Payment by Debit Card

Options
When making a payment by debit card, do banks impose a daily or transaction limit.  I know there is usually a limit when making online faster payments, but I'd like to know if there are any similar restrictions with debit cards  
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't believe so, and certainly haven't experienced this, but it's difficult to generalise - which account(s) are you referring to?
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A payment from Metro Bank.  They have a limit of 21K (I think) when making a faster payment; and this is per trans/per day, but don't know if they have any restriction with DB card.  Like you, not aware of any restrictions, but I'd thought I'd check here  
    Before doing something... do nothing
  • Tildaplum
    Options
    I had my Lloyd's debit card declined once when trying to make a large payment about 25k I think to NS&I to buy some bonds

this thread may give you some more insight.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5415198/paying-a-big-amount-by-debit-card/p2

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes there are. But you won't get your bank to confirm the amount. As it is a security limit.
    Certain high risk retailers will have lower limits than the bank set.
    Places like NS&i tend to have a lot higher limit that other retailers. Due to the number of high value transactions.

All you can do is make the transaction. If declined ring the bank and a marker can be put in place to allow it to then go through when you try again.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Tildaplum
    Options
    Yes that's exactly what I had to do
  • JohnM5206
    Options
    The last twice when I have been paying for a car, the card has been put in to the reader and the salesman has then received a message to telephone a contact centre. I have then answered the various questions obviously to the satisfaction of the centre assistant and the transaction has been approved.
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    JohnM5206 said:
    The last twice when I have been paying for a car, the card has been put in to the reader and the salesman has then received a message to telephone a contact centre. I have then answered the various questions obviously to the satisfaction of the centre assistant and the transaction has been approved.
    I think the success and ease of use which JohnM and I have found is related directly to the way in which we are present during the sale and can be called to the phone by the Bank and can assure them, by answering every security question, that there is no fraud.
    What really annoys me is when Banks unilaterally decline a Debit Card transaction, whether it be to a new user or to a much-used online grocery supermarket-----often for relatively small or very small amounts, much to the consternation of the seller and much to my own annoyance. The Bank does not phone me or inform me or ask me if all is OK------they just cause mayhem. And, more often than not, they tell me, as soon as I find out ( which may be too late to save the purchase), and  phone them, that my Debit Card was merely randomly picked that day for ANY transaction to be declined. I think that is a disgrace. They should do just as they have done when I have been sitting with the seller eg. when buying a car-------make sure they talk to me before they take it upon themselves to cause havoc by declining payment just to amuse themselves.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I paid for a car then went to the PO to tax it, the card transaction failed.  I tried a cashpoint and it rejected the card.  Went into branch and they said I had exceeded the daily limit but gave me enough cash over the counter to buy the tax.  Used the card next day without problems.
  • oli356
    oli356 Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep and seems like they alll vary in the limits as well. 
    For example Monzo has £10k for daily card transactions and £10k for daily bank transfers.
    I don't see why the bank wouldn't tell you though if ask.. 
  • sausage_time
    Options
    FD declined my card and then blocked it when I tried to spend >£20k.  They said I should have called them in advance.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure