PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Options
Has anyone got any salad recipes? my offering is sultanas soaked in orange juice mixed with lots of grated carrot, drizzle with olive oil, grind over some black pepper.

Comments

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That sounds lovely AT. I am making a potato salad with leftover new potatoes and always add chopped up spring onion, in Germany they add chopped up ham as well. Another salad I like is:

Wardolf Salad

Few sticks of Celery - chopped up
    Couple of nice eating apples - chopped up
    Broken Walnuts
    Salad Cream

Mix all together and chill until use.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    My favourite salad in the whole wide world is caesar salad...as in

St Delia's Caesar Salad

Must admit I've never actually made it cos it sounds such a faff...just order it in restaurants!

Does anyone have a cheats version
    ashamed05.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I like beansprouts, lightly blanched and refreshed in cold water dressed with sesame oil, soy sauce, chilli, crushed garlic, pinch of sugar and then sesame seeds sprinkled on top.

Mixed salad leaves with orange segments and dressed with 50:50 balsamic vinegar and olive oil is tasty too.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Beetroot Slaw
    Finely shredded cabbage
    Finely chopped onion
    Diced beetroot (either freshly cooked or pickled)
    Mix all together with mayonnaise and little salt and pepper and lemon juice. It's delicious

Coleslaw
    Shredded cabbage
    Shredded/grated carrot
    finely chopped onion
    mayonnaise
    little course grain mustard
    lemon juice
    salt and pepper

Mis all ingreds together and chill before serving.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Allexie - I made your Falafel tonight, they were great, thank you, I'll make them again!

They were served with HM granary bread, an 'english' salad with home grown lettuce, spinach and rocket plus the carrot, orange and sultana salad.

Pud was HM thick natural yogurt drizzled with a syrup made with scented red roses (this was a rose petal jam that didn't quite set, so I strained the petals out and the result is a thick magenta red syrup that takes wonderful)

Great grub!
  • Allexie
    Options
    Allexie - I made your Falafel tonight, they were great, thank you, I'll make them again!

They were served with HM granary bread, an 'english' salad with home grown lettuce, spinach and rocket plus the carrot, orange and sultana salad.

Pud was HM thick natural yogurt drizzled with a syrup made with scented red roses (this was a rose petal jam that didn't quite set, so I strained the petals out and the result is a thick magenta red syrup that takes wonderful)

Great grub!

Glad you liked the falafel, I usually have them with a dollop of yogurt with chopped fresh mint in it.

Ermmm...do we have the recipe for rose petal jam????
    Yahoo_22.gif

• apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I have made it before and it has been lovely, especially with scones, it didn't set this time but that could have been because I was doing 3 things at the same time, plus until this time I had been making half the amount because it's hard to get hold of 10 roses at the same time if you don't have your own bushes (these were given by a friend).

ROSE PETAL JAM

10 large red scented roses
    1lb jam sugar
    6 fl oz water
    juice of half a lemon

break up the roses and cut of the white ends of the petals to prevent bitterness, wash and shake dry
    in a medium sized pan dissolve the sugar in the water, add the lemon juice and all the petals
    simmer till the petals look glossy, crystallised and the jam has thickened, keep stirring, do not overcook or the petals will be tough.
    Pot as for jam in the normal way or strain to get rose petal jelly.

If it doesn't set for any reason it makes a very nice syrup topping for yogurt or ice cream
  • Allexie
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe apprentice tycoon......must have a go icon7.gif

I always have probs with jam...it's either syrup or it's rock-solid glue - never anything in-between!!! :confused:

• apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Allexie wrote:
    Thanks for the recipe apprentice tycoon......must have a go icon7.gif

I always have probs with jam...it's either syrup or it's rock-solid glue - never anything in-between!!! :confused:

I'm pretty confident with jam, I always use Jam Sugar because it's almost foolproof and make lots because I grow strawberries. I will have a go at this jam again when the rose bush produces again, I will try half the recipe next time
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a Sausage and Rice salad in our recipe index, not to mention a number of vegetarian options that might be adaptable :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport