incentive) and the process was very straight forward. The new account was open in less than 5 minutes.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I opened a new account on Friday 9th April and chose their suggested switch date of Tuesday 20th April. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the £100 opening incentive was credited to my account today, Wednesday 14th April.
  • swinstan
    swinstan Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I did this switch six months ago. Anyone know how long before I can close the account without losing the £100? Dreadful experience. They sent everything to wrong address so I couldn't access my own money. Had to go into a locked down area to sort it out - I'm in a vulnerable group - and still had to wait another week for a new card to get access to my funds. Then they missed two important direct debits completely. Then they paid off two credit cards in full which weren't even set up on this account. They were on my joint account with partner at my previous bank on an account unrelated to this switch. Now I just want to close the account completely but I'm wondering whether they'll demand the £100 back.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    swinstan said:
    I did this switch six months ago. Anyone know how long before I can close the account without losing the £100? Dreadful experience. They sent everything to wrong address so I couldn't access my own money. Had to go into a locked down area to sort it out - I'm in a vulnerable group - and still had to wait another week for a new card to get access to my funds. Then they missed two important direct debits completely. Then they paid off two credit cards in full which weren't even set up on this account. They were on my joint account with partner at my previous bank on an account unrelated to this switch. Now I just want to close the account completely but I'm wondering whether they'll demand the £100 back.
    Unless it is specifically worded in the T&Cs of the particular offer you took advantage of, they can;t claw it back. So feel free to switch away if they are not living up to your requirements.
  • ErinGoBrath
    ErinGoBrath Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    RG2015 said:
    I opened a new account on Friday 9th April and chose their suggested switch date of Tuesday 20th April. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the £100 opening incentive was credited to my account today, Wednesday 14th April.
    I got the £100 today too, but account opened on Monday. Hopefully get the debit card before April 30 to earn my first fiver.
  • Ghostcrawler
    Options
    I have a query..

I have got switching bonus from Halifax in Oct 2019 and since then hold 1 rewards account for £5 monthly cash.  As per this switching terms I think I am eligible but do I have to switch to existing Halifax account or create a new rewards account and then switch to new one?  Or should I just downgrade my current one to basic and then create a new rewards account and then switch to it?  I don't want to miss this opportunity.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a query..

I have got switching bonus from Halifax in Oct 2019 and since then hold 1 rewards account for £5 monthly cash.  As per this switching terms I think I am eligible but do I have to switch to existing Halifax account or create a new rewards account and then switch to new one?  Or should I just downgrade my current one to basic and then create a new rewards account and then switch to it?  I don't want to miss this opportunity.

I recently opened a second Reward current account (didn't think it was possible according to t&c), started switch at same time. within 3 days the £100 incentive was in my account. Switch completed on last Friday.
    Don't switch to your existing rewards account as that won't qualify!
    Try the process to open another rewards account....see what happens!! Or as you say downgrade existing and open a new Rewards  account.
  • Ghostcrawler
    Options
    Aidanmc said:
    I have a query..

I recently opened a second Reward current account (didn't think it was possible according to t&c), started switch at same time. within 3 days the £100 incentive was in my account. Switch completed on last Friday.
    Try the process to open another rewards account....see what happens!! Or as you say downgrade existing and open a new Rewards  account.

Thanks, did you get a switching bonus on first reward account, if yes then when was it? Also did you downgrade your first reward account?
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 732 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Aidanmc said:
    I have a query..

Thanks, did you get a switching bonus on first reward account, if yes then when was it? Also did you downgrade your first reward account?

I don't remember if i ever received  switching bonus for my existing reward account, not within the last 2 years anyway.
    No, i didn't downgrade my existing rewards account. I opened a new rewards account  and switched an old tsb acc into it.
    So now i have 2 rewards accounts with halifax.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback