PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Options

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    my stepmum used to put orange segments with her salads and it was really good, would need juicy oranges though
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Pavlovs_dog,

We do have an earlier thread, so I have merged yours into it to bring it back up the board as I'm sure lots of people will be interested in it now the weather's improving.

Another couple of threads that might be of interest to people reading this thread are:

summer meal plans (without salads!)

food for hot weather

Pink
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cheers pinkwinged..i suspected i may have been a tad short sighted!!!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Great thread idea :T :T :T

Today, contrary to my meal plan, I made up a beetroot salad (vacuum pack of beetroot, roughly chopped, HM dressing made with hm yogurt and seasonings) plus a HM coleslaw with added grated apple, sultana's and linseed. Gosh it was lovely!! :drool: :drool:

Hope you don't mind me mentioning ... :o ... but, from your list, it would seem that your "salad" includes many, many items that could be broken down and spread over several meals under different salad guises and that alone would ring the changes *and* be more cost effective.

For example:

~ A green salad (lettuce, cucumber, spring onions) served with say, cold cuts and mashed potato. I really love the combo of cold food with hot mash :o

~ Cucumber and tomato salad (serve with cooked meat and say, jacket potato)

~ Coleslaw (dead easy to make) would be a vegetable side dish which I would serve with say a lasagne and crusty bread. Shredded white cabbage, grated carrot, finely chopped onion (I mince mine in the FP) bound together with a dollop of seasoned mayo/yogurt/creme fraiche ... additions I make include sultanas, grated apple, chopped nuts - but only because I need to convince my family it is *healthy* :laugh:

~ We rather enjoy diced cucumber, chopped tomatoes (or halved cherry toms) mixed with a tin of fruit cocktail, served on a bed of torn icebury lettuce and topped with a dollop of cottage cheese. Crusty bread on the side gives texture and contrast.

~ Finely grated carrot with some orange zest, sultanas and dressing is also a delicious side dish and goes wonderfully with smoked mackeral :drool:

~ Potato Salad is very basically hot boiled potatoes, diced and mixed with mayo, chopped onion, chives, fresh chopped parsley and seasoned. Just remember the old saying: "A potato salad should be mixed when hot and eaten when cold" ;)

~ sliced ham, rolled up with like a wrap with a cottage cheese filling, served with green salad and coleslaw is quite refreshing in hot weather.

~ Tuna Pasta Salad (in ours anyway) is basically, cooked pasta twist, add small can of tuna, handful of cold cooked sweetcorn, diced cucumber, mixed together with a blob of seasoned mayo/yogurt/creme fraiche

~ Rice and pasta can be interchangeable when using as base to eke out a small amount of protein (ie: eggs, fish, meat) with handfuls of cold veggies; add a dressing to compliment the protein element and voila, a substantial salad.

In the old days you would have a cheese salad (Ploughmans!!) *or* an egg salad *or* a quiche with salad *or* cold cuts with salad (with either bread, potatoes or a pasta something on the side for your carbo's). I have noticed that these days, cheese, eggs, pork pies all feature in the *same* salad, altogether; something you wouldn't ordinarily do with a cooked winter meal :confused:

Reading through those suggestions, there are 9 - you would get through the summer months without too much effort simply by changing your protein element and carb elements that you presented with them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you roast any seeds (I use a mix of sesame, sunflower and hemp) and then put them on any salad, it is a very good way to jazz it up and adds protein and fibre too!

Make sure to always use the best quality cold-pressed oil you can affordand the best quality vinegar if possible, it is really worth the extra expense and you needn't use loads. You can also use lemon juice from fresh lemons - not from the lemon bottles!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Hope you don't mind me mentioning ... :o ... but, from your list, it would seem that your "salad" includes many, many items that could be broken down and spread over several meals under different salad guises and that alone would ring the changes *and* be more cost effective.

not at all queenie, i truly value all the differing ideas and opinions. take my cheese slice thread for example...it all comes down to 'culture' and upbringing i suppose, but i was amazed that so few people knew what one was or used one.

same goes for salad. a salad, the way i've brought up *is* a combo of all the things listed above (be it on its own or as a side salad); its only in recent years that i've discovered all this 'posh' stuff like different types of salad :o:D , cous cous, vinagarette dressing etc.

please dont ever be afraid of voicing your opinion - its what makes us unique. life would be boring if we were all the same. im not convinced by the fruit cocktail and creme cheese idea, but if knowing that thats 'normal' for someone else out there makes me entertain the idea, then that has surely got to be a good thing. the mind is like a parachute, and all that jazz :beer:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Wizwoo
    Wizwoo Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love salad and often add fruit to mine especially apple or orange.

My favourite salad was one I made for a starter on Xmas day it was for Fennel, Orange and Pomegranate Salad with Feta. It was the first time I ever tried pomegranate. I got the recipe from the Woman's Hour web site http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/food/recipe138.shtml. Does anyone have the book it's from ('Crazy Water, Pickled Lemon' by Diana Henry) if so is it any good?

Other favourite is pear with walnut and roquefort (or any blue cheese...love the stuff :grinheart ) it's easy but really special.

Love seeds and nuts too Caterina - always have pine nuts handy and sesame seeds. I think kidney beans (from can - cooked then chilled, am I right in thinking I can't use them straight from the can?) and chick peas are lovely too.

Could go on and on but I think that's enough for now :rotfl:
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have looked at the Indexed recipes but can't find a rice sald recipe. I'd like a veggie recipe if anyone has one please.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Radish, mint and feta salad. (delicious!)
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1255822,00.html

Also very tasty:
    Couscous salad with feta, Kalamata olives, broad beans, peas and mint:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/print/couscoussaladwithfet_74884.shtml

This one is really good too, quite spicy:
    Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Feta Olive Salad:
    http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2005/6/9/for-the-sweet-love-of-spud.html

Mozzarella and green bean salad; Lentil, pea and feta salad.
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1502045,00.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    mae wrote:
    Don't want to hi jack the thread but also does anybody having any salad dressing recipes? I like vinegarette dressings but don't lnow how to make them?
    this is a really nice slightly spicy dressing, particularly good with rice &/or tuna

2 Tablespoons oil
    1/2 teaspoon black/brown mustard seed
    1/4 teaspoon ground cummin
    1/2 teaspoon salt, only if peanuts are unsalted
    pinch turmeric
    2oz roasted peanuts, roughly crushed/ground
    2 Tablespoons lemon juice

heat oil
    fry mustard seeds till they pop
    remove from heat & add cummin, salt if using & turmeric
    cool, add nuts & lemon juice
    good with rice or green salads

another tasty thing to do with rice salads is to add a handful of Bombay Mix or other similar snack just before serving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure