Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers?

Options

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bioboybill wrote: »
    :rotfl: Outside of the MSE bubble most people haven't even heard about this. I've only seen it mentioned here and nobody I work with has heard about it. I think you need to calm down, and I confidently predict it will be a damp squib.

Who do you work with? Are they part of the 52% or the 48%?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    Who do you work with? Are they part of the 52% or the 48%?

I haven’t seen it and I watch the news on Tv and online most days.
    What’s the 52/48 relevance?

When was it on the mainstream news?

Even using google and actually looking for it I’m struggling to find the 30%.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9811221/first-time-buyers-20-discount-homes/
  • The-Joker
    Options
    The 30% discount was a large part of the tories manifesto

It is only really of benefit to FTBers so older people aren’t interested
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    For probably the first time I agree with you.
    It’s not been in mainstream news and most people don’t read manifestos.
    It’s not of relevance to the majority so there is no reason the tories can not break this manifesto pledge as many parties have done many times.
    There are also many reasons why it might not work in practice e,g. Developers preferring to sell to people paying full price, demand well outstripping supply or book prices inflated by 30% and negotiation available to everyone not going via the government scheme.

Anyone expecting wide availability of a genuine 30% discount is being naive ImO.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    What’s the 52/48 relevance?

All the leave voters round here are pretending that it's world war 2 and voting will win against foreigners. They don't care about anything else at all.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    All the leave voters round here are pretending that it's world war 2 and voting will win against foreigners. They don't care about anything else at all.

Ah I see what you mean and I agree that the brexit issue means that people aren’t voting on other issues e.g. what sort of country/society they want unless there is something very significant that affects them personally e.g. IR35, ftb, waspi
  • DannyGold
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    For probably the first time I agree with you.
    It’s not been in mainstream news and most people don’t read manifestos.
    It’s not of relevance to the majority so there is no reason the tories can not break this manifesto pledge as many parties have done many times.
    There are also many reasons why it might not work in practice e,g. Developers preferring to sell to people paying full price, demand well outstripping supply or book prices inflated by 30% and negotiation available to everyone not going via the government scheme.

Anyone expecting wide availability of a genuine 30% discount is being naive ImO.

It’s not widely available because it’s only for local FTBers.

Only those FTBers living in London for years will be able to buy a £500k new home for £350k.
  • The-Joker
    Options
    Now we know tories won

Yes let’s see the exact details of the 30% discounts
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • DannyGold
    Options
    All we hear about is brexit

Let’s move on to more important things in the manifesto

Let’s start seeing 30% discount on new homes, and start increasing the nu,bet of new homes added to the supply
  • snowqueen555
    Options
    DannyGold wrote: »
    All we hear about is brexit

Let’s move on to more important things in the manifesto

Let’s start seeing 30% discount on new homes, and start increasing the nu,bet of new homes added to the supply

30% discount on a new build would allow me to get a 2 bed flat on my own :)

The question is, how would it be paid, and will it actually happen? I don't think so unfortunately!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure