PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Options

Comments

• pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    Chicken Caesar Salad with extras

Bed of lettuce (Cos or Iceberg)
    Strips of cold chicken
    some cherry tomatos
    strips of cucumber
    croutons (chop up a piece of bread and bake in oven with a bit oil spray)
    1 tbsp grated parmesan over the top
    Add a few halved cooked baby potatos if you want some carbs
    Then drizzle with caesar salad sauce (2/3 french dressing mixed with 1/3 mayo or salad dressing and a tsp of wholegrain mustard)
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most of my favourite salads have already been mentioned (caesar, nicoise, greek) but on holiday in France earlier this month I had the "house salad" in a restaurant:
    lettuce
    finely sliced green apple
    walnuts
    warm goats cheese
    Really simple & delicious. It was served with simple oil/lemon juice dressing (stops the apple going brown). The goats cheese had been piled onto a slice of baguette to be warmed up - presumably to make it easier to serve.
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grilled maple lavender duck salad

This is one of the recipes that stops me being completely vegetarian :o
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    mae wrote:
    Don't want to hi jack the thread but also does anybody having any salad dressing recipes? I like vinegarette dressings but don't lnow how to make them?

They're just about the easiest thing in the world to make. When I was shown how to make them I kicked myself.

1 Part vinegar (can be any like white wine, cider, balsamic, red wine vinegar)
    3 Parts oil (preferably olive)
    then anything else you like.

I usually just add salt, pepper and a teaspoon of powdered english mustard but you can add wholegrain, dijon, etc. I also sometimes chuck in some garlic or tomato puree.
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    I like roasted veg in salads. I usually dry roast peppers, courgettes, red onion or any other veg I fancy at the time. Add this to some baby spinach and lambs lettuce, spring onions, cherry tomatoes and chopped chicken and it's yummy. It doesn't even need any dressing as the peppers seem to provide it so great if you're on Weight Watchers. (Sometimes add some Helmans Extra light mayo though - still low on points!)

I seem to live on this during the summer.
    :smileyhea
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    Jamie Oliver has a fab recipie in his School Dinners book for an American Chop salad which is basically anything you want chopped up into really really tiny bits, I use feta, a little gem, a tomato cucumber, radishes, a pepper, onion and if I'm feeling slim some bacon, chop and over chop it if you have one of those mezzalunas that's the best thing. Then chuck some home made vinegarette over it. YUM!
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • hk_chick
    hk_chick Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    This isn't so much a salad as such, just something I ended up making when experimenting one day. Good for boosting the vitamin C :j

shred savoy cabbage, put in a plastic tub, add a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic vinegar & some sea salt (bigger crystals, give more 'crunch'!). pop the lid on & shake the whole lot up.

I've found adding pumpkin or sunflower seeds sets it off nicely too...
    This year, I will mainly be kicking some serious money saving butt! :D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    American style pea and cheese salad.

This is a main dish salad.

Layer in a bowl; greens (spinach or lettuce) torn into pieces,cheese grated or diced, spring onions,cooked peas,blobs of mayonnaise and finally crisply cooked bacon bits.Chill,and mix just before serving. :)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    now that the warmer weather is finally here (here's hoping i dont curse us all, having said that :rolleyes: :p ) im finding that i really cant face the idea of a hot cooked meal. this past week we have virtually lived on salad, and at the mo, im really enjoying it. that said, i know its going to get really boring if i dont ring the changes soon, and i cant afford to keep buying fancy little side salad things from the supermarkets. so i thought it would be really nice to have a special place to pool all our idea and recipes.

i've had a look through the collections, and nothing jumped out at me, so im hoping im not duplicating any previous threads - if so, please feel free to merge.

right, well in our house a typical salad consists of of the following

*mixed salad leaves
    *cucumber
    *tomato
    *beetroot/bettroot salad
    *coleslaw
    *pickled onions
    *grated carrot
    *sliced cheese wedge
    *cold sliced meat
    *pickle
    *spring onions (for those who like them)
    *sliced pepper
    *sliced hard boiled eggs

there will also usually be any combination of crisps, jacket spuds, bread rolls, quiche, drumsticks etc to make it into more of a meal.

dressings include pickle, salad creme, a variety of dressings etc.

im trying to think of things to make it more interesting, exciting, and of course, cheap :money: :D

as i am really not overly keen on lettuce, i have a bad habbit of buying a bag of mixed salad leaves. i really need a kick up the bum to make me realise that this isnt necessary, and that the raw ingredients are easy to buy and will cost a third of the price, making twice as much salad.

im also rather fond of cous cous (but it has to be flavoured), and rice/pasta salads. bit at a loss for ideas though, would appreciate pointing in the right direction. i really must stop wasting so much money on packet mixes.

i'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on how to keep things interesting and exciting all through the summer. and there's a beer for anyone with a simple to make, great tasting potato salad recipe, as i've just discovered i rather like this!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always include in our salads

Lettuce
    Tomato
    Cucumber
    Onion (sliced/chopped)
    Shallots (Sliced - if we have any)
    Cheese cubes
    Spring onion
    Beetroot
    Tinned potatoes sliced
    Chillies (sliced)
    Sliced pepper
    Radishes (For OH - I can't stand them)
    Crutons
    Mushroom (sliced raw)
    Beansprouts

I don't like carrots so I don't have that. At work we have a salad "theatre" where the chefs make one up with what ingredients you fancy (Not cheap, hence the reason for making my own in a similar style!)
    They use most of the above also Sweetcorn (eww) Olives (double ewww) plus they add pasta or cous cous.

Sauces which I use on ours (Add Black pepper and lots of it!)
    Sweet thai chilli
    Hot pepper sauce
    Minted yoghurt
    Mayo
    Salad cream
    Tabasco

The ones they have at work (including some of the above)
    French dressing
    Lemon juice
    Balsamic vinegar
    Olive oil
    Chilli mayo

Meat/fish wise, one of my fave combinations is Crayfish and Feta cheese or MAckeral and feta cheese....

I also like chicken in a salad or poached salmon.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas?

L x
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills