£100 Royal Bank of Scotland switch offer.

Comments

• bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use Halifax as my main bank account.
    I have never switched bank accounts before but I do have a dormant Nationwide flex direct account with zero balance that I have not used in months since the introductory interest expired and I transferred the funds to Marcus.
    There are no DD's, standing orders or payments in or out set up on the Nationwide account.
    I was thinking of switching the Nationwide account to RBS Select with no monthly fee, it needs at least £1500 a month paying in, logging into online banking by December 30th 2020 and no DD's need to be set up as far as I can see.
    I used to transfer funds from Halifax to NW every month and then back again to qualify for the 5% interest rate and was planning on doing the same with RBS.

My only concern is that I have a credit card with Nationwide (not used in 9 months), I hope this CC account would be closed automatically if the switch went through, is that correct?

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    bluenun said:

My only concern is that I have a credit card with Nationwide (not used in 9 months), I hope this CC account would be closed automatically if the switch went through, is that correct?

The credit card would only be closed if the FlexDirect is a pre-req for holding the credit card. Is it?
  • bluenun
    edited 3 September 2020 at 9:52PM
    colsten said:
    bluenun said:

The credit card would only be closed if the FlexDirect is a pre-req for holding the credit card. Is it?
    I do not know the answer to that question.
    I opened the Flex Direct account first and then applied for the credit card a couple of months later. 
    Perhaps I should try to close the credit card account before initiating the switch.
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bluenun said:
    I have never switched bank accounts before but I do have a dormant Nationwide flex direct account with zero balance that I have not used in months since the introductory interest expired and I transferred the funds to Marcus.
    There are no DD's, standing orders or payments in or out set up on the Nationwide account.
    I was thinking of switching the Nationwide account to RBS Select with no monthly fee, it needs at least £1500 a month paying in, logging into online banking by December 30th 2020 and no DD's need to be set up as far as I can see.
    I used to transfer funds from Halifax to NW every month and then back again to qualify for the 5% interest rate and was planning on doing the same with RBS.

The RBS Select account does not need £1500 a month paid into it. The requirement to gain the £100 switch incentives is that £1500 is paid in before the 30th of December and you log into digital banking at least once before then.
    The Nationwide credit card is not conditional on having a current account so you can keep it or close its up to you.
  • bluenun
    edited 4 September 2020 at 10:52AM
    noh said:
    bluenun said:

The RBS Select account does not need £1500 a month paid into it. The requirement to gain the £100 switch incentives is that £1500 is paid in before the 30th of December and you log into digital banking at least once before then.
    The Nationwide credit card is not conditional on having a current account so you can keep it or close its up to you.
    Thank-you noh for clearing that up.
    I also have a TSB Classic Plus Account that I have not used since May 2020 with no payments set up so I could use that one for the switch.
  • Tragen
    Tragen Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    So, can I switch my two Tesco accounts to RBS and Ulster and get 2x£100 bonuses? that would be a nice new years gift :D
  • Tragen said:
    So, can I switch my two Tesco accounts to RBS and Ulster and get 2x£100 bonuses? that would be a nice new years gift :D
    You can try :)
  • Well this is the perfect excuse for getting rid of my Santander account which I downgraded last month to the free account. 
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Tragen said:
    The T&Cs of the switch offer state they only do one £100 payment. So it would depend on how good their systems are for spotting such activity.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    noh said:
    miller said:
    "Good news, your application has been submitted.
    We need just a little more information before we can activate your account."
    As mentioned previously, no email, no text and the confirmation page doesn't really match the 3 outcomes described on their webpage. I'd happily forgotten NWB/RBS/Ulster's "quirky" approach to things, but the £100 will help with that.
    You will probably get the email/text tomorrow.
    Indeed I did and submitted a copy of my passport today. At the end of the process you get a summary of the details provided - I noticed they had an employment commenced date, I don't remember providing that, but maybe they found that out (it was correct).
    Also, does anyone know why they ask for the debit card number of the donor account?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback