NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Ready for the next stage!

edited 20 September 2020 at 9:25PM in How much have you saved?
442 replies 5.3K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Now you have an answer, hopefully you are now in the recovery phase and will bounce back soon.
    I may have to look up pacing and conservation, see what tips I can pick up.

Well done on the NSDs, numbers are going up with is good 🤗

The insurance should go down a bit with 1 years NCB, try and pay in full if you can, as instalments cost more. 

The tutors are normally helpful and offer extensions and any other support going. It may also be worth having a chat with student support / welfare to see what they can offer too.

When you were on about swede and turnips, it reminded me of the debate between TomBo and I about growing them. Him describing them as small and white, me saying no, big, purple and cream, eventually sussing he meant turnips and not swede. There have been a few other debates over what things are called up here 😂 
  • riotladyriotlady Forumite
    442 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Argh, placement are still paying me when they shouldn't be, so I'm having to chase people to try and give money back, which is a pain. I've got this months payment in a separate account so that's ready to go straight back, but they've probably overpaid me a bit last month too so some of my savings are probably going to have to come back out of the pot. 
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    How frustrating, hopefully it gets resolved soon.
  • DiscountDuckDiscountDuck Forumite
    153 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Energy Saving Champion
    Forumite
    Hopefully your health will be back on the up now. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery. 
    442 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks folks!
    Quite a successful month this month-
    Saved: £500 (also put another £500 away separately for potential wage repayments)
    Earned from surveys: £19
    Grocery spend: £290
    Eating out/takeaway: £32 
    Totally lost count of my no spend days but nevermind! 
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    A very good month RL 🤗
    442 Posts
    Forumite
    Plan for today was to take my car to the tyre place as there's cracking in some of the treads, but I'm crippled with nausea so have been lying on the sofa reading my book and playing Among Us all morning xD Hopefully I'll feel better this afternoon and I can take it along after uni finishes. 

Uni stuff in general has been a bit stressful. My supervisor was very supportive about where I'm at with my research project and encouraged me to submit a form for extenuating circumstances due to the health stuff that's been going on, so I'm waiting to hear back about that and also waiting for my occupational health appointment to see if I'm fit to go on placement. It all feels a bit up in the air at the moment as I don't know when my deadlines are or if I'm going on placement or when I will finish the course- if I don't do placement now, my course will be extended so I do it early next year.  Plenty of people are in a similar situation as covid has really just thrown everything into a total shambles (the library is STILL closed so we can't even access any books) but I'm a planner by nature and will feel better when I know what's happening with everything. 

Anyway, to look for the positives, our savings are going well, I just finished a great book (The Other Bennett Sister by Janice Hadlow), mini riot is delightful as ever and I plan to make some banana bread with our leftover bananas this weekend. 
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    884 Posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you get a time extension sorted...  :) And hoping you get to the bottom of what's happening soon....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
    442 Posts
    Forumite
    Thank you @Irenadler !
    I had a really nice weekend with riotdude and mini riot. Saturday we went out splashing in puddles because it was pouring down and then cuddled up under a blanket and watched the 90s Thumbelina movie (more disturbing than I remembered?) and Sunday we saw some friends for a socially distanced outdoor breakfast and made some chocolate chip banana bread to use up some bananas. Did £22 of food shopping on Saturday, spent nothing on Sunday. 
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    That sounds like a fantastic weekend!