Dolly's Journey to Mortgage Freedom

So excited to finally be able to start my own MFW journey.

I've had an offer accepted on a flat and got a mortgage offer with Nationwide yesterday. 

Here is my timeline;
  • Seen flat online 3rd February
  • Viewed flat 3rd February
  • Put in an offer 3rd February
  • Mortgage application submitted with Nationwide 4th February
  • Mortgage offer received 11th February
I am a first time buyer and had to put down a 15% deposit. I now owe my mum £3k because I was unaware until I applied that they would not accept 10% deposit.

I'm going to attempt to pay my mum back by December. 

I'm going to be moving in with bedroom furniture and that is it, will have to start from scratch.

Need to write a list of things I need to try and get an idea of how much it is going to cost me and how long it is going to take.

I love a list though so all good!

Dolly

Comments

• Congratulations... Look forward to reading over time. Which reminds me I should start my diary, but can't motivate myself to do it.

As for furniture nothing I own is really new or bought new apart from TV/technology... Everything has been hand me downs. I'd like to buy some new furniture, but the house needs a lot of work so don't want to invest in it as it will get dusty and maybe damaged.

Guessing by your post count, you know some money saving ways of achieving the above.

Good luck

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,067 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    How exciting dolly  :)
    I remember you saving for your deposit  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Congratulations!
  • Ah Brilliant. My daughter is buying her first place at the moment. Just to manage your expectations she put her offer in on 23 November and is still waiting to complete. The conveyancing is taking ages and she is a first time buyer buying and empty house. The positive of this is she has been able to save a bit more money whilst living at home and start buying all the necessary household goods 

Once people knew she was setting up home she has been offered bits of furniture and even a TV and stand for free. She is busy upcycling two sets of wooden drawers she was given and they look great 😊 
  • My DGD moved into a large 2 bedroom flat from studio flat and has equipped and furnished it for less than £500 , buying everything second hand, including a fridge freezer, a washing machine and a dishwasher! Some of the items she has upcycled and she has made a lovely, comfortable home. It's amazing what people get rid of when they decide to upgrade or redecorate!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • Congratulations on your new flat. It will be a fun adventure making your flat your own and reflecting your personality little by little. Enjoy. 
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck on your MFW journey. I’ve found a diary a great way to stay focused on my goal. The people here are lovely and supportive too. I hope completion happens smoothly and quickly!  PS. I’m with Nationwide too. 
  • Thank you all. 

Post has just been and my offer hasn't arrived yet, hopefully Monday. 

I'm defo gonna try and get as many things second hand or hand me downs if I can also love charity shopping so can't wait for them to open up again. 
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,067 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Local FB groups are fab too :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Yeah I've been having a look on them already. 

Need to wait for a while though be 26th March at the earliest I get the keys. 

Feels like ages away!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure