Best Thing You’ve Discovered In Lockdown

Options

Comments

• grumpyoldwoman
    Options
    Anyanka1 said:
    If you think that is pathetic, I have also bought my first ever chip pan, of which I am terrified.  I have not actually used it yet, having relied on tasteless, dry-as-a-desert oven chips hitherto.  One day, I will find the courage to use it.  Any tips (without the sarcasm) would be gratefully received.
    Mmmm! I love home cooked chips. :)

If you're making proper chips from potatoes, as opposed to frozen chips, then after you've cut them up rinse them under cold water and dry them thoroughly before frying. Also, if you don't mind messing about, fry them at a lower temperature first until almost cooked, then drain them, turn the heat up, and give them a second fry for a few minutes to make them extra crispy.
  • Anyanka1
    Anyanka1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks, all.  I am here to tell you that the house, hubby and I all survived the first essay at chip-cooking.  I am sure, by most standards, they would have been considered a "disaahster, daahrling" but we enjoyed them.  They were somewhat soggy and took ages because I was too afraid to turn the heat up!  It was, however, educational and, next time, I will be less of a wimp.  It was that first hurdle of christening the pan which intimidated.  Next time, I will be braver.

Thanks again.
  • CreditCardJunkie
    Options
    Loved reading this post.
    The best thing I discovered in lockdown like many was that you just can't buy time & I've learned to enjoy a simpler way of life.
    I went back to work full time in June 2020 after being on maternity leave, started up my own business on the side...worked day and night til Dec (also becoming totally debt free), quit my 9-5 and became self employed! Few bumps along the way but I pretty much spend 95% of my time with my gorgeous toddler and I enjoy every minute of it! Business (touch wood) is ticking along just fine and sometimes I can't believe my luck!
    Debt Free as of December 2020 👏

Save 12k in 2024 #35
  • Sunrise27
    Sunrise27 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have realised that work actually keeps me sane. I only work 16 hours a week and have been furloughed through all three lockdowns.  towards the end of the first lockdown once hubby went back to work I found myself climbing the walls. I practically begged to go back to work as soon as I could. 
    Most of my colleagues are still furloughed for this third lockdown but I was unfurloughed as they needed staff to go in and again I'd asked to go back asap
    I didn't realise how important working was to me , a routine , structure,  social interaction and a reason to get up in the morning . Being furloughed definitely played havoc with my mental health. 

• DjangoUnchained
    Options
    bought a used cello off ebay 6 months ago and have been teaching myself. quite pleased with my progress. I play guitar and mandolin and have taken part in some online open mic and jam groups. 
  • NautilusEx01
    Options
    Having time to cook a decent mid-week meal!
  • welikebeef
    welikebeef Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That I prefer men.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business