20 20s for 2020
in Old style MoneySaving
251 replies 31.3K views
Latest MSE News and Guides
British Gas prepay meter users...
...to pay less for gas from 1 AprilMSE News
The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023
What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?MSE Forum
Energy Price Guarantee calculator
How much you'll likely pay from AprilMSE Tools
1. Drink 20 glasses of water a week
2. Complete 20 knitting projects
3. Donate 20 things to the food bank
4. Save 20 £20 pound notes (and not touch them til the end of the year!)
5. Try 20 new veggie recipes
6. Walk 10k steps 20 times a month
7. Watch 20 films I've never seen before
8. Do 20 house jobs (that I've been putting off)
9. Loose at least 20lb
10. Print and hang 20 new photos
11. Go for 20 walks
12. Sell 20 items on a selling site
13. Declutter 20 things
14. Read 20 books
15. Do 20 minutes of exercise a week (excluding steps)
16. Donate 20 books to charity shop
17. Save or spend £20 a month just for me
18. Spend 20 min a week on my journal
19. Try 20 new foods, be it sweet or savoury
20. Spend 20 minutes a day on me, be it a nice soak, knitting or anything else I fancy!
It’s not my thread, but I am sure you will be most welcome to join in, it’s a really friendly bunch on the OS board, the more the merrier to cheer each other on.
Early retirement goal... 2026
Reduce, reuse, recycle .
I also like the idea that the 20 things are not resolutions but things to bring enjoyment or even Joy!
A few potentials for the list -
1) Lose 20lbs
2) 20 screen-free evenings at home (no tech, no telly!) (Be easier to schedule 2/month)
3) 20 outings, day trips or date nights, with DH
4) Create 20 things, crafting or painting
Will come back with better list!
I was given a lovely notebook for Christmas so I can use that to record progress
1) read 20 classics
2) read 20 children’s classics
3) watch 20 classic films
4) listen to 20 symphonies
5) see 20 performances (cinema / theatre / concerts)
6) visit 20 churches
7) recognise 20 special days (http://projectbritain.com/specialdays/jan.htm)
8) cook 20 soup recipes
9) try 20 different fish
10) try 20 flavours of ice-cream
11) play 20 different board games
12) learn 20 piano pieces
13) create 20 things (poems, cards etc)
14) organise / do 20 jobs on the house
15) make 20 donations to the food bank
16) 20 eco challenges (e.g. repairs / upcycles / greener versions)
17) deliver 20 work targets
18) walk 2020 km
19) declutter 2020 items
20) pay off £2020 on the mortgage
My 2020 list is
1. Have 20 health and beauty appointments
2. Lose 20lbs
3. Lose 20lbs
4. 20 minutes of exercise every day
5. Spend 20 minutes a day on my health and appearance.
6. Have 20 new outfits
7. Go to 20 social activities
8. Have 20 alcohol free days a month
9. Have 20 No Spend Days a month
10. Make 20 charity donations
11. Give 20 presents for no particular reason
12. Deal with/clear 20 items of paper a week until it’s all sorted
13. Make an extra £2020
14. Save £20,000
15. 20 internet-free evenings (from 6pm)
16. 20 news-free days
17. 20 minutes a day studying
18. Do 20 things to simplify financial organisation
19. Spend 20 minutes a day clearing and cleaning
20. Do 20 random acts of kindness
A couple of these things might end up overlapping or happening at the same time. Some will be easier and others a challenge but I have tried to stay true to myself and also to what I am able to cope with at the moment. I am looking forward to some and dreading trying to complete some of the others but looking forward to the new year and making a start.
- Make 20 things (sew, knit or craft)
- Bake 20 different sweet treats
- Make 20 new meals
- Make 20 non meat dishes
- Visit 20 places with Historic Scotland membership
- Walk 20 different routes
- Go on 20 bike rides
- Run 20 different routes
- Open water swim in 20 different locations
- Find 20 geocaches
- Plant 20 bulbs or plants
- Spend 20 minutes in the garden each week either gardening or enjoying it
- Read 20 books
- 20 donations to the local food bank
- 20 minutes a day with no technology
- Spend 20 minutes a week planning house and garden projects
- Practice flute 20 times on something not work related
- Listen to 20 new musical acts or groups
- Support 20 local independent businesses
- Do 20 things with nobody else
I've tried to include things I'll definitely be able to do, things that will take a little more work, and things which will be a push but in a good way. In the same vein I've also made mine have different focuses, so health, fun, hobbies, and social. Having a variety of things to do will hopefully mean I can find things to tick off no matter what.
Some of it may sound silly or too easy, however it's all mostly hard for me.
The likes of Spending £20 on myself per month, I very rarely spend money on myself but quick to spend on others.
The 20 cans of coke - I can go through 20 cans of Coke per fortnight or less, so to cut it in half will be a task in itself.
Saving money is anther thing I struggle with so this will be my year.
Paying off my debt, that's another task, but when I look at it as 20 payments of £20.20 it looks like nothing, so if I can start off with doing that, then I can carry it on and be debt free by this time next year, if not sooner.
The de-cluttering will be no bother, I enjoy doing that and done a bag a day this year so I can carry on with that.
I realise I said it will be hard, but that doesn't mean it won't be enjoyable to me. I like a challenge so bring on 20 of them :rotfl: