PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

summer's here....any salad recipes?

Options

Comments

• KTFrugal
    KTFrugal Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    This is a classic of frugal ingenuity - don't ever chuck out that dry bread, you can use it up in so many ways.

Take your loaf of dry bread and cut it up (free upper body workout depending on how long you let the bread go) into cubes. Dunk them in a bowl of water and quickly fish them out, squeezing the cubes as you go. This makes the bread receptive to the dressing.

Make up the vinaigrette of your choice, I usually go with olive oil and balsalmic vinegar and toss with the bread. Then add whatever you like. Traditionally, for panzanella, the Italian bread salad, you add chopped tomatoes, basil and a little garlic. Olives are good here, some steamed asparagus is delicious, white beans add heft, you get the picture.

Keeps well enough to be lunch the next day too.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know how to make the sweet onion sauce they use on salads in Subway, or have any recipe for sweet onion sauce?

It would save my friend a fortune, she's addicted to it :D
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not a huge veg fan but my 2 fave all time salads are chicken caesar (made with any caesar dressing, grilled chicken, grated parmessan and fresh croutons rather than with anchovies), and that French one beginning with N that has tuna chunks and just under cooked hard boiled eggs. Then I put in whatever salad ingredients are to hand.

Sometimes we'll just do a massive cold plate, but our biggest salad includes sliced egg, grated cheese, a piece of meat, something like a chicken drumstick or a pork pie, and, again, loads of whatever salad ingredients are to hand. Very filling.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    Does anyone know how to make the sweet onion sauce they use on salads in Subway, or have any recipe for sweet onion sauce?

It would save my friend a fortune, she's addicted to it :D
    There's a recipe Here that has a sweet onion sauce recipe included but I've no idea if it's anything like the one you mean.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Minky2Slice
    Minky2Slice Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    I have decided to eat a little better in the evenings, instead of eating a sandwich or even worse just snacking on crisps/chocolate/sweets!...
    I have a cooked meal every day for lunch, so I need only something small for when I get home at night... i never really cook and have no recipes... so I need some nice salad-recipes...only thing I can do is potato-salad :o any help much appreciated! rice/pasta salad/ green salads? TIA
    ** i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay **
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i love a warm chicken salad

i cook a chicken breast on the george grill,then slice (can marinade in whatever flavour you like beforehand)

add to whatever leaves youve got ,cubed cucumber ,cherry toms,avacado etc etc

then i make a pesto mayonnaise to go with it and also a touch of parmesan

tis scrummy !
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spooky!

I was looking up salad recipes in the Recipe Board thread as you posted!

Found these

Ark's Roasted mushroom salad
    Aril's Brown Rice Salad
    Ark's German Potato Salad
    Squeaky's Flageolet, corn and fenel salad
    Squeaky's sausage and rice salad
    Allexi's Tabouleh
    my Happy Salad

There are more...
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    I love salad but we haven't really had the weather for it lately.

Caesar salad (cheat's method):
    Lettuce, tomatoe, anchovies, croutons, Caesar salad dressing
    For the croutons cube a slice of bread, toss in a little oil, then dry fry it til it's crispy. You'll have more than you need just for one salad but you can save the rest til you need it. Provided it's fully dried out it won't go off.
    For the dressing mix 1tsp mayo with a dash of Worcestershire sauce or anchovy ketchup, 1 tblspn oil, 1tspn lemon juice and pepper and grated parmesan to taste. You need to add a couple of tblspns of water too because the cheese will make it thick.
    If you don't like anchovies you could make the same salad with grilled chicken or crispy bacon.

I love salad Nicoise as well:
    lettuce, green beans, tuna, boiled potatoes, black olives and hard boiled eggs in a classic french dressing of two parts oil to one part vinegar. A pinch of sugar and a little french mustard will help to flavour the dressing.

I like lettuce, green beans, prawns, smoked salmon and avocado in a creamy dressing for a luxury salad. I make the dressing by
    mixing mayonaise, yoghurt and water.

Greek salad is an easy classic:
    Tomatoe, onion, fetta cheese and black olives in vinagrette. Needs good tomatoes though, should be beefsteak.

I strongly recomend the classic book "Summer Cooking" by Elizabeth David. It's a wonderful book: The recipies are simple and delicious and Elizabeth David writes with an assurance and passion which really conveys the joy of food and cooking as well as being very reassuring to the novice cook.
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we eat salad any time of the yr lol

if you serve it with warm chicken / tuna or salmon fillet its not so bad
    also drizzle over a warm dressing
    yum yum !
  • sarahspain
    sarahspain Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    I have added grated carrot to my salad this week and normal tomatoes rather than cherry ones, both cheap ingredients.

I also like raw mushrooms in a salad.

Also try and grow your own cress to add to a salad.

I was in hospital week before last and had a salad which gave me the grated carrot and cress idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure