We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

1…165716581659166016611663»

Comments

  • wort
    wort Posts: 2,207
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Farway it’s a shame you didn’t have our weather yesterday for your roofer. We had sunshine and although the chill breeze was still about the sun was hot for the funeral I attended. Today we have rain it’s the fine wet stuff, though my sleepless night heard the heavier stuff.

    Dusty I thought you were going to say the hedge arches were at Rosemoor , Mrs Dusty is very patient and clever. My weak back started way back in my first pregnancy. I did used to do yoga and I keep saying I’ll get back into it, even if only on u tube. Pilates was not suitable ,I was recommended it at the gym years ago, but seemed to make my back worse. I don’t think my stomach muscles were up to it!
    I am also looking at bb suppliers my contract is nearly up and I hate doing the comparison sites, also after reading Martins messaage about fuel going up, I need to look at that too. 😢 As a low user mine is mostly standing charges.

    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,823
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Wort - you need the right pilates teacher to help you find your core. I have several slipped discs and Pilates has helped me keep away from surgery for 30-odd years now! It was recommended by an orthopaedic surgeon who warned me that surgery was a bad idea, but that most surgeons like to find a solution to the problem that involved a knife.

    We had rain yesterday and overnight, but today is breezy and chilly. I have electricians in the house, so not much outside stuff is being done although I have cleared the open garage of junk, moved pallets to the side of the workshop, and sorted the scrap wood (I've even sawed some more up). I need to shift the scrap wood so I can get lots under cover. I also need to reclaim my axe from my mum's house, and consider getting a new log splitter, and mine is at my mum's and transporting it as a PITA.

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Rain has started, just drizzle so far. Financial gubbins gubbed, time to settle and look at YT garden vids, but first a quick pop over Farmer G's to check on more daffs while I wait for free P & P offer to appear

    Wort I am also looking at bb suppliers my contract is nearly up and I hate doing the comparison sites

    Not knowing your situation and maybe not a suitable option, for instance teenagers with gaming, but do have a look at Mi Fi, where you use [buy] a dedicated router with a SIM card. I'm trialling one right now and so far seems fine. I've opted for monthly auto renew SIM, on assumption I can just switch without hassle. PM me if you want any info on my set up, not an expert but happy to help if I can

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,823
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    I've used a dedicated data sim and mobile router in the past when between houses. It's also handy to use on the train!

  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 9,357
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Enjoyed Gardeners World tonight. Like the new guy giving 'hacks'. Very listenable voice and the money saving ideas remind me of Geoff Hamilton 🙂

    Hope Farway doesn't need counselling after seeing his pots.

    Also picked up some tips from Monty about bulbs. I'm going to have to tip my pots out because I can't remember which is which. So that's a weekend job. And mow lawns. It's supposed to be dry.

    Raining and very windy most of today and so no actual gardening. Saving myself for the weekend.

    Apple Day tomorrow at the local villages so may go and have a peek. It's not what it used to be before covid. Mostly incomers taken over and they don't have the knowledge or experience.

    Anyone else have Apple days in autumn?

    I found Pilates dull but tempted to see what Stretch and Smile is all about. Sounds right up your street Worth.

    Electricians in the house Greenbee? My neighbours had a tree guy in theirs, much more useful and I grabbed him to do one of mine. Straight price, done, shredded and everywhere left clean 😀 a treasure!

    Hope your roofer works out as well when you find them Farway. The one I had I found less than cheerful or obliging. Perhaps because no one else can do their job. Same as gas folk.

    I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!

    viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

    The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well


  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Rainy first thing, but sun's out now and set fair for the day, allegedly.

    The washing up bowl on my window sill did it's rain drop catching job admirably, water in the bottom when inspected this morning. I suppose in true MSE green-finger mode I should water the plants with this bounty? 😂

    2P Enjoyed Gardeners World tonight. Like the new guy giving 'hacks'. Very listenable voice and the money saving ideas remind me of Geoff Hamilton 🙂

    Hope Farway doesn't need counselling after seeing his pots.

    Anyone else have Apple days in autumn?

    Watching GW is on my list for later today, sounds like something to look forward to

    There is a big Apple day near here, Blackmoor nursery. I've never been but they do make an occasion out of it. Oooh, just checked, it's tomorrow 11th, once more I will not be attending. https://www.blackmoorestate.co.uk/apple-tasting-day/

    FWIW I bought some of my fruit trees from there, without any complaints. Not cheap but at least they grew as intended, well nearly all, the peach and apricot went off to see the Northern Lights once they got curly leaves.

    DD fruit cropping, from dad supplied plants, continues. She is chuffed & surprised to find the Golden Delicious from the tree I gave her [ ex Lidl, 2019] has apples, that are actually Golden & Delicious, and so yummily different from the same variety in the supermarket. We all knew this of course, but no amount of telling can convince like a taste will.

    Apart form watching GW and looking at Farmer G daffs no gardening anticipated

    But, here's my grapefruit crop. The bush was grown from a pip planted by DS over twenty years ago and this year is first time of fruiting. Not worth the wait of course. The fruit is about cherry sized. At least the bush is evergreen, outside in sheltered corner & provides a hidey hole for small birds spider hunting

    grapefruit-Oct-2026.jpg
    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • wort
    wort Posts: 2,207
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Greenbee I think my core dissolved when I had my children 😂 which is when my back problems started. Having said that numerous family members have had back problems.It was lucky you had such a good surgeon to recommend you, I hope that continues.

    Farway, I will check out the sim, I am not techie at all, but will ask son in law or dgson if they can say wether it’s suitable. Thank you. Excellent news getting the pip to fruit , maybe next year you’ll get a full size one.
    Last night was full on wind and lashing rain, today is sunny, with fine rain and gushing winds. I’ve no plans to be outside, just need to book in for an upcoming holiday.👏🏻

    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.