Forum Home» Energy

Cheap Energy - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheap Energy

42 replies 981 views

Replies

• edited 15 July at 1:24PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 1:24PM
    filou said:
    Is that too little for 17KW hours daily at 22C?
    That's a meaningless figure (and it should be 17kWh, not 17kW).  Is it gas, electricity, or both?  The daily figure will be very different in six months' time, which is why you need to think in terms of annual kWh usage.  You still haven't given us your kWh rates and standing charges, so you could be paying well over the odds.
  • edited 15 July at 1:49PM
    Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 1:49PM
    The one I responded to is now closed  but in this weeks email is the MSE Big Energy Switch 15

Yes I think £100 is a good budget - 
    What do you have in the way of a programmer / timer ?     A modern one like a Nest will give you different temperatures throughout the day and night.

EDIT - as Gerry says we / you still need some actual annual consumption figures .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • edited 15 July at 1:59PM
    st999st999 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 1:59PM
    I and my wife are in our 70's and  use approx 14,000 kWh of gas a year to heat our 3 bed semi from 7:45 to 23:30 every day from about mid October to mid May with the thermostat set at 21 deg C.
    We don't have the heating on at night as it is too warm during the night and the house is well insulated so there is not too much heat lost during the night.
    Before we upgraded the heating and insulation we were using 22,000 kWh of gas a year and that was with heating on from 7:00 to 10:00 then 16:00 to 22:00.
    75 years old and still here.
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    We use 11,000 kWh of gas per year heating a 4 bedroom detached house.  The heating is on 24/ 7 all year round.  We have it set at 19 degrees from 07:00 to 22:00 and 15 degrees overnight. Our energy bills work out at £64 per month.  As we move into our late 60s I do find that I feel the cold more, so nudge the thermostat up to 20 sometimes!
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366...
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    filou - have you been able to give your present supplier up to date meter readings . That should generate new bills and give you a good idea of what you are using/paying at the moment.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY EMAILS FROM   NSE!!!  How do I communicate that to them?
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's also on the web site home page - 
    www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/

If you hadn't asked to go on the mailing list you won't get it.

• filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Just read the MSE tips.  It looks like energy prices will zoom up.  If I leave BG now I will have to pay £60 exit fee.   If I leave in November end of contract, all prices will be higher.  So I noticed that the cheapest of the big 6 fix is £840 British Gas.  I might be better with the devil I'm with now, and surely they would not charge me exit fees, or would they? And, would I need to apply through MSE?  Appreciate your opinions. Thanks.  Also are these "fixes" based on average usage i.e 12,000 KWH?  Do they then charge extra for higher usage?
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    filou said:
    Also are these "fixes" based on average usage i.e 12,000 KWH?  Do they then charge extra for higher usage?
    The 'fix' is only on the cost per kWh and the standing charge, what you actually pay is based entirely on your usage...

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Likewise the DD is not "fixed" it is only an educated guess - use more energy and your DD will go up, use less and it goes down.
    You build up a credit during the summer months in anticipation of higher energy needs in the winter.