The "Save 12k in 2020" Thread!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    geoffers4 wrote: »
    Interesting analysis bsms! I'm surprised at the no. of savers slightly falling each year - anyone got any ideas why?

The other big factor is the no. of people who start a year but don't finish it. Obviously this can happen for lots of reasons, and generally we never hear from these people again so don't know their particular reason. But if I can be bothered(!) I might try to see if there is any underlying trend for completion rates.

Along with that analysis will you look at those who register, never to be heard from again please? I have taken to not updating my target if I exceed it to slightly offset this annoying feature (I know there can be lots of reasons why people disappear) but basically if they don't subscribe to the thread and then regularly check their UserCP view I am sure that some simply "lose" the thread
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Wentthedaywell?
    Options
    Along with that analysis will you look at those who register, never to be heard from again please? I have taken to not updating my target if I exceed it to slightly offset this annoying feature (I know there can be lots of reasons why people disappear) but basically if they don't subscribe to the thread and then regularly check their UserCP view I am sure that some simply "lose" the thread
    It would be interesting to know if there are serial drop-outers who sign up every year, bagsie an early number, then are never heard of again till the next sign up after which they disappear again for another year! :rotfl:

Not that I mean they should be publicly named and shamed or anything, we are a friendly thread and people have their reasons :) But it is a waste of Slowly's time. And it's also annoying for regulars to see all those blank early rows, especially if you were later off the mark and have to scroll to #eleventy million to try find yours!
    Save £12k in 2022 thread #7:

Save £10,000 Jan-May 2022 THEN RETIRE!!
    Final total for (half) year: -£4,000
  • sausageelza
    Options
    Sold some things on FB over the weekend so have £30 to put into savings come Monday yay!

Does anyone else get the selling bug when you've sold something? I'm now actively going round the house trying to find stuff to sell.
    12K in 2020 #85 £215.53/£3K, Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #11 £34.31/£300, Frugal Living Challenge 2020, Grocery Challenge Jan 2020 £265.54/£450
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    but basically if they don't subscribe to the thread and then regularly check their UserCP view I am sure that some simply "lose" the thread
    This is a hard thread to lose. I don't participate (I'm supposed to be in the spending phase of life) and I keep finding it. Well done to all the savers who get anywhere near their targets.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • savingmore
    savingmore Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I do want to participate .... I am going to count all the savings I make by being over 60 and literally put money in a tin and see how much it is at end of year. this will be included in overall 12,000.

still not sure how to get my number on the list?
  • funkymonkey
    Options
    Hi Slowlyfading;

I just have a question about updates. Do you prefer them monthly? I dont want to hound you with a form every week if everyone else does their total monthly!
    #113 12K in 2020 Challenge #113 £17,103/£12,000 £15000
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi. Can I join? I need to save £5k this year! It’s a lot for me to find but I’m going to do my best! X
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    savingmore wrote: »
    still not sure how to get my number on the list?

Hi savingmore, you are on the list as no. 84
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I just have a question about updates. Do you prefer them monthly? I dont want to hound you with a form every week if everyone else does their total monthly!

This is why I just send one monthly form, to save SlowlyFading lots of extra work. As far as I know, it's a manual job to copy each figure over onto the main spreadsheet, nothing automatic. And I only send the form in once I'm absolutely certain the numbers won't change (normally late evening on the last day of the month!) but I think others are a lot more organised than me.
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How do you get the form? I’m a newbie but promise to stick it out for the length of the year
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback