Pay off £20,000 (ish) by Xmas 2008

Options

Comments

• Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah, I've got a savings challenge going, so anything which is money I tend to stick in the account, vouchers get stashed. I almost get as excited seeing my little voucher envelope grow as I do seeing the cash in the bank.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • candyblue
    Options
    I would like to stop faffing too! But realistically I am not sure I could pay 20k off this year, would I be able to join the challenge with a smaller amount say 10k?? If the bank charges goes ahead I may be able to up it a bit
    £23366/ £39206.92 DFD Nov 2016
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK, I pledge to change my signature to include ALL my debt (some of it is "hidden") and to give myself an honest picture of exactly where I am, this weekend. Am working for most of the day and into the evening, so not sure if I am able to access everything today, but will certainly do so by close of play tomorrow.........watch this space!

Then, I will be using free stuff - vouchers, freebies etc for the free xmas challenge, but any extra money from ebay etc will go straight into the snowball calculator.
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • dsljfreeman
    Options
    I will join you also, it's always good to have support when you've pledged a challenge.

I want to pay off all my unsecured debt in 2008 which equals just over £11.5k, I've already joined a few other challenges regarding this but you can never have too many people helping you along the way.

I plan to hit this target by:

~ Earning money on cashback sites
    ~ Ebay anything that doesn't get used
    ~ Banking any money which hubby earns extra and is not budgeted for.
    ~ I go back to work in July and will be earning a little more than the smp I'm receiving now.
    ~ I plan to keep paying a certain amount to the cc's, even when the minimum amounts go down, in effect overpaying.

Laura x
    :j Bankrupt 6th October 2009 :j
    :beer: To a Debt-free Future :beer:
  • Pollydaydream
    Options
    Hi everyone.

Candyblue - £20 odd thousand is really pushing it for me and I don't really know how I'm going to do it, but I wanted to put it all down to give me a goal. If you feel it helps you to be more realistic (something else I'm working on!), I think that's fine. You can always carry on if you reach your £10,000 :)

Talking about being realistic, one of the things I know I'm doing too much of is wasting time. I keep signing up for surveys, entering comps, daily clicks, all the right stuff, but I seem to be jumping about from one thing to another and not really getting very far. I sign on with all good intentions of making money, then I start reading something, that leads to something else and 2 hours later I've made 20p and it's time to go to bed.

I think I need some discipline!

How does everyone else manage?

Polly
  • jpwhittle
    jpwhittle Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Options
    im the same as you polly. signaed up to so many sites and never use them so now ill start. if i make this amount iv cleared my debts and a big chunk of my mortgage so going to be very determined. also going to do match betting, another big way to earn a lot ikf you do it right and once iv got the christams present sorted hammer slice the pie to get some earnings in. i might just make it in this next 12 months.

just to be sure are we adding the money we usually pay of our debts to this challenge or just the extra?
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
  • howskint?
    Options
    I would like to join this thread too please! Recently sat down and totaled up my debts again for the first time in ages and got a bit of a shock!! Just under 12 grand! :eek: OH and I would really like to try for another baby and we've just got planning permission to build an extension. Neither of which we can do with this debt hanging round our necks so i think I've got him on board so it's all systems go.

i've joined a couple of challenges in the past but never got anywhere.

Have just put in for 32 hours overtime this month so should get that just before Xmas so will whack that straight off!

Good luck everyone
    howskint? x
  • findingmyownway
    Options
    I think it refers to ALL debts payments.

I would love to join this challenge - its a massive one but i think thats what i need.

I am going to go for £13,500 as thats what i need to get debt free. Snowball currently says DFD Oct 09 so to get anywhere near before next xmas would be a major achievement!!

How on earth are we going to manage it though (apart from the obvious of not spending!!). I have a super busy 6 months now, but after that may be able to get partime job. Ebay and quidco obviously.

Any more ideas?
  • Pollydaydream
    Options
    Hi JP

My aim for this year is to clear all the miscellaneous things I owe/need to buy and my credit card debt, so that I just have the loan left. I'm on a DMP, so about half of my monthly payment goes to the credit cards. I'm going to count that by marking how much they've come down each month. Then, when my miscellaneous stuff is cleared, start saving towards full and final settlements, so that hopefully by December money owed = money saved :)

Personally, as my aim is to clear the debts, I'm counting everything - extra money earned, vouchers, selling things, savings from monthly budget, you name it - I'm counting it!

By the way, I'm probably being dense but what's slice the pie?
  • jpwhittle
    jpwhittle Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Options
    its a music thing on the extra income board. you sign up rate music and get paid for it. not loads but the more stars you get the more you earn and it soon mounts up. quite an enjoyable way to make extra cash. just look on the extra income board and theres a link. plus some other ideas to.
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport