Cheap Energy - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Cheap Energy

42 replies 981 views

Replies

• filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Could I be impertinent st999 and ask how much you pay for 14,000 KWH,  Gas and how about your Electricity is it separate?
    JCB1955 - the question is how do you manage to use so little Gas over 24 hours, I guess it is really good insulation..  Again you must have electric separate..  I would like to aim for 12,000 KWH of Gas minimum for the price you pay.  Apart from the boiler the rest of the house is electric, will change to LED bubs to save electric..  Any ideas gratefully received.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way to use less gas is to turn stuff down or off. Use your boiler controls to adjust flow temperature and the room stat, programmer and tank stat if you've got one to control the temperature of the house and the hot water.
    Ideally dont heat your hot water tank all day and all night - set the temp to 60 degrees and then just have it on for a hour or so before you get up and back on again (if necessary) before your bedtime ablutions. If you dont have a hot water tank then only use hot water when really necessary - a combi-boiler runs at full blast every time you turn the hot tap on, so the less you use the less frequently the boiler runs.
     If you do have a hot water tank then make sure it's properly insulated, keeping it hot all day and all night wastes heat from bothe the tank and the surrounding pipework.

DONT WASTE HOT WATER - dont let it run down the sink when washing, rinse stuff including your hand in cold and reduce the amount of time that you stand in the shower (and have fewer showers) - dont believe the myth that showers use less water than baths - they do if they have low flow rates and you only spend a couple of minutes in there but they can also get through double the amount of a bathfull if you stand there for 10 minutes or more on full blast. Every time you run a hot tap until the water gets hot - you not only waste all the water that you've run off but you also leave the same amount of valuable hot hater sitting in the pipes to get cold.

Now the central heating, ideally get a programmable thermostat so you can adjust the temperatures for differnt times of the day and different days of the week. Make sure that you've got Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRV's) on you rads and adjust them so you dont overheat rooms that are little used. It goes without saying that insulation is the key, in the loft, ideally in the walls and if you dont have double glazing (even if you do) have thick curtains and close them at night to keep the heat in.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • st999st999 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    filou said:
    Could I be impertinent st999 and ask how much you pay for 14,000 KWH,  Gas and how about your Electricity is it separate?

I'm on SG's energy and boiler cover May 2021
     gas
    Standing charge

14.84p per day
    Unit rate 2.444p per kWh

electricity
    21.71p per day
    14.295p per kWh

75 years old and still here.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    I want to thank all of you who have given me the benefit of your knowledge, and to st999 for giving me the costs for each fuel and the provider.  I only used to look at the monthly payment and try to keep within  that range, the result was that we were often cold. Last question, do they give the costs, standing charge, and KWH when you first apply?  I may have to come back with more questions.

Many thanks again to everyone.
    Filou

• edited 20 July at 11:15PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 July at 11:15PM
    Almost any price comparison will give you the cost per kWh and the standing charge, although you may have to click through to More Information, Tariff Details or whatever to find them.  But you still haven't told us the details what you're paying at present.  It'll be shown in the bill calculations, but don't forget to add 5% VAT because it's only added on at the end.
    You might find that it's worth paying the £30 or £60 exit fees, just do the sums.  Robin Hood Energy's 12m Summer Saver on gas is great value, and with my high consumption it was worth paying the £30 fee to exit Gulf.  It'll disappear any minute, so do the sums PDQ.  In my area it's 2.027p per kWh, with a daily charge of 28.497p per day, inc VAT.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    I have just looked at my Account with BS, it says it's a Statement, I have seen no signs of a a proper bill/invoice, there is nothing about price per KWH or standing charge.  It is all based on estimated readings.  I/we pay £65 per month which is low.  I based it on :1) being away a week over New Year, and a month away end of March/February.  The money value from 10/11/19 to 15/7/20
    is £600.  We have not enjoyed much warmth for  that amount.  I would like to leave them, but am reluctant to pay the exit fee as I fear they will pile on more money without giving me the usage.  I still cannot talk to them, still not checked the meter.  They also claimed at the beginning that my last supplier underestimated my last bill, though the last bill a) coincides with the leaving date and start date with BS, b) the bill from Shell also clearly says it is based on an actual reading.   What to do?  Grateful for suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    I have just looked at this one, it looks very very good are there any catches?
    Supplier name:  Tariff name:  Tariff type: Fixed. Tariff term: 12 months. Payment method: Direct Debit. Electricity unit rate: £0.1366 per kWh. Electricity standing charge: £0.2015 per day. Gas unit rate: £0.0252 per kWh. Gas standing charge: £0.2386 per day. Exit fees: N/A.
    The name has fox in it!
  • edited 25 July at 7:04PM
    Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July at 7:04PM
    filou said:
    It is all based on estimated readings.
    I still cannot talk to them, still not checked the meter.
    Apologies for the lecture, but it has to be said that you need to establish the facts so that you can make informed decisions in a timely manner.  Instead, you're floundering around and procrastinating, just relying on emotions and guesswork. That's never going to end well.  Five days ago I flagged up a cracking Robin Hood / Ebico offer which was great for high users, but you've missed the boat on that one because it's now been withdrawn.

Let's try to shine a light on things...
    • Have you been giving monthly meter readings and keeping records?
    • Have you set up an online account with BG?  If not, do that right now.
    • Which tariff are you on?  What is the pence per kWh rate and the daily standing charge?  Your online account will tell you.
    • What is your annual consumption?  Actual meter readings should tell you this, or you should be able to make a guesstimate by reading the meter now and comparing it with a previous actual meter reading.  Have you entered the annual kWh figures into some comparison websites, staring with Citizens Advice and 'Switch with Which?'?  Remember to get quotations for separate suppliers not just dual fuel, and compare the annual cost (check by doing the sums yourself) and ignore all projections and claimed savings.  You can then see whether it's worth switching.
    Once again, apologies for sounding harsh (especially if circumstances beyond your control have prevented you taking the required action), but the matter will never be resolved if you don't.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    45.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you unable to check/read the meter?  Until you do so and submit actual readings, which will generate a revised billing, you can have no idea what your actual balance and usage is.
    All you need for any comp site is your postcode and annual kWh usage: it takes less than 2 minutes to get the results.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)