We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 May at 9:55PM
    Options
    Well, I left here, it was sunny, we got there, walked a hundred yards from the car, it was most definitely not. There was drizzle, more drozzle, a bit heavier drizzle, a chuck down, a light drizzle, a cold wind, and then a bit more drizzle. I've just got warm now [ didn't take the umbrella out of the car...doh!
    So despite that, it was entertaining, some of the show gardens I really liked, mostly the ones focusing on reusing things, espeically the one with old roof tiles [ the concrete ridged type] as something to walk on. We will be having our roof done and I had already earmarked ours as walls if we have to replace not reuse. There did seem to be a trend towards some plants being a bit different, lots of things I hadn't seen before but lots of stalls selling them, so it was a bit deja vue-y. Heucheraholics was there but I didn't see any I fancied, there wasn't much choice, but then, it was the last day of the show. they might have sold out. Saw quite a few selling what I would consider normal stuff that can either be grown from seed or acquired from the side of the road. did buy myself a hori hori knife. God, it's dangerous...super sharp an everything. I also bought some curry plants [they were quite cheap]. Again, dismayed by the stands that had nothing to do with gardening or food. Some guy stopping people with, have you got a dog, trying to flog his pet food...Jewellery stands? And don't get me started on the charity stands.
    All in all though, it was an OK day, I did see a lot of stuff that was interesting, mainly in the show gardens, [ too embarassed at lack of knowledge about anything to chat with the people whose displays they were] did buy an arancini ball off a guy who had the best Italian accent until he lost it for his London one :)
    We stopped off at Fairweathers on the way back [thank you for mentioning it!], bought some stuff from the dying plant sale area and a very small version of a big one I liked at the show, an Abutilon which cost £8 at the show, but £1.75 at the GC. And my friend was really chuffed to see donkeys, horses and cows at the side of the roads.
    Geums, I have a few including the dwarf one you have poppy,one which is red but not the Mrs one [ I divided tht this year, the dividied bit is happily flowering already but did have an iffy moment - this should tell you how oblivious I am sometimes, I was looking at it, thinking, well, it looks a bit floopy, why is that? Completely forgetting I'd not watered it in so than god for some rain a day later], one which starts yellow but ends up red [ I think that's the dwarf one] and another which I don't know out the back curently in a pot. Hope your cat has forgiven you by now.
    Dusty, that's a creepy looking place, the owner really went all out for some scare factor there :)
    2p, did you know they trade dandelion seeds in Singapore because they love them? weird...
    YBL, glad you had a nice time, I love your new toy!
    Farway, she could probably have some heucheras there too,, mine seem to like it in the dry too, which is weird.
    Sorry, done a lot of waffling...
    Oh and there was surprisingly little traffic, we didn't get held up anywhere...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure