Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers?

159 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• edited 15 December 2019 at 9:50AM
    The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 15 December 2019 at 9:50AM
    30% discount on a new build would allow me to get a 2 bed flat on my own :)

The question is, how would it be paid, and will it actually happen? I don't think so unfortunately!

This was one of the main reasons for Boris landslide win

Get brexit done then concentrate on the promises in the manifesto.

So many votes for Boris due to these promises

This was an actual pledge a major promised reason why so many votes went to Boris.

If it doesn’t happen next year there will be hell to pay.

A lot of folks talking about activism and civil unrest if these promises are broken
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • bioboybillbioboybill Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, this "pledge" had nothing too do with his win, and if it comes to nothing nobody will be marching.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyGold wrote: »
    It’s not widely available because it’s only for local FTBers.

Only those FTBers living in London for years will be able to buy a £500k new home for £350k.

I meant demand (for those eligible) will outstrip the available supply.

We’ll see but I think those pinning their hopes on it will be disappointed.
    The conservatives promised 200,000 affordable starter homes in 2015 and delivered zero so they have form.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/05/tories-broke-pledge-on-starter-homes-in-2015-manifesto-report-says

I’m not saying don’t look into it and give up, but the successful people on these boards have made it by being self-reliant so it’s better to invest time in your own skills and employability and put plans in place to make it on your own merit than just waiting decades for a handout that might never come.
    26.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyGold wrote: »
    All we hear about is brexit

Let’s move on to more important things in the manifesto

Let’s start seeing 30% discount on new homes, and start increasing the nu,bet of new homes added to the supply

I think you’re going to be disappointed again.
    A lot of effort will be tied up on brexit.
    A number of contractors are also waiting to hear about ir35 and a very late budget is planned.
    People need to know about their jobs, where they are going to living, rental contracts etc before March so people’s livelihoods and living accommodation depend directly on this legislation.
    This is higher up the list than hand outs for the hopeful.

Some financial legislation HAS to go through before April if the conservatives want to change the tax regime by April and for some that involves work they’ve done in March as most people are paid in arrears.
    This HAS to happen if HMRC want to tax people.

Handouts do not HAVE to happen in any particular timescale or at all so sorry your not a priority.

My advice is become more self reliant for your own success.
  • The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    Seriously so many other dads in my kids school said that this 30% discount was the reason we all voted tories

This was the case all around the country
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    26.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The-Joker wrote: »
    Seriously so many other dads in my kids school said that this 30% discount was the reason we all voted tories

This was the case all around the country

But your kids dads are all a certain demographic so don’t represent society,
    I’m in my 50s so none of my friends are bothered, neither are my parents generation.
    You are just mixing with ftbs.

The waspi womem probably voted labour and a lot of self employed concerned about ir35 took that into consideration.

Yes bribes work for some but to claim it’s a big factor is wriong.
    I think I’ll listen to John curtice rather than someone with a strong bias extrapolating their limited social circle.
  • MndMnd Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    A senior conservative (sorry, can't remember who) was talking about this on 5live breakfast this morning as a priority
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    Mnd wrote: »
    A senior conservative (sorry, can't remember who) was talking about this on 5live breakfast this morning as a priority

Any link for catch up listening?

I would like to listen to that.

There is no way they can get out of this promise, too many FTBers voted because of this promise of 30% discount on new homes
  • bioboybillbioboybill Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The-Joker wrote: »
    Any link for catch up listening?

I would like to listen to that.

There is no way they can get out of this promise, too many FTBers voted because of this promise of 30% discount on new homes
    Of course they can get out of it. Boris Johnson in particular has form for telling porkies. Remember the £350K a week for the NHS from Brexit? Ditched the day after the vote. Also his manifesto was just a few bullet points to avoid promising much at all.
  • Boris is just trying copy what thatcher did, remember which way that went for property prices ?
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.