New Post Advanced Search

Cheap Energy

42 replies 981 views

Replies

• anniecaveanniecave Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    As well as getting on a good tariff, you'll save some money if you can reduce your thermostat temperature. If any occupants in the house struggle with the cold, make sure they are wearing warm clothes and drinking plenty of hot drinks if needed in the colder months. 
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Gerry1 - I almost agree with your sermon!  However, things have improved over the past  6 weeks, I have been giving them accurate readings at various intervals to establish a pattern of usage - I suppose.
    I have an online account with BG.  The name of  the tariff is Energy Plus Protection 31 December 2020.
     Gas is 2.781p per KWh, Standing charge is 12.90p. 
     Electricity is 13.625 per KWh.  Standing charge is 15.854p. 
     My projected and average usage is 10,000KWh.  We now need 14,000+ KWH as we will spend more time at home.
    Does  this clarify things?   Sadly, but the temptation was strong, OFTM is to be avoided, though some seems to have a good experience.
     I did try Robin Hood Energy, but didn't get anywhere with it, i.e I couldn't get a quote.

Many thanks.
  • edited 26 July at 7:42PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July at 7:42PM
    filou said:
    I did try Robin Hood Energy, but didn't get anywhere with it, i.e I couldn't get a quote.
    Their website could hardly be easier.  It doesn't even mess around asking for details of your existing supplier and claiming false savings.
    What went wrong?  You may need to accept cookies and disable any ad or script blockers.
    Just make sure you click on 'Add my energy use' to get an accurate quotation.  When you've been given your quotation, click 'Tell Me More' to see the annual cost.
    Or phone them. Or tell us the region or first part of your postcode.
    As always when switching, consider any other relevant issues that may be impacted, e.g. Warm Home Discount, Priority Services Register, boiler cover etc.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    I have had a quote from Robin Hood.  A quick calculation, though I may be leaving something out.
    My new KWh is 14,000  Gas and 1,800 Electricity p.a
    Gas 2.27 @14,000  KWh               =  £317.80                Electricity 1,800 KWh     @ 13..380 =   £240.84
    Standing Charge [email protected] 29.67 KWh= £240.84                  Standing charge 365     @  23.400  =     85.41   Total £751.85 
    On this basis BG is £10 cheaper.  There  must be something else which I must factor in as this total figure is about the value of 
    12,000 KWh.  I'll keep looking.Many thanks.
    Filou
  • edited 28 July at 10:11PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 July at 10:11PM
    The gas standing charge looks wrong, and it's pence per day not kWh.  Have you established your annual consumption from actual meter readings?  The electricity also seems a bit on the low side.
    It's always a good idea to check the results, but almost any comparison site will give you the annual cost (as will the Robin Hood site) if you enter your expected annual kWh usage.
    Did you also try separate suppliers?
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Gerry1   We have never used 14,000 KWh before,   Circumstances have changed, we need more than 11,000 KWh now.   I have based standing charges on 365 days.  Some of Robin Hood's charges are relatively high, but it seems that they are more invested in green energy.  I have looked at all the M&S recommended ones, but I guess I have missed the boat.  Thank you for your advice.

• Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Have you entered 14,000kWh for gas into some comparison sites and seen what annual costs they come up with?
    • Have you done the same with gas and electricity separately and then added the two amounts together to see whether it works out cheaper than dual fuel?
    You do seem to be doing things the very hard way !
  • edited 29 July at 9:57AM
    Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July at 9:57AM
    I agree with Gerry  - the electric at 1800 /kWh looks low - typical in a gas heated house is 3000.  If you've used your summer reading then don't forget you will use more in the winter for lights, heating pump ............ ( I use 250kWh in the summer; 400 kWh in the winter  EDIT Monthly !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • edited 29 July at 9:56AM
    TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 July at 9:56AM
    I don't understand your approach.  You seem to be stating how much gas you'd like to use and then getting bogged down looking at standing charges. For high gas users standing charges are almost irrelevant - you pay one of those a day, but unit rate is crucial because you use 10s or 100s a day. Conveniently,  comparison sites crunch the numbers for you. Having re-read the thread there's never been any meter readings discussed, just an amount you'd like to use; I don't understand!

You've already missed the best deal of the year:-(.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    In my defence, I've never bothered much about gas or electric costs as we were often away for several months during the winter, and  usually ended up with a credit balance, I understand that will seem silly to serious analytical people.  Now I have had to investigate much more for the first time.  To summarise, I went for London Power, 14,000 KWH gas, 2,000 KWh Electric at £63 per month duel fuel, and got a congratulatory email from the  Lodon mayor on my choice! so i must have done something right.
    Question, will, under relatively good conditions 14,000 KWH give me 12 hours a day heating  during the winter months. at 21C?