New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheap Energy

42 replies 982 views
filoufilou Forumite
19 posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Is it cheaper to leave gas central heating on low all the time or switch it off at midday and on again in the evening?  We are seniors, and home all day.  Four bed town house, living room kitchen and dining room.  Our bills are high, my husband is getting older and feels the cold.  How could we economise and at the same time be nice and toasty?
Is it at all possible?
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• edited 12 July at 6:27PM
    Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 July at 6:27PM
    filou  - did you resolve your meter reading problems in your other thread ?

We are also a 2 x OAP couple, 4 bed detached - gas heated. Gas 13,000 kWh; Elec 4,000 KwH
    We like ours warm - on 0600 off 2300 at 22 degrees

PS filou - what do you call expensive £20, £30 , £40 a week ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much are you paying per kWh and what is the standing charge?  That's the first thing to get right.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Fit a programmable thermostat that allows you to have the heating a little lower at night rather than run at full whack.   Fit TRVs and set them lower or off in any room you don't use (but close the door!). Switch to separate suppliers, getting the best rate you can for each fuel. Check the government's insulation scheme in September. 
  • PetriixPetriix Forumite
    612 posts
    500 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It is objectively more efficient to only run the heating when you need it and there is no benefit from keeping it on low at times when you don't actually need the warmth. There is a common misconception that it costs more to heat the house from cold than to keep it warm all the time; that is utter nonsense however you look at it.

To save you money, try to only heat the rooms you use when you use them - a gas fire in the living room is better than heating the whole house. Wear more appropriate clothing rather than heating the air more etc..
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Robin9 - I hang my head in shame, I read the gas meter incorrectly, and thanks to the video, I now have the correct readings.  I caused myself and everyone else an unnecessary drama.  Your heating is on at  6.00 am till 11.00pm with 13000 KWH etc.? We live in an end terrace, four bed town house on three floors, we would like 22C.   The best I have managed is 19C.  I would need to have 22C as my husband isn't well and feels the cold.  We have a modern WorcesterBosch boiler, double glazing, needs more insulation.  Tell me please how you do it with so many hours on!   How much does it cost you?   Gerry1 - I have no idea, I just look at the monthly rate after giving them yearly usage.  I have to learn to calculate  the KWH and standing charge, where to check for information.
    Talldave - I like the idea of different suppliers for each fuel, but would that work with the smart meter?  We have valves on all radiators, to lower or turn off.  Thank you all for your comments and ideas.  |I have till the 10 November to decide on a more efficient deal than the one I have got.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    filou said:
    Gerry1 - I have no idea, I just look at the monthly rate after giving them yearly usage.  I have to learn to calculate  the KWH and standing charge, where to check for information.
    Always think annual kWh usage obtained from actual meter readings because the fixed DD amount may or may not be sufficient to pay the bills.  Cost per kWh and standing charge shown on your bills (add 5% VAT).
    It's a doddle to work out the electricity bills, just take the difference in meter readings, multiply by the cost per kWh add the standing charge and add 5% VAT.  Same for gas, but first convert the volume to kWh.
  • edited 15 July at 3:41AM
    Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July at 3:41AM
    You are not alone in mis-reading your meter - I've done it (twice) with the same meter. No matter what the design they all have their pitfalls. Now you've got proper readings you will be able to recalculate your annual consumptions and existing costs
    My gas is with Zog - just taken their latest fix ; electric with GNE - I took MSE's recent "offer"

Mine is a 1970' s detached, cavity wall, double glazed but with poor roof insulation - modern boiler. Our quirk is that we are an upside down house. 

Look at Talldave's suggestions re TRV's , programmers, don't heat rooms you don't use.

You are on the way. Thank you for you admission - too many don't come back after they realise they have been the cause of their woes.

Edit - filou - what temperature is your boiler set at ? 
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    filou said:
    Talldave - I like the idea of different suppliers for each fuel, but would that work with the smart meter?  We have valves on all radiators, to lower or turn off.  Thank you all for your comments and ideas.  |I have till the 10 November to decide on a more efficient deal than the one I have got.

The smart meter data is all funneled via a single organisation that then fires it off to the supplier who is billing that meter. So it should be fine; however most aspects of smart metering in the UK are shambolic, so fingers crossed. It is worth pointing out that a lot of the smaller/cheaper suppliers are not up to speed with smart meters yet, so the price of getting cheap energy might be that you have to provide monthly readings in the medium term.  If your meters are inaccessible to you then that might affect your choice of supplier.

When I talked about fitting a programmable thermostat etc I accept that most people can't do it themselves so it can be a significant expense to get someone in. Whilst this site is primarily about saving money, there are times when it's worth paying out purely to improve your comfort levels and quality of life. 
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ......................... - I like the idea of different suppliers for each fuel, but would that work with the smart meter?  

You still have 2 meters - the gas info is sent via the electric - it doesn't matter who the suppliers are - 
  • filoufilou Forumite
    19 posts
    Where is MSE's latest offer?  We have a thermostat fitted, and can adjust the radiators.  Radiators are 35 years old. Our insulation is not particularly good. Thanks Robin9 for your generosity.  I think £100 a month reasonable for both, i.e. £1200 pa.
    Is that too little for 17KW hours daily at 22C?