Dolly's Journey to Mortgage Freedom

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    So my uncle has done the first coat on all the rooms and it looks terrible  D Once it dries and he puts on another 2 or 3 coats it will look marvellous I am sure. 

Went up to look at the boiler so I could figure out what model it is, got distracted looking at the painting and came back to my mums with no information on the boiler, will go back up later for that. 
  • killerpeaty
    killerpeaty Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congrats on getting the keys!  So so pleased for you!!

Painting always looks horrible until the second or third coat, especially the new colour is a lighter colour than the one underneath.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yup it's going from pink, purple, grey to white so it's gonna look horrid until at least coat 3 I would say. 

I'll see a small improvement everyday hopefully. 

My uncle phoned this morning to say that I need to strip the wallpaper off the hallway, he did think he could paint over it but the paper is bubbling and the seam are all lifting from the wall. I don't think it will take me that long, I have the steam stripper so might try to do that this afternoon on my lunch break.

Just sorted out the budget for the month and it's looking alright. Will be a few months before things get back to normal, it's always spendy when you just move with having to buy all the wee bits and bobs that you need to furnish a full house. 
  • ladysummerisle
    Options
    This all looks very exciting. There’ll undoubtedly another added bonus too - DIY counts as exercise but with an immediate reward of things getting done. I’d say that’s a win win! 

MFW diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6254913/never-a-good-time-but-here-goes#latest

Original MF date: October 2036 (£81,500)

Current MF date: December 2029 (I think!)

OP 2021: £8807, EF / maternity fund: £6300

Outstanding August 2021: £44106

• killerpeaty
    Options
    I've not removed any wallpaper but youtube teaches everything!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hahaha famous last words - it won't take me that long - jeezo!

My hands are killing me, I have a pulse in my thumb and I didn't get home till nearly midnight. 

Still need to go back today, it must have about 40 years of wallpaper and paint under there. 

Probs be there all day again. Just having a coffee now then I'm gonna get ready and head up. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 March 2021 at 6:00PM
    Options
    Ouch the pain. 

6hrs of scraping today and I still have a bit to go. Will get it finished tomorrow. 

My uncle said that wall in the living room and my hallway will need plastered so he'll come back to finish those rooms for me when I get that done. Just means my living room and hallway are gonna look a mess for a while but will just have to deal with that. 

Nationwide haven't told me how much my first payment is going to be so I googled it and it says that it will include interest for 25th-31st of March as well as my ongoing mortgage payment for April.

The interest charges up until today are £32.18 so my first payment will be £372.18. That's not anywhere near as bad as the projection they gave me so happy with that.
  • ladysummerisle
    Options
    I wish I had an uncle who’d decorate and do the plastering for me. (Both jobs that I’m ignoring for now). That size mortgage payment is nice and manageable and definitely less than you’d pay in rent for even the most basic place. I’ve no idea how people afford the massive mortgages 😱

MFW diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6254913/never-a-good-time-but-here-goes#latest

• killerpeaty
    Options
    Decoration always takes far longer and is more difficult than you expect. Not that I want to put you off!

Not sure what you mean by massive mortgages @ladysummerisle but I would consider mine big for a single person. Thus far I have afforded it by being careful, my income is good though and I chose to buy 9% under my max mortgage potential (wanted 10% but it came to bids). Not sure if that answers anything at all. :lol:
  • ladysummerisle
    Options
    Decoration always takes far longer and is more difficult than you expect. Not that I want to put you off!

Not sure what you mean by massive mortgages @ladysummerisle but I would consider mine big for a single person. Thus far I have afforded it by being careful, my income is good though and I chose to buy 9% under my max mortgage potential (wanted 10% but it came to bids). Not sure if that answers anything at all. :lol:
    Haha, @killerpeaty I’ll be honest, my comfort level would be £500 a month. I’m aware people pay much, much more, yet the voice in my head says “what if something happens?!” Nursery fees are another thing that gives me chills - £800 a month at least. I just can’t compute! 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport