Motorbike, Moped and Scooter Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Marks,

I think you have answered your own question on this for the TPF&T side of things, it screams out to me that there is a high rate of theft on this standard of scooter, and you should give up all hope on it being covered without a huge excess.

But instead, invest in a ground anchor, and a suitable lock which in turn can be used for years & years to come.

My bet is that its made up of old japenese molds, made by the chinese and is light enough for 2 people to pick it up and put it into the back of a van / trailer, and is a popular steal for some of the youth today.

TPO, save the excess as that will buy a new bike, and the extra purchase a ground anchor off eBay, and get a lock recommened from RIDE. Chain through the frame / chassis if you can.

Good luck,

Alias
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talking about insurance,

Last year.. *july*

1989 Honda VFR400 NC30 R3 (grey import), 3yrs NCB, TPFT, £100 excess, aged 28, passed in 1998. No accidents, convictions, points. Car license passed 2000.

Bike stored in back garden (in shed) secured behind metal alley gate with access of 9 houses in that row.

£76 (with £20 back from bennets)
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    markS wrote: »
    The main problems seem to be that excesses are higher than the value of the scooter AND the failure of many sites to understand that car drivers with a licence issued before 2001 have full moped licence and don't need to pass CBT.

You need to watch this latter point as, dare I say it, some insurers seem to deliberately fudge the issue until the last minute in order to get unjustified rankings on the price comparison sites, so even though you entered the correct info on the comparison form, their quote will assume a full bike licence and then jump up dramatically as soon as you correct the info when you get to their site.
    If you think you can hop onto a moped without doing a CBT then, whatever the government says about the legality of it, you are on a fast track to A&E. Bikes are very different to cars - for example, you need to learn about low speed control with the back brake - and using one without training is a recipe for disaster. This probably accounts for the high premium loading if you haven't done a CBT - the risk is so much higher. Do it, it will save your life!
  • nstressful
    nstressful Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    i have a Chinese scooter and i insure mine with devitt. fully comp was £109 per year with compulsory excess of £75.00 and no voluntary. i was riding a sym dd 50 and insured without a problem. i will need to change the insurance to a new bike as mine is now no more after an accident. they were very good at arranging to get the bike collected and assessed. still waiting for settlement but it is early days yet as accident was only 2 weeks ago.
  • hullight
    hullight Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    nstressful wrote: »
    i have a Chinese scooter and i insure mine with devitt. fully comp was £109 per year with compulsory excess of £75.00 and no voluntary. i was riding a sym dd 50 and insured without a problem. i will need to change the insurance to a new bike as mine is now no more after an accident. they were very good at arranging to get the bike collected and assessed. still waiting for settlement but it is early days yet as accident was only 2 weeks ago.

I'm still waiting for settlement from an incident in December 2008...not with Devvits though:p
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hullight wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for settlement from an incident in December 2008...not with Devvits though:p

Thats a long time, which company are doing that to you? Any ideas why they are delaying?
  • hullight
    hullight Posts: 524 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Thats a long time, which company are doing that to you? Any ideas why they are delaying?

Had the figure agreed then heard nothing for ages so complained, still nothing. Got Financial Ombudsman to write them a letter, they suddenly request to see some receipts for repairs from last year.

The company is eBike but I have received letters and calls from eBike, eGroup, eCar, Southern Rock (in Gibraltar), TCS Claims, some random engineer...who knows whether they all read from the same screens!
  • Gordon861
    Gordon861 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just renewed my Bike Insurance and when the quote came through I saw they had an £11 'document charge', I got them to discount it in the end, but I think this is taking the p***.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Had my cbr1000 insured through Bennetts then bought a Hayabusa. Called up to change over but my insurer wouldnt insure me as I didnt have 2 years NCB (had passed 18 months earlier, they needed 2 years NCB before they'd touch me).
    I ended up having to cancel the cbr policy and take out a policy with someone else entirely. Now it'll take an extra 6 months to get my 2nd year NCB and the charges from Bennetts to cancel were over the top (but in my terms and conditions so it's my own fault). I ended up paying MORE for the 6 months I had the policy than it would have cost for the full year.
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Just been stung by Bennetts as well.
    Swapped my bike to a Triumph Daytona 25 days into a new policy on my old bike and its cost me £25 for telling them and another £52 for the new policy. So my very nice original £63 policy on a 750 (21 years of riding and 9 years NCB) has now more than doubled.
    As stated cancellation charges are £30 and then I'd have only gotten back 60% of the value.
    Just waiting for the new docs to arrive because I'm sure that they said the new bike was group 20, everything I've read is a group 15. A 25% difference will take some explaining.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure