The "Save 12k in 2020" Thread!

Options

Comments

• YouWithTheSadEyes
    Options
    Hi SF
    Could you add me with a target for this year of £8,000?
    Many thanks in advance.
  • HCIMbtw
    HCIMbtw Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ermm i'd like to be involved please.. Providing nothing unexpected happens plan to save £10,800 but hoping for more!
  • tommyedinburgh
    Options
    Really looking forward to this starting, does anyone have a definitive list of what counts, for example do folk include work based pension contributions etc?
  • garfield33
    Options
    Hello, please can you put me down for £7k? Nowhere near it this year, maybe next year!
    Thanks again for running this :)
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Really looking forward to this starting, does anyone have a definitive list of what counts, for example do folk include work based pension contributions etc?

There's no rules on this forum, Tommy, right rebels we are!

Everyone counts things differently. Personally I don't count pensions, mortgage overpayments, or money that's earmarked for particular spending later on, but others do.

Just be consistent to yourself and do what makes sense to you :)
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    There's no rules on this forum, Tommy, right rebels we are!

Everyone counts things differently. Personally I don't count pensions, mortgage overpayments, or money that's earmarked for particular spending later on, but others do.

Just be consistent to yourself and do what makes sense to you :)

Yes, I echo this. Whatever works for you. I did not count my pension contributions (deducted before tax and before it reached me) or the growth in my investments or savings - just the "active" bits I squirrelled away from my received income, be it regular savers, S&S ISA or Tilly Tidying (rounding down to the nearest £10 in my bank accounts).

Now we are not working I am going to include loyalty payments, cash-back, interest and dividends but not the shuffling of capital into saver accounts (only the bit they increase by). Once I have counted it as savings it is up to me what I do so I do make some OP to mortgage from accumulated bits and pieces and don't take it off.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • tommyedinburgh
    Options
    Yes, I echo this. Whatever works for you. I did not count my pension contributions (deducted before tax and before it reached me) or the growth in my investments or savings - just the "active" bits I squirrelled away from my received income, be it regular savers, S&S ISA or Tilly Tidying (rounding down to the nearest £10 in my bank accounts).

Now we are not working I am going to include loyalty payments, cash-back, interest and dividends but not the shuffling of capital into saver accounts (only the bit they increase by). Once I have counted it as savings it is up to me what I do so I do make some OP to mortgage from accumulated bits and pieces and don't take it off.

This is exactly what we will do! We are determined to get off to a good start, however, January is likely going to be a total pain in the neck!
  • pip2468
    Options
    Hi, I'm another long time lurker who would like to sign up for this challenge! I'm aiming to save £5,000 in 2020.

Thank you, slowlyfading, for running this thread :)
    Save £12k in 2023 - #40 (£0/£5,000)Save £12k in 2022 - #71 (£3,152.82/£5,000)Save £12k in 2021 - #83 (£4,538/£5,000)Save £12k in 2020 - #70 (£4,734.37/£5,000)
  • geoffers4
    Options
    There's no rules on this forum, Tommy

...well...apart from the 3 rules stated on post #1 at the top of the page!
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    geoffers4 wrote: »
    ...well...apart from the 3 rules stated on post #1 at the top of the page!
    :rotfl:Touche Geoffers! Though I'd prefer to see them as parameters! :D
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills