The DFW "Celebrate Christmas for free in 2008" Challenge

Comments

• skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    OK - I'm in, will have to save ebay money etc elsewhere so it doesn't get swallowed up but looking forward to the challenge.
    Here's a tip...if you get xmas pressies you are unsure of make sure you keep the labels on if you don't return them - they are much more saleable on ebay this way!
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• I will all try to save any overtime money I get and increase in child benefit etc that isn't part of budget if that is Ok? Can I all save my free months of council tax?

Stressed xx

Good idea! Mine will get swallowed up with house insurance that is due at same time though :(
  • pheeni22
    pheeni22 Posts: 48 Forumite
    I've been doing a similar challenge for this year and it's been going quite well. I will continue this for next Xmas by using:
    • Boots points
    • vouchers from Pigsback
    • money from clicks
    • money from Ebay sales
    • Nectar points
    • money from Yougov surveys
    • money from Greenmetropolis
    and buying in the Jan sales and recycling gifts.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

DFW Xmas for free 2008 challenge: Gift vouchers £35, Money Spent £0
  • So for the second day running I woke up thinking about this thread - how sad is that?

I was thinking about buying things in the sales after Christmas. usually I go to Next, boots and BHS (who often start their sale before Christmas!) for my bargains - any other recommended places?
  • Sea78
    Sea78 Posts: 6,185 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hmmm...I also try the card shops too and the bargain shops sometimes have the gifts themed stuff on special for like 10p rather than £1 :)

B&Q often has good sales on their christmas stuff nearer to christmas. Woolworths and Tesco as well.

Sea xxx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:£37,016.47 now £0 DEBT FREE FEB 14

2022 Decluttering Campaign 49/1011
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Oohhh count me in please :T

I plan to use survey money, Nectar points, Quidco money, Pigsback points etc. Any income, vouchers etc over and above our usual income will be added.

I promise never to go to bed with a survey in my inbox ever again :D

I will start on Boxing Day too ;)
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • Oh well, as the saying goes....in for a penny, in for a pound.

Count me in on this one as well please.

Need to save what I can next year, due to being made redundant at the end of April.

Tea
    x
  • sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    hi can i join too please?
    im going to use ebay, mystery shopping, online surverys, tesco clubcard points, boots points, yellow pages money (delivering books again in february. its donkey work but good money).

i am also wanting to try out tesco saving stamps this time round, and have already started putting £3/wk away towards pressies next year. can i count these two things in the challenge? hopefully it will be ok, cos its the encouragement im after much as anything else.

not got any thing started so far apart from £3/wk for few weeks. so pretty much starting at a big fat ZERO!

thanks, happy stashing everyone!

ps- anyone interested in the yellow pages for their area- register on https://www.deya.co.uk, then wait to see if a team leader calls you nearer the time. it is good money for anyone who has the spare time to do it over weekends etc.

xx
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Can I join please? :T

Have used my clubcard points to get some nice "deals" pressies this year and got two free ipods for subscribing to DVD rental site for three months at a cost of £15 (from a recommendation on another thread).
    have used quidco to try online bingo sites where the cashback has exceeded the stake and even won some money once :D . Haven't dome surveys for a while. Maybe should start again........
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    Me too! I've tried to do this as much as possible this year but only started in November, think it's a great idea to start earlier and get the cost even lower. As an example this year one of my friends is getting a DVD bought from HMV with a voucher from ToLuna surveys, with some mini bath stuff bought with Boots points, in a nice make up bag which was 99p from Home Bargains!

I do all the usual survey/ clicks sites (Consumer Pulse is a particular godsend for vouchers), occasional bit of eBaying/ Greenmetropolis, Boots points and Tesco Clubcard points.
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport