Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers?

159 replies 3.5K views

Replies

• phillwphillw Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    bioboybill wrote: »
    :rotfl: Outside of the MSE bubble most people haven't even heard about this. I've only seen it mentioned here and nobody I work with has heard about it. I think you need to calm down, and I confidently predict it will be a damp squib.

Who do you work with? Are they part of the 52% or the 48%?
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phillw wrote: »
    Who do you work with? Are they part of the 52% or the 48%?

I haven’t seen it and I watch the news on Tv and online most days.
    What’s the 52/48 relevance?

When was it on the mainstream news?

Even using google and actually looking for it I’m struggling to find the 30%.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/9811221/first-time-buyers-20-discount-homes/
  • The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    The 30% discount was a large part of the tories manifesto

It is only really of benefit to FTBers so older people aren’t interested
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
    26.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For probably the first time I agree with you.
    It’s not been in mainstream news and most people don’t read manifestos.
    It’s not of relevance to the majority so there is no reason the tories can not break this manifesto pledge as many parties have done many times.
    There are also many reasons why it might not work in practice e,g. Developers preferring to sell to people paying full price, demand well outstripping supply or book prices inflated by 30% and negotiation available to everyone not going via the government scheme.

Anyone expecting wide availability of a genuine 30% discount is being naive ImO.
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    What’s the 52/48 relevance?

All the leave voters round here are pretending that it's world war 2 and voting will win against foreigners. They don't care about anything else at all.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    26.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phillw wrote: »
    All the leave voters round here are pretending that it's world war 2 and voting will win against foreigners. They don't care about anything else at all.

Ah I see what you mean and I agree that the brexit issue means that people aren’t voting on other issues e.g. what sort of country/society they want unless there is something very significant that affects them personally e.g. IR35, ftb, waspi
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    For probably the first time I agree with you.
    It’s not been in mainstream news and most people don’t read manifestos.
    It’s not of relevance to the majority so there is no reason the tories can not break this manifesto pledge as many parties have done many times.
    There are also many reasons why it might not work in practice e,g. Developers preferring to sell to people paying full price, demand well outstripping supply or book prices inflated by 30% and negotiation available to everyone not going via the government scheme.

Anyone expecting wide availability of a genuine 30% discount is being naive ImO.

It’s not widely available because it’s only for local FTBers.

Only those FTBers living in London for years will be able to buy a £500k new home for £350k.
  • The-JokerThe-Joker Forumite
    718 posts
    ✭✭
    Now we know tories won

Yes let’s see the exact details of the 30% discounts
    The thing about chaos is, it's fair.
  • All we hear about is brexit

Let’s move on to more important things in the manifesto

Let’s start seeing 30% discount on new homes, and start increasing the nu,bet of new homes added to the supply
  • snowqueen555snowqueen555 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    DannyGold wrote: »
    All we hear about is brexit

Let’s move on to more important things in the manifesto

Let’s start seeing 30% discount on new homes, and start increasing the nu,bet of new homes added to the supply

30% discount on a new build would allow me to get a 2 bed flat on my own :)

The question is, how would it be paid, and will it actually happen? I don't think so unfortunately!