PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Options

Comments

• researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love this salad - or I did until I became dairy intolerant earlier this year:(

Roast at 200c 1or two red/yellow/orange peppers per person, cut in half length ways, and sprinkled with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. After about 20 minutes add a chunk of goats cheese and heat through until it begins to melt. (This takes between 5 - 10 minutes, depending on the cheese.)

Serve on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves, dressed with a simple dressing, sprinkle with toasted pine kernels and some slivers of parmesan cheese.

This salad is so good you'd expect to get it in a restaurant! :p

If serving a vegan use cherry tomato's instead of the cheese, and omit the parmesan.
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made this one up as I went along - Lettuce, tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, topped with warm roast English asparagus, grated parmesan, toasted pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds ('munchy seeds' from Lakeland, great in salads!)
    172264926_9727f27a80.jpg
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Options
    Made this one up as I went along - Lettuce, tomatoes, red pepper, avocado, topped with warm roast English asparagus, grated parmesan, toasted pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds ('munchy seeds' from Lakeland, great in salads!)]
    that looks & sounds wonderful :T
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Options
    mmmmmmmmm that looks scrummy ! :)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looks lush CC.

I made one up too the other day,think I may have already posted about it elsewhere so sorry if I repeat myself:o

Cooked pasta
    Cooked broad beans and peas
    feta
    lemon oil and loads of mint
  • Mrs_Arkwright
    Mrs_Arkwright Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    A warm chicken salad is extra nice if you add some strips of smokey bacon to it. I have also been making apple coleslaw which is lovely - shredded onion, cabbage and carrot, a chopped up Granny Smith, and some mayo. Makes a little change from ordinary coleslaw.
    My sig's too large, apparently - so apologies to whoever's space I was taking up.:lipsrseal
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another good one is baby spinach leaves (raw), toasted pine nuts, bacon cut into strips, avocado - and anything else you fancy - croutons are good (but not very healthy!), tomatoes, red pepper, etc... warm chicken is very good with this and makes it more of a main course, a good mustardy dressing is nice with this (olive oil, wine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper) or a garlicky one - olive oil, wine vinegar or lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, pepper), add some herbs too if you have them (flat leaf parsley is good or a little tarragon)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    Cut bread into cubes (removing crusts) and place on a baking tray in a hot oven until crunchy. (The time required depends on the size of the cubes - so check every couple of mins.)
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's time to bring this beauty of a thread back to life! I've been searching for summer food ideas and have found some great older threads.

Lettuce, cucumber and tomato
    Salad dressing. How do you make yours?
    Summer's here...any salad recipes?

I thought it was worth bringing it back for further inspiration!

Now I've dipped a toe in the heady waters of pastry making, I'm keen to make lots of summery dishes with quiche, veggie burgers and different salads so any further ideas gratefully received!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We had this last night, it was yummy ;)

Avocado, sunflower and beansprouts salad

2 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves or other dark leaves (more nutritious)
    1 big handful of mung beansprouts
    1 handful of toasted sunflower seeds
    1 chopped avocado
    3inch piece of cucumber diced
    a little chopped onion/spring onions

dress with a little vinaigrette
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income