Barclays Current Account and Blue Rewards

Options

Comments

• xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Its clear as night and day that there are alot of people giving conflicting answers on here. Some say its in arrears, other say its not. Some say its one calender month since when you join that you will get charged for and some say its not. No-one really knows, Barclays have exploited a loophole meaning most customers who join will have to pay a fee without getting their reward. From month 2 onwards the reward will come
  • xlnc99
    Options
    carpy said:
    xlnc99 said:
    So many conflicting answers here! Barclays are crooks!

@carpy - They all charge a fee, halifax, bos and club if i dont put in money or DD each month
    halifax reward and bos vantage don't charge me a fee!!.....and club lloyds gets waived as i fund it with required deposit a month!!

Yes, same with all three. 

lloyds - 1500 deposit or a monthly fee
    halifax rewards - 1500 must be paid plus conditions or 3 pound fee
    bos vantage - 1000 must be paid in or 3 pound fee
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Options
    As Barclays wrote the terms and conditions it's not exactly a loophole, it's by design.  And they are not crooks according to the High Court, (goodness only knows how the SFO cocked that one up)

Oh, and nothing to see here regarding December rewards. :wink:
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    xlnc99 said:

Halifax do presently not charge any fee for their Reward account. You have a choice whether to stay on the Reward when it becomes chargeable later in the year, or to downgrade to a normal account. The monthly fee is easily avoidable, just like with the Club Lloyds account.

BoS Vantage has never charged a fee, and BoS have not announced any plans for a fee for that account.

The terms of all those accounts are crystal clear. I still can't see what they have to do with your issue with the Barclays Blue Reward.
  • xlnc99
    Options
    colsten said:
    xlnc99 said:

Halifax do presently not charge any fee for their Reward account. You have a choice whether to stay on the Reward when it becomes chargeable later in the year, or to downgrade to a normal account. The monthly fee is easily avoidable, just like with the Club Lloyds account.

BoS Vantage has never charged a fee, and BoS have not announced any plans for a fee for that account.

The terms of all those accounts are crystal clear. I still can't see what they have to do with your issue with the Barclays Blue Reward.
    When i upgraded to the halifax current account the other week i agreed to the monthly fee (whenever it starts) obviously waived if i meet the requirements. Same as club lloyds. My mistake on BOS - no fee but 1k must be paid in.

The reason i brought this up is because i am thinking i maybe charged a fee by these banks too like barlcays have done with me as i signed up late during the month and they will pull a fast one like barclays saying i didnt meet the requirements. 
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xlnc99 said:
    Its clear as night and day that there are a lot of people giving conflicting answers on here. ..... No-one really knows
    Barclays know, they wrote the terms and conditions. If you think the advice you've been given on here is contradictory, why don't you go and read those terms and conditions for yourself, and find out the correct answer?  I gave you a link to the terms and conditions, but here's that link again to make it easy for you:
    https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 April 2020 at 3:23PM
    Options
    xlnc99 said:

My mistake on BOS - no fee but 1k must be paid in.

No, you don't have to pay £1k into BoS each month. You just won't earn any interest if you don't. But then the question is why would anyone want to keep money in BoS Vantage for interest purposes when there are better options for earning interest.

xlnc99 said:

The reason i brought this up is because i am thinking i maybe charged a fee by these banks too like barlcays have done with me as i signed up late during the month and they will pull a fast one like barclays saying i didnt meet the requirements. 
    I think you may be over-thinking things. Why not just calmly sort out your issue with Barclays, as and when Barclays have time to deal with customers who might be missing three pounds for one reason or other.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 April 2020 at 3:33PM
    Options
    EarthBoy said:
    kaMelo said:
    What I did do is comply with DD's and pay in amount in November but only switched on Blue Rewards on Nov 29th.
    I don't know whether I got paid rewards when I shouldn't have been (in December) or not charged a fee when I should have been (November)  but I definitely haven't been charged a fee in a month (November) when I didn't receive a reward also. 

The first fee is taken the month after you join Blue Rewards, which you have said it was, so the fee was taken on the correct date.  You shouldn't have received the Blue Rewards until January so getting them in December was a win for you. :-)
    Not really - the reason they don't charge in month zero is that they always look the previous month for the credit / dd eligibility. If they didn't, you have the fee but no cashback in month zero.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dahj said:
    EarthBoy said:
    kaMelo said:
    What I did do is comply with DD's and pay in amount in November but only switched on Blue Rewards on Nov 29th.
    I don't know whether I got paid rewards when I shouldn't have been (in December) or not charged a fee when I should have been (November)  but I definitely haven't been charged a fee in a month (November) when I didn't receive a reward also. 

The first fee is taken the month after you join Blue Rewards, which you have said it was, so the fee was taken on the correct date.  You shouldn't have received the Blue Rewards until January so getting them in December was a win for you. :-)
    Not really - the reason they don't charge in month zero is that they always look the previous month for the credit / dd eligibility. If they didn't, you have the fee but no cashback in month zero.
    Yes, really.  The reason they don't charge in month zero is because the terms and conditions states that they won't charge in month zero; it's nothing to do with anything from the previous month:
    "The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards."
    https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/      -see under "Additional conditions for Barclays Blue Rewards".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback