food for hot weather

hey guys.

im seriously lacking inspiration for summer type meals. after months and months of roasts, soups, cottage pies etc, im at a loss as to what i can prepare which is cheap, wholesome, healthy and filling, without being boring or repetitive. dont ask for much, do i :o :rotfl: ?

what are you lot serving up at the mo?
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    The last few weeks, menu has slightly changed to meals like:

Lamb Chops, New Potatoes & Salad (or hot veg)
    Quiche, Salad & New Potatoes or Jacket Spuds
    Spag Bol & Cold Fresh Bread
    Rice/Pasta Salad
    Light small buffets (cheaply done of course!)Rice, pasta, HM Pot salad, HM coleslaw, quiche, HM s/rolls, cold pizza, boiled eggs, salad items, ham,leftover meat, cheese, etc-anything you may have in your cuboards and should have enough for lunch next day too!
    HM Lasagna & Salad
    Cold Meats & Salad
    Salad & anything

Strawberries & cream
    Trifle
    Ice cream
    Summer pudding
    Ice Lollies

Hope this gives you soem ideas.

Penny=Pincher!!
    XXX
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My daughters love home made bread rolls stuffed with salad or home made chicken burgers.

Homity pie (recipe from Cranks)

Home made quiche of any sort.

Home made ice cream or sorbet.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    If I do say so myself I love summer cooking, loads of salad! MY top two things for dinner are

Burgers, griled and then sliced (to make them thinner) put into a pitta bread with some salad and a bit of mayo and ketchup! Like a burger in a bun but with less bread and much more portable(good for barbies)

And also WEDGIES!!!! Potato's cut up into big chunks (after scrubbing, obviously, but leave the skin on)
    - Wash and dry and put on to baking tray,
    -then put on some topping just pepper is nice or get some fajita mix powder stuff and sprinkle it on top making sure you get even coating
    -next some olive oil, or whatever you use for cooking and ensure even coating (though not loads)
    -put into oven about 180-200 deg C depending on how quick and crispy you want them for about 25 mins depending on chunk size.

Fantastic and soooo tasty. Had just wedgies and salad last night, good comfort food! :D

I do the whole mixing up thing with my hands Jamie Oliver style, I like to make a bit of mess.
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    I'm struggling with this too but tonight we're having omlette (original, I know :rolleyes: ) with cherry tomatoes (because I've got loads for some reason) and home grown courgette :j

I am also planning on making falafel burgers soon which are made with chickpeas (recipe HERE) I'm making them into 4 burgers rather than balls and I'm substituting chilli for the corriander and cumin because I'm not a fan of cumin. I keep chickening out because I'm really new to using beans and pulses but I've got a big bag of dried chickpeas in the cupboard and I made something with them last week so I don't know what I'm messing about at :D You could do the balls and serve them in a tortillas (there's a recipe in a recent thread)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A tip I learned from the locals in Cypress as the weather approached 40C was that you should try to eat your main meal in the hottest part of the day. It's actually very easy, though us cold weather dwellers would normally think not.

We all know how tired and sapped we feel at the end of a hot muggy day and not feeling up to eating much... which is when you just have a light dinner or a cold salad snacky type thing.

It really works. Honest :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    I make up a bit bean salad which does as basic for several meals.

just mix up a selection of:

tins:
    green beans
    kidney or butter beans or chick peas ( just used 1/2, freeze rest)
    sweetcorn

add:
    diced Q
    sliced cornichons ( lovely and cheap from Lidl)
    spring onions
    any roast veg

+ heavy drizzle of french dressing.

then serve lettuce, tuna, or any cold meat, or humous so easy to ring the changes for each meal.
    hth
    -
    blue-kat
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love pasta shells which have been cooled, mixed into salad with prawns and maybe grated carrot too. Very refreshing! I also make a homemade cheese pie and have that with oven chips and lots of salad.

One meal my whole family love is cold meat from the deli counter (we usually have turkey and roast beef) with new (or old!) potatoes with butter on and, of course, salad! My eldest just has the meat and potatoes because she hates salad!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Hi

We've had out tea early tonight as we were all starving :cool:

It was a nice summer evening tea of:

HM Macaroni Cheese-slightly cooled
    Mixed Salad(Iceburg, cucumber, radish, spring onion, chopped mint, beetroot & bacon sprinkles)
    Salad Cream or Mayo

Delish :D

Got a chicken breast left from the massive bird we cooked on sunday. So tonight/in morning will make this into a HM curry (using medium paste) for 5 good sized portions. Will be eaten tomorrow or bagged and put in freezer.

Penny-Pincher!!
    Xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Potato Wedges...reminds me of my Nan's chips. Except they weren't chips, simply potatoes cut in half and then put in the deep fat fryer.

At the moment we're sticking to a pile of salad, which I have to admit is a bit repetitive, but I do like to pick at my food. The variety comes in what we have with the salad, ie, chicken, pork etc....
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tonight we're having barbeque'd salmon steaks, baked potatoes with coleslaw, and mixed green salad.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport