🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• ircE
    ircE Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'll be on holiday at the turn of the month (there will be WiFi but I don't want to particularly be thinking about this while there) so I've asked them to deposit the whole thing into a current account. When I get a moment I'll be distributing it out to my other regular savers including opening the latest Skipton MRS if it's still available - and the remainder into Skipton MBS @ 5.5%.
    If I've understood correctly, you can set multiple destinations for the matured funds, including the interest, which has been pre-calculated. I think that's quite nifty, and haven't seen it elsewhere, so well done Skipton.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dekkard said:
    Apologies if covered already but what are people generally doing if they hold the Skipton Regular saver issue 2, maturing at the end of May?

Close early in case issue 3 is withdrawn before then?

I aim to close mine on the 30th.
    Open a new one on the 31st.
    Then make a manual payment on the first also.
    It's a plan.
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dekkard said:
    Apologies if covered already but what are people generally doing if they hold the Skipton Regular saver issue 2, maturing at the end of May?

It's a plan.
    I was thinking the same but perhaps a few days earlier just to be sure.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    dekkard said:
    dekkard said:

It's a plan.
    I may as well be daring, I shall close my Skipton RS manually on 31st May, open and fund a new 7% RS (if still available) the same day, send some of the balance to fund the minimum deposit on the SRBS Regular Saver and the remaining to the Member Bonus Saver. 
  • CuparLad
    CuparLad Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It would seem quite un-Skipton like for them to do that. I've always had a nice experience when dealing with them. They still seem to stick with the ethos of the Building Society movement, with the added benefit of being decent Yorkshire folk (appreciating that might sting with any Lancastrian's in the forum!)
  • Rudyson
    Rudyson Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 May at 12:16PM
    Options
    CuparLad said:
    It would seem quite un-Skipton like for them to do that. I've always had a nice experience when dealing with them. They still seem to stick with the ethos of the Building Society movement, with the added benefit of being decent Yorkshire folk (appreciating that might sting with any Lancastrian's in the forum!)

As a Lancastrian, I must grudgingly agree, I'm very happy with Skipton.

Just to add, you can indeed open a new Skipton RS immediately after closing the old one.
  • BooJewels
    BooJewels Posts: 2,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another Lancastrian who doesn't have a problem with it.

I looked at my maturity options this morning and was disappointed that the options for opening another account to receive the funds seemed limited to about 4.  I was going to open a members bonus saver to receive the 3k, but it wasn't an option, so I'll do it manually nearer the time and get the maturity funds sent to my BRT. 

Having seen the interest I'll get, I do seem to be about a pound down, due to the SO paying a couple of days late each month.  I reckoned I lost 19 days interest at a bit over 5p per day, per payment.
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dekkard said:
    dekkard said:

It's a plan.
    I may as well be daring, I shall close my Skipton RS manually on 31st May, open and fund a new 7% RS (if still available) the same day, send some of the balance to fund the minimum deposit on the SRBS Regular Saver and the remaining to the Member Bonus Saver. 

How do you close the Member Regular Saver early? Do you just withdraw the full balance and it closes automatically .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure