The DFW "Celebrate Christmas for free in 2008" Challenge

Comments

• sillymee
    sillymee Posts: 58 Forumite
    Just thought I would post my idea here; I've already posted full details in the referrers section (to comply with forum rules) but I thought it would be appropriate here too and I'm guessing the referres section is probably not somewhere that many DFW's may automatically look - so apologies if it seems spammy!

Basically, I've joined virgin wines and got £40 discount on my first order (12 bottles for under £27 delivered) and now I've referred loads more people and I now have nearly £200 to spend on wine! Almost sounds too good to be true, but it isn't - although do read full details before signing up.

As I'm really broke it will help make Christmas go with a swing! (my car just failed it's MOT because of a catalytic converter which I only had fitted in January - should be under warrantly but the garage have gone bust so I've got to pay for a new one on top of the £300 the other bits cost!). I'm intending on giving some bottles as presents with some nice choccies I picked up at M&S discount outlet and/or some cheese truckles in a nice box or basket or as part of home made hampers (much cheaper than the ones bought 'ready made')

Any other ideas for cheap but 'nice' presents greatly received, although I've been pretty good and got most of the sorted, so far.

Have a good one

Sillymee
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • noggin wrote: »
    hi everyone, ive just done my sums worked out how much id like to save by next christmas- £750. never realised i spent that much on cmas! :eek:
    it covers everything- £150 each of my children, £100 dh, £200 everyone else and £150 christmas week food shopping.
    I have worked out that if I get £2 in saver stamps each week from tescos, it will be almost enough to cover my food budget. Then, my £3/wk will total £178 by 16/12/08, I am also going to give my mum £15 every payday starting this december ending next November- thats £180. then, will include my mystery shopping money from now on- total £10 so far.
    Also compelted 2 on line surveys this morning- total 7000 points with test and vote, but cant get on website to check my total balance...

xx nog xx

I think this is a similar amount to what I am aiming for - judging by this year anyway. Would be good to get it cheaper though!
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have done my first pure profile survey - got £1 in the pot!!

I'm on my way :j
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Whenever I do a mystery shop that requires a purchase I always try and get something to put into my pressie box. Last year almost all of ds's stocking was done this way and cost me nothing :beer: :D
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • Great idea! I'll add that to the front page!
  • Whenever I do a mystery shop that requires a purchase I always try and get something to put into my pressie box. Last year almost all of ds's stocking was done this way and cost me nothing :beer: :D
    Who do you mystery shop for - I'd love reporting on the generally bad service we seem to recive in shops?
    :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • thanks for adding me to the list chocaholic :) I think this is a brilliant idea & would really love a free christmas next year. So I have just added up what I have so far & put it in siggy, will update it each month. I've started sending off for freebies that would be suitable for stocking fillers too so hopefully they will build up over the year. Off to have a read of the 1st post to get some more ideas now, thanks everyone
    good luck all :santa2:
  • sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    i did mystery shop yesterday and needed to spend £1 which i was getting reimbursed. so i was hunting for something for under £1 and saw some little boxes of xmas lights- either white or multi coloured, for 89p! they arent very long but go nicely around a picure frame in each of the kids rooms' and i will get 1 of them paid for! so i was pleased with that result!

chocaholic, do you have a big family to buy for at christmas? i just wondered with you wanting to save the same amount as me.
    this year i thought i was organised but only ended up with about £150 for everyone! so had to then find £120 for ds' DS(!) later on. thats why im sooo pleased youve started this thread, cos i defo dont wana be the same way next year. wana be quids in this time next year!!!

all my extras from now one will be assigned to my "stash".- ive made a little spreadsheet to track my progress and keep tabs on my survey points etc.

xx nog xx
  • noggin wrote: »
    i did mystery shop yesterday and needed to spend £1 which i was getting reimbursed. so i was hunting for something for under £1 and saw some little boxes of xmas lights- either white or multi coloured, for 89p! they arent very long but go nicely around a picure frame in each of the kids rooms' and i will get 1 of them paid for! so i was pleased with that result!

chocaholic, do you have a big family to buy for at christmas? i just wondered with you wanting to save the same amount as me.
    this year i thought i was organised but only ended up with about £150 for everyone! so had to then find £120 for ds' DS(!) later on. thats why im sooo pleased youve started this thread, cos i defo dont wana be the same way next year. wana be quids in this time next year!!!

You're doing great already!

I don't have an especially big family (well, I do but I don't buy for them all!!) but both OH and I have parents who have divorced and remarried which effectively doubles the number of parents we need to buy for! Plus I have two kids already and will have three by next year (though baby won't get as much!!), I usually buy a few things for my nieces as their mother doesn't really bother, I buy for my best friend and her three children plus I would like to have something for tickets for pantomime and Christmas events or such like.

I don't go overboard on food as we go to my Mam's house but we do contribute £40 towards meat. Don't buy a lot of sweets and biscuits as OH's aunts tend to buy us those as gifts (and we buy them very similar back, which is mad - wish we could knock that on the head!).

Plus I need cards and wrapping paper for next year which I haven't had to buy this year as I had loads from the year before. Willbe hitting the January sales for those though.
  • sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    he he, dont you love that awkward situation of buying identical things for aunts/cousins etc?! me and my cousin buy each others kids a bit of something each year, but i only tend to spend a fiver on each of them, as she has 3 kids. we used to buy each other a bottle of wine each year but as we had more children each we decided we had enough expense without doing that aswell. so luckily she was in agreement that we should stop but it can be awkward i know!
    im the same next year-need cards and wrap cos i bought loads last year and have managed to go without buying any this year-but will need to re-stock in jan also!!

he he, just printed my spreadsheet so i can stick it somewhere to keep updating my amounts!

doing well on toluna so far- only started doing surveys yesterday afternoon, and got about 20'000 points already! good news like, cos i thought 60'000 was alot for a HMV voucher, but obviously it will be easier tehn i thought!

(watch this space- everyone in my family will receive a cd/dvd/game of some sort next year at this rate!) good news though, cos ds and dh getting DS's for cmas this year, so hopefully theyll still be into these and can have a game each with my vouchers!

set up S/O yesterday for £15 each month to my mum- this is from dec-nov next year, so £180 altogether. plus my £3/wk. :D

im feeling enthusiastic!!!

xx nog xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family