Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

New Year, New Start?? - Slimming World Support Thread

mamanmaman Forumite
24.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to our new Slimming World thread! This is for anyone who wants to lose weight in 2021 using the Slimming World healthy eating plan. If you’re new to the plan, a returner or a target member then this is the place for you!

A brand new year is the perfect time for a fresh start, lose all the bad habits that have crept in during lockdown and get back on track. Everyone is welcome whether you’ve just got a few pounds to lose or a few stone. You can do it and the thread can help!

If you’ve never done Slimming World before, but you’re thinking about it, then post your questions and we’ll try to help. Everyone is welcome, and it’s free!!

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning maman.  Thanks for starting the new thread.

I've already posted my menu on the previous thread but will add it here too:

Today's plan:

B - veggie omelette - P; S; F
    L - Welsh rarebit - HEA; HEB; P; F
    D - KFC, corn on the cob, chips & beans - P; F

HEA1 - milk
    HEA2 - cheese
    Syns - weekend wine (finishing the bottle as DH didn't like it so only had one glass) 15

Happy New Year everyone!  It's got to be better than the last one!

• bubbsbubbs Forumite
    63.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the new thread :smile:

Syn free
    Sausage and mushroom egg wraps and bargain (part of)20p vine toms :smile:

Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D
    ::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year! 😊😊😊

I had a late night and ate  (and drank) far too much although not all of it was junk. I've just got a few  of my chocolates to finish between now and Sunday evening and then I'll be back 100% on plan from Monday.  I'm quite looking forward to it! It reminds me of when I first started Slimming World and you're using up the stuff you have in the cupboards and freezer. Being mse, I just couldn't throw things away although I did feed as much as I could to DH.  It's much harder for people who have to buy stuff in for children but it's so worth it!!😊

For anyone lurking that's new to Slimming World  I'll explain some of our shorthand/ abbreviations:

P = Protein

F = Free Food

S = Speed Food

HEA, HEB = Healthy Extras. (HEA is dairy like cheese and milk and HEB is bread or cereal. Healthy Extras are fixed daily amounts).

Syns = Slimming World’s word for treats. It stands for synergy because they’re part of the plan not ‘sins’ because they’re bad for you. You can have up to 15 syns a day. A syn is  very roughly 20 calories.

Slimming World recommends that all our meals are made up of a third each of lean protein (P), plain carbs (F) and Fruit and Veg (S). One HEB (slice or wholemeal or fixed amount of cereal) and up to two HEAs (fixed amount of milk or cheese) is in the plan for each day).

Back with my menu later. 😊

• edited 1 January at 3:32PM
    joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 January at 3:32PM
    Further to Maman's thread above about the plan I've found an old post with a fuller explanation of the plan which newbies may find helpful:

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from or simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate

B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight! 

Hope the above is useful.

• bubbsbubbs Forumite
    63.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just read this on a sw page, i feel sad for them 
    I am  but 5 stone to loss  after being in London for miss slinky in 2012 loosing almost 8 stone x and now I'm back 
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D
    ::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • TakeItEazyTakeItEazy Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year (when it gets happy) and thank you Maman for the new thread 🤗
    Had the best Christmas for ages, we were just us 3 and decided no presents. Can’t believe how stress free we felt 🥰.
    Bumped into my boss on dog walk today, feel for him having to sort school before we go back but he said he’s managed to have a good time. Did say a couple of teachers tested positive over Christmas but not effected anyone school wise. Really not looking forward to the reality of close classroom work. Moving to Y2 as his nibs has gone but still Y6 in pm with my other 1-1 although she has to Shield for the foreseeable. The stats still going up so we shall see . Stay safe all 😇
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results :T
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13 :cry:
  • TakeItEazyTakeItEazy Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the recipe page going back in?
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results :T
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13 :cry:
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the recipe page going back in?
    It could, but I wouldn't know how. 😉 I'm hoping they'll see sense sooner rather than later over schools tie. This patchy lockdown, just in England, seems perverse. ☹️

Today's EE plan - 
    B- NAS grapefruit squash, baked beans (F), fried egg, bacon (P) HEB toast, HEA1 milk
    L- veggie omelette (P, S), beetroot and cornichons (S) 
    D- Fake KFC (P), SW chips (F), carrot chips, broccoli, tomatoes, garlic mushrooms (S), HEA 2 cheese 
    Syns - weekend wine 😁
  • Katie_jKatie_j Forumite
    43 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Thank you to the nice person that posted the link for me to find this thread :).
    I have been a member of slimming world for a while and did quite well in the beginning, unfortunately I fell off the wagon and have put on everything I lost :/. I'm hoping to sort out my weight for good this time :#
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TIE I'll see if I can find the recipe page, suspect it was probably on the same thread that I posted above.

I still can't understand why they want to get the kids back to school - it was pretty obvious from the figures that they started rising once they were back.  I think it would be far better to get them doing online learning.  I appreciate it can be difficult for the parents who are working from home but at the end of the day school is not a child minding service!

bubbs agree that is quite sad.  After losing that amount of weight you would have thought that she would actually have got the right mindset to not put on masses of weight again!  Once it started going on all she needed to do was get back on plan!  I know that it's not always that easy but I know that if I go out of target I will definitely cut back on my syns and up my Speed more so that I got back into it within a decent amount of time.  I don't ever see myself bigger than I am now.

I didn't actually need to lose very much but as soon as I was at the stage where I needed to go up a size and I just didn't want to go there - that was when I decided to go to SW!  It's probably the one thing I've ever done for myself.