PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS Daily Friday 30th November.

Options

Comments

• pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pipkin71 - thanks for that! You do quite well out of your chickens, don't you?!

There is white meat and dark meat? I just pull it apart and bung it all in the pot!

Like the idea of the chicken pasta bake. Can I find a recipe somewhere? I have Bisto white sauce granules at home for my lasagnes, so guessing I could use that.

I've been saying it for months now, but I really need to get my act together about sauces. I buy:-
    Dolmio Stir Ins
    Chicken Tonight Sauce
    Bisto Sausage Casserole Sauce
    White sauce Granules
    Cheese sauce Graules
    when really I should be making them from scratch.

I don't buy spaghetti bolegnese sauce though, that seems to be the only sauce I make from scratch (and yes I know it's very similar to Dolmio Tomato stir in things, I'm just scared of getting a tried and tested recipe wrong (Pasta, sauce, gammon) and the clan refuse to eat it)
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Pollyanna - we do a whole chicken one-pot dish. Put the whole chicken into a big pot with a lid. Season and add 12 whole garlic cloves (peeled but not chopped). Don't worry - this way the garlic flavour is subtle, not overpowering. Add big chunks of potato (whole new potatoes are good, when they're in season) and enough water to about half-fill the pot. Bring to the boil and cook at gas 4 for about 1.5 hours (depending on the size of the chicken) until it's cooked. I like to fish out the garlic and mash it into the potato.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • HariboJunkie
    Options
    Afternoon all! :hello:

Congratulations Catznine!!!! :beer: :T :j :D

Hugs to JackieO, Mrs Mix and her DS2 and Roz.

PenPen....Are you sure you haven't packed the stardrops and duster away with last years Christmas decs by mistake.:confused::p

Aussie.....Good luck to OH. I'm not going to say I'll keep everything crossed cos that's just asking for trouble from you. :rolleyes: :p

Moliere.....Was it you who said that those people who are cruel to Aussie should do shifts at night to keep her company? Well I'll be sure to tell Twink for you.;) :D For some reason when I log on at night her light goes off fairly sharpish. :confused::D

Pink.....My level of cleanliness is normal!!! :rolleyes: ;):p Can't wait to hear what you and Tim manage to create between you. You could saw the spoony end off a wooden spoon, et voila ....a drumstick!!! It's ok, you don't have to thank me. :D

Scuzz....Hope you're feeling brighter today... Try and look on the bright side and remember that 2007 is nearly over and you do have your health. ;)

Well I've just spent 3 hours in the hairdresser. :eek: Looks a lot better though. :o

At the office again and about to have coffee and cake with our employee who is leaving today. (any excuse for cake eh?)

Gammon and split pea soup and cheese and biccies for tea and then Card making!!!

Better go....My cake awaits. ;)

Haribo x
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Shez wrote: »
    Hello everyone!:hello:

Redruby - Have a good day down here tomorrow, weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so you should get nice views from the Eye! and shouldnt be too choppy on Old Father Thames!;)

THANKS Shez,

we were going to go to harrods and see the xmas lights, do you know if they are up yet ?

Sue
  • mioliere
    mioliere Posts: 6,838 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    POLYANNA - I make Paprika Pork using a ratatouille recipe and adding chilli spice. I always roast bite-sized pieces of pork (fillet/tenderloin is best) in some olive oil for about half an hour, then add bite-sized red, orange and yellow peppers, aubergine, courgettes and onion, roast that for another half an hour, turning so it all browns evenly, then add stock (you can use Oxo for this or HM stock from bones), add half a tsp paprika and half a tsp chilli then check to taste - you may want to add more of the spices depending on your own taste (or even some herbs and spices of your own. This dish was an experiment, really, but always goes down well). Add cornflour to thicken towards the end of the cooking - if it needs it. Once all the ingredients are in the dish, leave it in the oven on about Gas 4/5, 190C, 375F until you are hungry. Oh, today I have some left-over boiled baby potatoes which I shall chuck in about half an hour before eating. I love this recipe because, once it's all in the dish, you don't end up with loads of pots and pans. I am always looking for 'one-pot' meals because I hate the clearing up afterwards! It's lovely served with HM bread.

I'm doing beef stew tomorrow in the SC - it'll cook itself all day which means I can spend more time with my sister and her DH who are staying for the weekend.

Look in the indexed collections - there are hundreds of recipes on there, all from people like us. Great for inspiration, always economical and always tasty.

POOKY - I was very impressed with SKY and wrote to thank them, after my installation. I love the little blue socks the man put on over his shoes! They did an excellent job. The box stopped playing back after about 14 months - I had taken out the Sky Care Plan which they will offer you just before the first year's guarantee expires, and they replaced the box for me. The care plan costs £8.25 a month which I know is extra but I have already benefitted. I have also found them really helpful when I have needed to call them. did you get Sky+ - it's brilliant.

CATZ- congratulations on the job. I hope it goes well for you.

Well, I have loads of shopping to unpack, a dinner to get started and some paperwork to do so must dash.

See you later.

KathyXX

HARIBO - I meant you as well! In fact, you could both stay up all night then Aussie would not feel so lonely! What is the 'light'? Have I got something missing on my computer? Or is it just me? Probably!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
  • mrs_mix
    mrs_mix Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Catznine congratulations on your job must have missed where you mentioned it sorry
    kathy the little green light down in the bottom left hand corner of your post's shows when you are on-line
    pam
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you

I am one of the English sexy Shelias
    I'm also a hussy
  • HariboJunkie
    Options
    Kathy you have a little light which is green when you're on line and blue when you're not.;)

Just down here and left a bit. :D
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon All

Only one comment at the moment MEN!! Boths DS & DH.

Chalky will have a Spanish talk when I am in a better mood!

Hugs everyone.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    Good Afternoon All

Finished work now for the weekend. Got banging headache, so may get my head down in a mo for an hour.

DD was sick last night, I think it was the fact she ate too much at dinner time. She was fine through the night and this morning. So I know its not a bug

Hope weather stays dry at the wk end, OH plans to put up the Xmas lights outside. The decs inside, can wait! If I had my way, they wouldnt go up at all! BAR HUMBUG!

Plus he will finish off the tiling in the bathroom. As the council only did half the wall, he wants to add more tiles to make it look even. Luckily we've got the same ones from my cousin, and as an added bonus - they was free!

Pen-Pin - hope your selling goes well. Ive got 42 listed at the mo, with some ending this weekend. Im fed up of ironing shirts for OH for work, and they dont fit him, so I told him last night to go through them all, Ive listed whats suitable and used the others for rags!
    Aussielass - ((hugs)) for DH, hope his surgery goes well.
    Pink - what about those hand held shakers, make a dome out of a plastic bottle add a lolly stick as the handle, add grains of rice, secure, paper mache over the top to get the shape, then paint! Sorry, my ideas arent brilliant!
    Roz-v - glad your boss is willing to put the money in! (and so he should) This should be sorted out properly, and like you say, hope its avoided for next month. Do you have a union, could they get involved?
    Hillstep - (((hugs))) to you and your parents!
    Moiliere - thanks, I will persevere with it a little longer, see how it goes and if its the same, then I will call them. I baked a carrot cake the other night, that turned out fine. The victoria sponge I did the day after, was ok, rose a little, but not as much as it usually does, not sure if that was an ingredient thing or the cooker itself! With my luck alately, I hope its not the cooker at fault.
    Dlb - happy bargain hunting at the school fair, ours is next week.
    Congratulations Catzine!
    Donny Gal - can sympathise when you say Men!

Right best be off, going to check ebay and then put kettle on
    Bye for now
    Love Emma xxx

Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    :beer: Congratulations Catznine!!!! :beer:
    Hi pollyanna24.

The chickens are large and there's only myself and two DDs in the house, so they do make quite a lot of meals. Plus I make sure that absolutely no meat is wasted, so the darker meat is used in anything that will disguise it [fussy DD1!]. Unfortunately, it wont make a meal every night for the month but we get a fair bit out of the 4 chucks.

mioliere, spot on with the indexed collection. Before I found mse I bought frozen ready meals, and they were our main meal:eek: [hangs head in shame]. Not only was shopping costing me a fortune, I thought nothing of feeding my DDs economy chicken burgers:eek: , frozen tv dinners:eek: , economy burgers:eek: reconstituted turkey roll:eek: - regularly:o .

Now we home cook 90% of the time, my shopping budget is down and the food we eat is a lot healthier. The indexed collection is ideal for inspiration:j

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport