Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices


We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Boris pledge to offer 30% discount to local first time buyers?

159 replies 3.5K views
145791016

Replies

  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The-Joker wrote: »
    Any link for catch up listening?

    I would like to listen to that.

    There is no way they can get out of this promise, too many FTBers voted because of this promise of 30% discount on new homes


    it may happen with very limited availability e.g people camping out in tents to get the 2 flats promised by developers.


    no they dont have have to keep their promises.
    civil unrest will be treated the same as extinction rebellion where the police will arrest people (or possily the general public will stop you).


    What are you doing to make yourself more self-reliant rather than waiting for handouts.


    Im studying to improve my prospects in both current and future employment. What are you doing?


    Complaining and waiting are not a recipe for success.
  • Yes they do have to keep their promises

    It’s all about confidence
  • movilogomovilogo Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This can open can of worms.

    An immigrant (now British citizen but did not grow up in this country) may complain that he is being disadvantaged compared other British citizens who were born and brought up here.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Crashy_TimeCrashy_Time Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    it may happen with very limited availability e.g people camping out in tents to get the 2 flats promised by developers.


    no they dont have have to keep their promises.
    civil unrest will be treated the same as extinction rebellion where the police will arrest people (or possily the general public will stop you).


    What are you doing to make yourself more self-reliant rather than waiting for handouts.


    Im studying to improve my prospects in both current and future employment. What are you doing?


    Complaining and waiting are not a recipe for success.

    What are you studying?
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you studying?

    Technical subjects relevant to my profession.

    I gained a new certification recently which could be helpful when/if looking for future employment.

    The effort is viewed positively by my superiors which always helps when being considered for opportunities/pay rises/ promotions etc.

    I don’t find complaining (without taking action) to be either fruitful or happy so I’ve stopped doing it.
    Reflecting before taking action is a different matter.

    I’m not saying training is the only production thing you can do (its one example that could directly replace forum time), but that just endless complaining is probably the least productive and doesn’t appear to make people happy either.

    Some people spending a lot of time on here might help their prospects better by spending their time elsewhere.
    In some cases a second or third job but sometimes if you have a good career it can help to invest in that.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    76.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    padington wrote: »
    Boris is just trying copy what thatcher did, remember which way that went for property prices ?

    Under Brown's tenure?
    “Far from seamlessly assimilating new ideas into our existing belief framework, research shows that we actually tend to get more firm in our cherished beliefs when those beliefs become challenged.”
    ― Daniel Crosby
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyGold wrote: »
    Yes they do have to keep their promises

    It’s all about confidence


    You need to look at recent history for multiple examples.
    I’ve already posted one of the Tories providing Zero affordable homes.
    You need to distinguish between your desire and reality.
    Go and fact check how many manifesto promises are kept or more practically make an alternate plan to get to where you want to be that based on practical action and not just hoping for an unlikely handout.
    Plenty of people will help you with practical plans.

    I’m more working towards retirement as I have a house, but I have a practical plan that I can work on to achieve what I want.
  • Crashy_TimeCrashy_Time Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Technical subjects relevant to my profession.

    I gained a new certification recently which could be helpful when/if looking for future employment.

    The effort is viewed positively by my superiors which always helps when being considered for opportunities/pay rises/ promotions etc.

    I don’t find complaining (without taking action) to be either fruitful or happy so I’ve stopped doing it.
    Reflecting before taking action is a different matter.

    I’m not saying training is the only production thing you can do (its one example that could directly replace forum time), but that just endless complaining is probably the least productive and doesn’t appear to make people happy either.

    Some people spending a lot of time on here might help their prospects better by spending their time elsewhere.
    In some cases a second or third job but sometimes if you have a good career it can help to invest in that.

    All good, however many people are also awake to the fact that a rigged property market means their promotions etc. just get eaten up by higher and higher housing costs, but having said that I don`t think the rigged market as it has been for a while now will survive the Brexit process too well. Posters who just complain and also posters who do nothing but ramp house prices could do well to spend more time on productive pursuits, but like Brexit it is such a divisive and addictive topic that I find that unlikely.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you’ve bought the cost does not get higher and higher, in fact in real terms it reduces as mortgages are nominal.
    Interest rate risk can be mitigated by a fixed rate if that’s a concern.
    So those getting promotions should see their costs going down in real terms after buying(but not renting).
    A rising market only works against you if you choose to stay out of it.

    I am spending less time on here although I’ll still be dipping in as I think I have gained some knowledge and perspective at times.

    My portfolio is going great at this point in the process ( I think some doom and gloom was factored in by the markets).
    If your diversified and spread amongst asset classes nd looking at the long term then it shouldn’t be a worry.

    No one should be buying property for short term speculation or if they do they need to accept the risks and costs but it’s not really a short term investment due to the transactional costs.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good, however many people are also awake to the fact that a rigged property market means their promotions etc. just get eaten up by higher and higher housing costs,

    Who do you think is more likely to be successful in ANY type of market or circumstance?

    1) the person spending hours complaining and hoping for a handout with no guarantee of getting one.

    2) the person trying practical measures to improve their situation such as budgeting, extra work, training, trying to get a new job or promotion and if it doesn’t work thinking and trying something new.

    Some reflection, listening, thinking is good but that’s different to endless complaining with no listening, which some posters on here engage in even when presented with factual evidence e.g. failed manifesto promises.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support