IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Trace Recovery - 2 years on!?

Options
Hello, 

I have read through much of the info on here and don’t want to go over old ground, but think my circumstances are a little bit unique. 

Long story short, I received a letter from ‘Trace’ for a Parking Charge with a fine of £160. 

This was in June 2018. 

I was not the driver, I sent them a letter to their Registered Company address, explaining that I was not the driver and to cease communication with me or I would consider it harassment, and I didn’t hear from them again. 

Until now, almost two years later, they have decided to pop up with a fresh letter saying charge is “still outstanding” and now a further letter (pre-action protocol), giving me 14 days to pay. 

Does me initial reaction still apply, and is this even legal to decide to chase again 2 years later???

Many thanks! 

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May 2020 at 12:27PM
    Options
    It is not a fine.
    There is nothing unique or unusual about your case.
    The fourth post of the NEWBIES covers toothless debt collectors.
    It is neither illegal (criminal) nor unlawful (civil or contract law). The scammers have six years to issue a court claim in England and Wales and five years in Scotland.

What is the name of the PPC please?

What happened when the keeper complained to the landowner?

Has the keeper complained to their MP yet about this unregulated scam?

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to the forum .....

the answer sadly is yes .... they have up to 6 years (5 in Scotland) to take this to court

who is the PPC?
    where did this dastardly deed take place?

Ralph B)

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

It is not a fine, it is an invoice from an ex-clamper to compensate them for the alleged harm they suffered when you did what you did. We call it a scam. Pay them not a penny unless a judge so orders it...   If you have not already done so, please read the newbies thread at the top pf the index page.

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully, when life gets back to normal, it will become impossible for those scammers who are left to continue their vile trade, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • md9
    md9 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, 

I believe it was an NCP car park in Sussex. 

It seemed unique to me as I’ve never known such a long time to pass between communications. 

I have not complained to any land owner, or MP. Just sent original letter by recorded delivery. 

Assuming I just ignore them then? 

Thanks
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Pedant alert
    I have read through much of the info on here and don’t want to go over old ground, but think my circumstances are a little bit unique
    Nothing can be a little bit unique; it is an absolute state, it's either unique or it's not.  Anyway, pedantry over, you have the answers from other regulars but if there are other questions not answered in the NEWBIE just post again.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2020 at 10:13AM
    Options
    md9 said:
    Hi, 

I believe it was an NCP car park in Sussex. 

It seemed unique to me as I’ve never known such a long time to pass between communications. 

I have not complained to any land owner, or MP. Just sent original letter by recorded delivery. 

Assuming I just ignore them then? 

Thanks
    The debt crawler letter should tell you who the PPC is.

Two years isn't a long time since the parking scammers have another four years to issue a claim. We see this sort of thing a hundred times a week, and more and more scammers are trawling through old cases because their revenue stream is running dry at the moment.

A landowner cancellation is always the best route, and should always be done first before an appeal is ever made.
    Complaints to MPs are the only way this scam will ever get stopped.
    The advice is never to send anything by recorded delivery. Only ever use electronic means or first class mail from a Post Office counter and obtaining the all important free proof of posting.

As already advised, the fourth post of the NEWBIES tells you exactly what to do about powerless debt collectors.

If you get real court papers from the PPC or a scamlicitor acting for them, then come back to this thread after reading the second post of the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2020 at 12:17AM
    Options
    Getting debt letters is normal.  We have cases that are five or six years old, with huge gaps and then suddenly a court claim years leter, which we win. 

Court stage is your cue to win the case or get them to discontinue.

Debt letters are your cue to ignore them!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TRACE ?   is that to do with the new NHS app ????

IF NOT ...... they are fakers and to be totally ignored
  • md9
    md9 Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Will keep updated on any developments as and when, but will choose to ignore completely for now! 

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ignore does not mean bin documents. You never throw away docs that suggest you owe a debt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback