We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

2020++ - smiling and waving and looking so fine

1…148149151153154…187

Comments

  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Inspired by the return of BCNS and her threat to read my diary I flicked through some of my earlier posts (going up in 10s and reading on if it was more exciting than usual.  Not quite a roller coaster, but definitely not a walk in the park :smile: - Notes:

    * You all have been fabulous in supporting me and giving me different perspectives: some run through the thread like a rock; others dip in and out leaving glitter behind them when we have the pleasure of their company for a while
    * I have (fingers crossed) got the debt to bed and now witter on  about savings pensions and mortgages - but I think they are now just ticking along smoothly, which is nice
    * I have absolutely obsessed about fitness/steps and weight and haven't actually succeeded in doing a lot about either can't believe I was a gnats breadth away from 200lbs and now I'm back to 3+ stone heavier
    * Am beginning to look forward more and more to 2024 and all that brings (180 days to R-Day) - I am not wishing the years away, but when I started 1/1/2020 I only had vague hopes/thoughts/prayers of what might be achieved and I am now happy I can manage that big change (unless the world has another meltdown) so am keeping options

    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 2,115
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    How lovely to read your review. I'm one of those who subscribe but rarely comment - think I'd rather like to be glitter 😂😂. I really enjoy reading your posts and wish you all the best in your efforts to be healthier - I have those laudable intentions too. And finally, retirement is great. I retired completely in September last year and it's a huge relief not to have to get on top of new advances and research, I'm sure you will love it when it arrives. 
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you maggiem that's lovely.  And also very reassuring!!
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    mark55man said:
    * You all have been fabulous in supporting me and giving me different perspectives: some run through the thread like a rock; others dip in and out leaving glitter behind them when we have the pleasure of their company for a while


    You have a nice turn of phrase. I appreciate the same in my diary too. Time commitments mean some people are sporadic but still welcome.

    Commiserations on the 3st. I totally relate.

    Best of luck with your on-going journey. Well done on the 3 year anniversary of no overdraft.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank you SH - I have found that I am lurking more in recent months and writing less - reacting more to events or calls for help than general chit chat.  Like maggiem said - just because you are lurking doesn't mean you are not enjoying the content - and if now and again you drop a glitter bomb well then that's just fabulous
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    First comment on the new look and feel MSE site.  Not sure I like it but will learn to love it no doubt

    Only just 1/3 way through the month and things looking a bit tight.  But as t2rry said on her thread its that feeling skint feeling that stops the fritter.

    OH and I have been trying to be more hospitable and have had a few people around - and as a consequence are keeping on our toes tidy-wise.  Hence we are a bit less cluttered than usual - which is nice.

    Work has been quiet for a bit, but is picking up so will be travelling a little more - which is cost neutral but can bother the cash flow.  I will use CC for business expenses but otherwise have used it sparingly and for smoothing at the end of the month when payday is imminent but not yet there
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • t2rry
    t2rry Posts: 1,118
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I love how tidy our house can be when we just have people visiting!!

    Sometimes I pretend someone is going to turn up in 10 minutes to force me into that panic tidying mode, get so much more done that way than any other!!
    Debt Free I FFEF I Building Savings I 2026 Plan:
    1. 25/26 Pension £3,100/£3,100
    2. Regular Savings £7,690/£6,900
    3. Slush Fund £12,960/£10,000

    Save £12k in 2026 - #17 - £23,750/£20,000 (119%)
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 8,221
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Love it - will have to try that t2rry
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 29,234
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have deliberately invited people before now just to make myself tidy. I'm lucky enough to have a weekly cleaner - but again that prompts me to at least make it look respectable before she arrives. Now I'm selling - it's a huge motivator to know I have to keep it tidy between viewings... 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality
    1) MFW Nov 21 £202K now £165K Equity 38.88% 6/9/26
    2) £1.5K Net savings after CCs 29/8/26 (but owed £130) so £1.6K
    3) 47/82K @29/8/26 = 57.31% AVC Goal by mid 2028
  • Have enjoyed catching up with your diary Mark :) Shame the ambassador thing didn't work as I always think you're a firm but fair voice on these boards...
    DFD March 2025 (£35000 paid off)
    FFEF £20000 saved
    Currently treading water while having cancer treatment and trying not to dip into FFEF too much!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.