NST April 2020: Fools we are not!

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yesterday was better than the day before and today has been better than yesterday. Still working on the really difficult letter but have done the next most difficult letter - about repaying the money they have paid me. Having made the decision, they start recovery proceedings straight away, even though I am appealing against their decision (or DISPUTING as they call it - must get the terminology right or they will just ignore it, which they may do anyway).
    So I've told them my current situation, given them my income (£67-something Carer's Allowance), told them my final figures for self-employment for last year and given 21st April as the winding up date for my business and my claim for tax credits and outgoings, put down DS3's contribution to bills and that he buys his own food and asked that any repayments are in line with my income and outgoings. If I had the £5000 they have paid me in the last two years, I'd pay it just to be rid of them and their shenanegins.
    My current situation is (or was, managed a little distance now) close to melt down. Mum told me to stop the other night when I'd been working on it all day (with the ten pages of the 7 latest letters they've sent me - tax credits, my accounts book in the middle - I've found it more useful to keep notes when I've phoned them, info on Carer's allowance etc alongside the end of year accounts because I often need to refer to all three at the same time and it's better than having the letters loose.
    Yesterday morning I heard mum talking to her friend on the phone about how long I was working on it and how wound up I was, so now I'm worrying about mum worrying about me and it's absolutely intolerable. The letter I sent today was 3 pages long, the one I'm still working on is going to be 5 pages or more which is wrong in so many ways but I want everything in writing. I always used to photocopy everything but now they prefer you to do things on-line or phone and wait in a queue, which means when things go wrong there is only their record of what happened (if they didn't act on your submission or if they misinterpret what you say.
    I need to get it done and sent. I may be banging my head against a brick wall but once it's written I've done what I can and will await their verdict. Meanwhile I can get back to the important things like the seedlings in my polytunnel, putting together my little greenhouse, baking cakes (and bread, and potato cakes), changing mum's dressings, walkng more and having fun.
    Today I am grateful for luscious yoghurts, walking to the post box (only one collection a day at 9 am), spending some time in the garden, watching part of one of the lego movies, another episode of Peaky Blinders, getting mum watching a film on the laptop yesterday evening (she told her friend it was on Skype, bless) even though she looked like she expected it to bite her hand off.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    NSD. Thankful for sunshine, getting some windows sparkling clean inside and out, seedlings (again), lovely dinner tonight, the bin mean collecting rubbish, food waste and all of the recycling today
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    NSD
    Tomorrow is the big move back on to my bookshelves, some difficult good buys will have to be said. Very tired now.
    Grateful for learning how to do skin fades on boys, progressing on decorating, having video meetings w students, they did enjoy it, making it to go out for an 8 M bike ride, for boys helping around the house (a bit).
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback