PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Post office van drove into my brand new home

Options

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Erb2710 wrote: »
    Also can I add to this story a key element I have missed out which is why I'm angry about the situation.
    The driver drove off and left no details. I found a piece of his van on my driveway and red paint on the floor and did my detective work.

I think the disrespect is what's upset me.

You should have gone to the police, that’s an offence.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Few days after we moved into our new-build in November, a truck reversed onto our front lawn by mistake and left a massive great rut in the grass.

We carefully rolled back the turf, filled the hole and levelled the soil underneath, and laid the turf back.

*shrug*
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you ever had a house you bought driven into ?

No. I drove my red mail van into someone's wall just after Christmas though.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BooJewels wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't understand? Nor am i sure what you're implying.
    i meant given their accuracy (unless under Knickebein beam guidance) you may live on the fringes of civilisation
    round us, there are a lot of holes in fields to bear witness to their efforts, and we were not a decoy site, so no reason to drop em on us
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice.

I'm new to this forum and appreciate your help.

Something small, funny and insignificant to yourself (such as small damage) can be much more significant to someone else.
    I spent many years saving for my house deposit and I cant help to feel upset that someone drove into my hosue and then simply drove off without any due care. Yes I know that's life but I feel like it's easy to laugh at this happening to me but would you be laughing if this happened to you? I would not laugh if this happened to my neighbour. I'm very new to home ownership and was simply asking for advice.

Thanks again!

If it were to happen to me Id speak to my insurance company first even if its for some advice and then approach RM to pay for a surveyor.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They were great I cant fault them!
    I simply came on this forum for advice from experienced home owners which i have recieved. I am learning as we all are in life.
    Did not come on here or offend people or myself to feel as stupid as I do. I get it I'm overreacting but we are all precious over things we have worked hard to own. Thanks for everyones help

Well good for you that you can now see how daft this all is :)

No one is meaning to make you feel stupid, a lot of the posts here today are just pure banter to make you see that the sky hasn't fallen, no one has died, and the 3 bricks that were harmed in the making of this drama, have been replaced :)

Enjoy your new home
  • ethank
    ethank Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Perhaps then I would be expecting a gesture of goodwill and a real apology.

So am I correct in thinking that a surveyor should be supplied by the RM to ensure the damage is repaired.
    But if its fixed what would they be surveying?
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    Fair play to the OP, most newbies come on here, get an answer they maybe don't want and flounce off in a huff. They took the comments on board. Welcome to the forum.

I think they're right to feel like the shine was taken off their new home, especially after the disrespect and plain lack of morals shown by the RM driver driving off. But I'm sure like all of us it'll just be something to rant about occasionally over the years as opposed to a life ruining moment!

My brother had the developer/builder swing a skip into the corner of his house, smashed a section of render off and buckled the metal edging strip the put on the corners. Never looked right after the repair, you can still see it. Now that's a reason to still be miffed as it was ruined forever, but it's still one of those things he got over.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If it were to happen to me Id speak to my insurance company first even if its for some advice and then approach RM to pay for a surveyor.
    I'd advise you to be very wary about doing this. Even if you simply seek 'advice', and never make a claim, that will go on your file with the insurer and may well impact your next renewal premium.

No - not fair or sensible, but that's something insurance companies do!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    I'd advise you to be very wary about doing this. Even if you simply seek 'advice', and never make a claim, that will go on your file with the insurer and may well impact your next renewal premium.

No - not fair or sensible, but that's something insurance companies do!

Might be quite sensible: "We weren't previously aware that your house was at greater than average risk of having road vehicles drive into it, but thanks for letting us know - we'll make sure to adjust your future premiums accordingly..."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure