We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The "Save 12k in 2020" Thread!

Options

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Spreadsheet updated :) our collective target has passed £1.6mil :j :j
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • funkymonkey
    Options
    I sold my car so this months update is going to be the best month of the year lolz

Ive updated my signature but will send in the form at the end of the month in case i manage to squirrel away anything else.

Trying to fill in order of LISA, Reg savers, etc to maximise my interest and a tiny amount each month to the premium bonds (I dont play the lottery so this is my one guilty pleasure and you never know!)
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have finally been paid for some work that I did in September and October. I have paid for three sets of two Harry Potter theatre tickets and two tickets to have a tour around Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey). Our treats for this year.
    I am declaring £3615.15 for this month. :j
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sold some things on FB over the weekend so have £30 to put into savings come Monday yay!

Does anyone else get the selling bug when you've sold something? I'm now actively going round the house trying to find stuff to sell.

Hi Sausageelza,
    I also get the selling bug. I can't wait for the warmer weather / late spring to arrive so that I can do a boot fair again.
    I did very well with WE Buy B00ks last year. I also take clothes down to a second hand shop and make good money there.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • SalchowLoop
    Options
    Not great do far this month, waiting to start a new job and have some CC debt to clear over the next few months.

However, thanks to my bank's save the change feature, and a bit of tidying now and then, I've managed to save £6.73 so far. Hoping I'll be able to add some more to that come the end of the month. I start my new job on the 20th and have been told I'll get some pay on the 31st.
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Not great do far this month, waiting to start a new job and have some CC debt to clear over the next few months.

However, thanks to my bank's save the change feature, and a bit of tidying now and then, I've managed to save £6.73 so far. Hoping I'll be able to add some more to that come the end of the month. I start my new job on the 20th and have been told I'll get some pay on the 31st.

Good luck in the new job, it must be tough to manage any savings when you're between jobs.
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • clowning
    clowning Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have managed not to buy anything unnecessary so far this month, though I'm aware we are only 9 days into the new year. I'll be counting the interest paid into my current accounts and I am considering opening a Santander account for the cash back on the bills I pay. I think I will be better with the 123 Lite and sacrifice any interest.
  • funkymonkey
    Options
    its so annoying - ive got to have a crown fitted - goodbye £500 from this months total! :-(
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • 5t3ve
    5t3ve Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Think I'm going to give this another go this year - I struggled to keep track last year so want to do better this year!

Target is £10k. I've updated the automated spreadsheet form thingy with this month, the breakdown was:

DD JISA - £100
    DS JISA - £100
    Sharesave Scheme - £220
    Sharematch Scheme - £30
    Personal ISA - £219

Total - £669

Hoping to have some leftover cash at the end of this month which I'll add into Febs savings which will hopefully snowball to hit my target.
  • Betharooni
    Options
    Still got some more savings to go this month but currently have saved £918.91 for January.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure