Forum Home» Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Coronavirus travel disruption - latest info and your rights - Page 44

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus travel disruption - latest info and your rights

446 replies 58.6K views
13940414244

Replies

  • Chez62Chez62 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Having chosen not to renew our annual travel insurance back in May I'm now considering our future options. If I buy annual travel insurance now to take a trip to an 'exempt' country ( France / Greece etc ) then once Spain comes off the FCO non exempt list we decide to got to The Canaries ( for a winter trip) will we be covered  as we purchased the insurance whilst the Canaries were not on the exempt list. Really a case of trying to work out whether to take out annual insurance, as we normally would for several trips in the year or single trip at the moment. Obviously there is a cost implication. We're retired so the quarantine back in UK doesn't affect our plans only which countries are on the FCO Exempt list.
  • edited 13 August at 9:55AM
    blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 August at 9:55AM
    Chez62 said:
    Having chosen not to renew our annual travel insurance back in May I'm now considering our future options. If I buy annual travel insurance now to take a trip to an 'exempt' country ( France / Greece etc ) then once Spain comes off the FCO non exempt list we decide to got to The Canaries ( for a winter trip) will we be covered  as we purchased the insurance whilst the Canaries were not on the exempt list. Really a case of trying to work out whether to take out annual insurance, as we normally would for several trips in the year or single trip at the moment. Obviously there is a cost implication. We're retired so the quarantine back in UK doesn't affect our plans only which countries are on the FCO Exempt list.
    The key is not when you purchased the actual insurance but when you BOOKED the trip.
    At present you could BOOK the trip to France and be covered, but not Spain.

  • k3vwk3vw Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Not money saving I know, we managed to get very cheap first class flights on British Airways London to Nairobi for about £1750 return, booked in October last year for travel on 22nd August this year. A special treat of safari and beach for a 50th birthday. Kenya is not currently on the exempt list (and I do not expect that to change) so we will look to rebook/get a credit voucher. My question is what are my rights on getting the same cabin level? If I look now for the flight we are due to go on first class return is double what we paid at £3500 return, business class is about £2500 so also in excess of any credit. I know flight prices change but is there anything I can force BA to do to honour first class cabin travel irrespective of the price?
  • blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask the question in the Chat thread on headforpoints
  • silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k3vw said:
    Not money saving I know, we managed to get very cheap first class flights on British Airways London to Nairobi for about £1750 return, booked in October last year for travel on 22nd August this year. A special treat of safari and beach for a 50th birthday. Kenya is not currently on the exempt list (and I do not expect that to change) so we will look to rebook/get a credit voucher. My question is what are my rights on getting the same cabin level? If I look now for the flight we are due to go on first class return is double what we paid at £3500 return, business class is about £2500 so also in excess of any credit. I know flight prices change but is there anything I can force BA to do to honour first class cabin travel irrespective of the price?
    The BA section of flyertalk forum is very good for these sort of questions.
    i would think that if you take a voucher that is for the price you paid only, if you were in a position to rebook exact flights now, they may be more lenient, but I would doubt it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Where the tickets you booked a sale "offer" promotion? Worth reading the terms if they were. 
    Why the disinclination to travel? 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • k3vwk3vw Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We have no disinclination to travel, it is thenthe fact thatothat Kenya is not on the safe list allowed by the government.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k3vw said:
    We have no disinclination to travel, it is thenthe fact thatothat Kenya is not on the safe list allowed by the government.
    But the point is that, if the flights are going ahead, then that amounts to the same thing as far as the airline is concerned, i.e. if it genuinely wasn't safe to fly there then the flights would be cancelled, so FCO advice not to travel and/or the requirement to quarantine on return aren't the airline's issue and if you choose not to fly then that's regarded as disinclination to travel.  That doesn't necessarily mean you lose your money/points if you cancel but you have less rights than if they cancelled....
  • saracoppsaracopp Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We were due to travel on the 2nd August to Portugal but did not as the FCO advised against all non essential travel. On the beach say that as we decided not to travel they wont refund our money and our premium insurance s not back tracking and saying we are not covered. Any ideas where to try next to get our money back????? I have also logged a complain through ABTA.
  • blindmanblindman Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    saracopp said:
    We were due to travel on the 2nd August to Portugal but did not as the FCO advised against all non essential travel. On the beach say that as we decided not to travel they wont refund our money and our premium insurance s not back tracking and saying we are not covered. Any ideas where to try next to get our money back????? I have also logged a complain through ABTA.
    What are the T&C's for the insurance?
    If the flight went than it's an insurance claim.

Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support