New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NI MOT tests suspended

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
101 replies 5.9K views
reduxredux Forumite
22.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I just found this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51273872
All MoT tests for cars and light vehicles in Northern Ireland have been suspended with immediate effect.

The Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) said inspections of lift faults in test centres did not provide "sufficient assurance" on the effectiveness of ongoing repairs.

An inspection of all vehicle lifts in NI's MoT centres previously detected "signs of cracking" in 48 of 55 lifts.

MoT exemption certificates are being issued so motorists are able to drive.

The DVA said anyone scheduled for a car or light vehicle MoT on Tuesday "should not attend".

Test on heavy goods vehicles and buses will continue.

Replies

• BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    This country is an embarrassment
  • qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate it when they bounce your car up and down in the test. I spend my time avoiding doing things like that - the car ends up taking more abuse in the test than it does all year.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when they bounce your car up and down in the test. I spend my time avoiding doing things like that - the car ends up taking more abuse in the test than it does all year.
    Totally agree, no wonder the ramps have failed!
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    20.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for info, you can still book an MOT. I've booked one for next month for my car this morning there.

It looks like only those they cant fulfill right now are being suspended. That might change but i'm not going to "assume" i'll get an exemption @ the start of March for mine, then not be able to book because theres a backlog.
    Just because you're offended doesnt mean you're right
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Down south you only have to do a National car test (the equivalent) every two years. It may be enough.
    Scooters and motor bikes are not subject to tests at all.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • reduxredux Forumite
    22.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it slightly amusing and a bit perturbing that folks who are checking cars all day didn't spot the lift faults a bit sooner.

Between the whole batch, they shouldn't have got past two or three occurrences before inspections and repairs were mandated.
  • guirimanguiriman Forumite
    478 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    motorguy wrote: »
    Just for info, you can still book an MOT. I've booked one for next month for my car this morning there.

It looks like only those they cant fulfill right now are being suspended. That might change but i'm not going to "assume" i'll get an exemption @ the start of March for mine, then not be able to book because theres a backlog.

I read somewhere (Q&A on the BBC or Belfast Telegraph most likely) that you'll only get a four month extension if you have made an appointment and had it cancelled, so you've done the right thing
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigAl94 wrote: »
    This country is an embarrassment

Relax. They’ve had to abandon the jacks down south as well ( could be confusing if you know Dublin slang). You’re still expected to present your vehicle for test, where only brakes and lights will he checked , but you won’t get a pass certificate so you’ll still be driving illegally.
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
  • edited 30 January at 2:51PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January at 2:51PM
    Eire NCT has taken a more pragmatic approach

“NCTS were recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model of MAHA lift. Following that information, condition surveys have been instigated.”

The statement continues: “All customers should continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal.

“The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use.

“Customers will incur no additional costs as part of this process.

The Vehicle Inspection report will be issued at the time of testing and a certificate will be issued when all stages of the test have been successfully completed.

Vehicle Inspection report will be accepted by Garda, Insurance companies, Road Tax etc