Sh*t creek - is now in my rear view mirror...!

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nearly payday hope you are ok. Hugs, swx
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy to see you now have a car as that will save you time and help you to get relatives out and give you all a bit of air.
    Although what you are going through is extremely tough I am glad to hear that the insurance company is onboard.
    You will pull the budget back in when you can but there is only so much you can do and you are focusing on the most important thing.
    Take care x
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,975 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Keep plodding away and try to rest too.
    Don't worry about money saving, that can wait until everything is settled again.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all (warning long post)

So, I am looking in my rear view mirror, and Sh** creek is gaining on me, edging closer.... ha!  >:)

Negatives:

Saving - nope
    Surveys - nope
    Spending - yep +1
    Weight gain - yep
    Feeling sorry for myself - yep +1

Positives:

A car & some independence 
    Eating what the heckers I want and blow the flamin diet
    Coming home to the dog, doggie walkies and kisses

Bloody awful experiences in health for my poor old relatives. I am ferrying them between consultants at the moment. Ok, so it's my Dad just gone to neurologist and now awaiting further tests, but, MND does seem to be a stronger possibility.  :(

Mum, who is struggling with memory, now struggling with more frequent loss of bowel control.(+ urine, + others too long to list)

Thank goodness I actually have a car to take them, and I am driving (cautiously), so I feel I am doing something. Feel pretty powerless to help to be honest.

I felt some relief Dad finally agreed to see someone, as, he has had periods where he felt some improvement, then not. e.g. bad night cramps in legs and no sleep. Noticing his hand shaking a bit now, at times, which hasn't happened before, slurring words, difficulty finding words (or as he says, put them in the right order). Muscle weakness in upper arms, he can't lift a full kettle now, has to clasp cup/glass with both hands as his wrist suddenly 'goes'. And falls where he can't use his arms at all to lift himself... my poor Dad. It's bloody awful, like seeing someone you know and love so well, slowly disappearing a little bit each day, and he's not the same person...  aging and poor health are an absolute  :# barista-steward.

Mum soldiers on and I don't know how the hell she copes, I am praying her memory problems mean that she forgets and pootles around her own routines so isn't too weighed down by it all.

I am plotting to take her out and about, to give Dad a little rest/respite, and her a nice outing/distraction. Although works start on their home today, I don't know how they can feel any rest/relaxation, needs must. It may be for a month or so.... I have to hold it together, although unfortunately there are times when I feel I am going downhill, but the little dog pulls me back. How can you ignore those deep brown eyes, looking at you, so pleadingly?  <3 She gives me routine, fresh air, walkies, and love - doggie kisses. 

At least people around me locally seem happier with more places to go, things to do, slightly better weather (from frostbite to almost bearable bracing).  Sorry if this is a bit garbled. Off to see them both, waving a tempting car outing at them, to see if they want a break....

Take care of yourselves, all of you, and enjoy the lives you have. Time just seems doubly precious now, for all those you have and love, believe me it can all change very quickly....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Ren if it's any consolation your mom will have frustration periods where she knows what she wants but can't say it, there will be times she's in her own little world and other times the woman you knew. It is very hard for those around as you never know which you will be chatting with. All you can do is go with whoever is in front of you at the time. That's the way a good friend of mine coped with his parents.

Hopefully your dad will receive a confirmed diagnosis soon, then adaptions can be put in place to help him maintain independence.
    - Off the top of my head, there's a tilting kettle so no lifting required. When you get 5 mins it worth looking to see what disability aids are around, there's almost one for anything you can imagine.

Thank goodness you have got doggy, 'pets' are not classed as being therapeutic for no reason. Try and take time out for yourself, we can't have you putting pants on your head, sticking pencils up your nose and saying wibble.
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Babs

<3

I am finding it hard to focus, between the fire, insurance, trades, Mum, and now Dad. 

I am nearly at the stage of going 'la,la,la' and sticking my fingers in my ears....! That is dangerously close to wearing pants, pencils and wibbling.....ha!

However, the dog demands attention in her own, unable to ignore way, think nose-poking, shepherding me like a sheep from behind, paw taps, and such like. I definitely know who is the boss and its not me..... :D 
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    It's to be expected, you need support and a break too. Sometimes shoulders are not as wide as we want them to be.

The four legged ones are always the boss 😉
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You have done an amazing job of sorting things out and coping. The car will save you time, money and energy in the long run. Just remember it can also be used for a nice day trip for yourself to re charge! 
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Well done for holding it together at such a difficult time Ren ❤️ 

You are doing an amazing job. I hope your father gets a diagnosis soon and your parents can get some extra help so you can get some rest. Look after yourself x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback