Barclays Current Account and Blue Rewards

Options

Comments

• Tildaplum
    Tildaplum Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can feel a post coming on about how Barclays have somehow swindled you out of £4 in that you paid £4 in February and got nothing. what happens is when you leave blue rewards you get it back so for example:

Sept - you turn off blue rewards - any day will do -  nothing happens (other than you get a goodbye email)

Oct - on the 2nd or thereabouts you do NOT get charged £4.   In addition the blue rewards system looks at the previous month i.e. September and checks a. have you paid £4  b. have you paid in £800. If so you get paid rewards based on Sept direct debits etc

End run. Stop. Exit.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I received the reward after the first month of operation. As someone else said, as long as you make the deposit and the DDs come out AFTER you’ve activated it you will receive the reward for the first month. I’m impressed that so many people in this thread got it wrong.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tildaplum said:
    Oct - on the 2nd or thereabouts you do NOT get charged £4.   In addition the blue rewards system looks at the previous month i.e. September and checks a. have you paid £4  b. have you paid in £800. If so you get paid rewards based on Sept direct debits etc.......
    I am not sure this is what would happen. I reckon that once you turn off Rewards, the blue rewards system won't be looking at your account any longer. I won't be trying out whether my theory is right  -  why would I want to turn off the Rewards system whilst it pays me free money every month........................
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And just to clarify the Club Lloyds position - you get a 'by' in the first month  - fee waived even though you may not have fulfilled the preceding month requirement. 

• xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Even after all this - there is still confusion and conflicting answers. Some say you always get charged £4 no matter what for the first month, others say you will get your rewards if you switched it on before the DD comes on.

All very clever from Barclays - hats of to them. 

For me £4 is alot
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xlnc99 said:
    Even after all this - there is still confusion and conflicting answers.
    The only person confused is you. The answers are in the terms and conditions, but for some reason you won't read them. 
  • 20SmthngSver
    Options
    afis1904 said:
    I think they have the fee just in case someone doesn't fulfill the conditions as well as making it easier to class it as cashback for tax reasons.

And yeah you can just transfer the money in and out in the same day.
    They have the fee to make money lol. We'll give you £7 but we'll take £4 back. They could simply charge £1, but they upped it from £3 to £4. 
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 April 2020 at 4:38PM
    Options
    They have the fee to make money lol. We'll give you £7 but we'll take £4 back. They could simply charge £1, but they upped it from £3 to £4. 
    How are they making money by giving me £7(*) and taking £4 back? Looks to me that they are losing three quid every time they do this, at least on my account with them. Which is the only account I have with them, and it never goes below £0. Once they stop giving me £7, I'll be closing the account, or at least removing the Blue Reward from it.

(*) Right now, they are even giving me £14, and are still only taking £4 back. So they are actually ten quid down each month. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback