Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we charge our grown-up children for living with us during lockdown?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we charge our grown-up children for living with us during lockdown?

59 replies 44.4K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
133 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
MSE Staff
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

They came to stay with my partner and I when lockdown was first announced so we could be together. They're both working from our home and both earn more than us, so I think they should pay their way while they're here. Yet my partner doesn't think they should because they're still paying rent on their own homes, and it's caused many an argument.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• littlegreenparrotlittlegreenparrot Forumite
    367 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    You are allowing them to take the mick. Why on earth haven't they gone home yet? 

They are adults with an income, of course they should be paying their way.
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You invited them to live with you and now you want them to pay for the privilege?
    the time to discuss payment was when you first invited them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    186 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Just another variation of a regular dilemma.
    they should pay towards food and utilities.. You should lay down rules before letting them move in.
    if they don't agree, show them the door and take their keys off them.
  • 7513mike7513mike Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You could ask them to pay the additional costs you face because they are living with you. But I think this is more about personal relationships than money.