PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 4

Options

Comments

• tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Thank you FrugalLina, you too :)

Its such a supportive thread, glad I found you all.

I need to add half a chicken breast to my declared food. Temptation got the better of me, and I justified it on the grounds of protein, but that was actually just the mechanism of temptation. Our brains can be very creative!

Hmmm I have to write a dialogue for class tomorrow... might see if I can make a temptation dialogue... a timeless classic... relatable. Off to work!
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    Good evening, everyone :) I hope you’ve all had a good day, even though it’s Monday. Many thanks for supportive remarks.

Brambling thank you very much for keeping the Tables of Our Achievements (or non-achievements) up to date, and for being so supportive. :A

FrugalLina well-done on keeping the momentum going :T. And respect to you for your vegan diet: I’ve tried a wholly vegan diet, but I couldn’t stick with it, and the shopping was really time-consuming to avoid “smuggled” non-vegan ingredients in prepared foods. I did enjoy using Middle Eastern recipes and still do.

Molly41 congratulations on the new trousers - may you have much happiness wearing them. And may they soon be too big for you!

tighteningthebelt I can only echo everyone else’s congratulations. A really good steady drop, no matter if there’s some help with it, a welcome side-effect. :) . Good luck with your dialogue.

Doggy-Land Delights for today:
    B: bacon, tomatoes & mushrooms
    L: rice & lentil salad with chopped veg (made in a batch a couple of weeks ago and frozen, not a very good idea), three oatcakes with jam
    D: spinach soup, aubergine fennel & tomato microwave “bake” (from scratch, not LO, because it’s so quick & easy to make), yogurt with gooseberries.
    S: one oaty biscuit (visiting friends this afternoon)
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • FrugalLina
    Options
    Thanks tighteningthebelt and good luck with your dialogue - what a great subject!

Thanks too, BlueDoggy, it was quite a job learning what I could and couldn't eat when I first went vegan, but I had already gone off a lot of ingredients like egg and milk (due to the troublesome gallbladder, I now realise in retrospect), so the process was not too difficult. I had been an on-again/off-again vegetarian for 30+ years too, which made it all so much easier.

The aubergine fennel & tomato microwave “bake” sounds delicious, could you tell me how it is done, please?
    31.5/100
  • honeythewitch
    Options
    Evening all. :)
    Brambling wrote: »
    FrugalLina - well done on your 1/2 lb:T you have done so well the last few weeks your body is just adjusting to things. You are so supportive of others you need to remember to be supportive and kind to yourself as well :) I like the idea of gin for breakfast :D not sure if the boss would agree, I did ask my colleague in Paris if it was too early for gin at 10.00am as we are experiencing IT system issues her replied was 'weed maybe?' :eek:

Tighteningthebelt 25% :T I know they say there are so many benefits of losing 10% of our body weight for our health especially things like our blood pressure so well done you :D

Molly every wardrobe needs a pair of black trousers so versatile and hide a multitude of sins :D

Back to work and it's raining :( so no lunchtime walk as the office is cold and I don't want to be wet and cold as well . I'm going out tonight to watch a play with my sister 'The Lady Vanishes' our Friends of the Venue Card means if you go on opening night for plays it's 2for1 so :money: although you can get teething problems but not usually for the professional ones.

B-Porridge, banana and blueberries
    L - Lentil, sweet potato and pepper soup (wih very small amount of chorizo) - followed by an orange
    D- something involving LO chicken and veg
    S - nectarine & Sugar snap peas so far
    The Lady Vanishes sounds like it will be good, but sounds quite difficult to stage.
    Thank you FrugalLina, you too :)

Its such a supportive thread, glad I found you all.

I need to add half a chicken breast to my declared food. Temptation got the better of me, and I justified it on the grounds of protein, but that was actually just the mechanism of temptation. Our brains can be very creative!

Hmmm I have to write a dialogue for class tomorrow... might see if I can make a temptation dialogue... a timeless classic... relatable. Off to work!
    i think we can all relate to that! :D
    Blue_Doggy wrote: »
    Good evening, everyone :) I hope you’ve all had a good day, even though it’s Monday. Many thanks for supportive remarks.

Brambling thank you very much for keeping the Tables of Our Achievements (or non-achievements) up to date, and for being so supportive. :A

FrugalLina well-done on keeping the momentum going :T. And respect to you for your vegan diet: I’ve tried a wholly vegan diet, but I couldn’t stick with it, and the shopping was really time-consuming to avoid “smuggled” non-vegan ingredients in prepared foods. I did enjoy using Middle Eastern recipes and still do.

Molly41 congratulations on the new trousers - may you have much happiness wearing them. And may they soon be too big for you!

tighteningthebelt I can only echo everyone else’s congratulations. A really good steady drop, no matter if there’s some help with it, a welcome side-effect. :) . Good luck with your dialogue.

Doggy-Land Delights for today:
    B: bacon, tomatoes & mushrooms
    L: rice & lentil salad with chopped veg (made in a batch a couple of weeks ago and frozen, not a very good idea), three oatcakes with jam
    D: spinach soup, aubergine fennel & tomato microwave “bake” (from scratch, not LO, because it’s so quick & easy to make), yogurt with gooseberries.
    S: one oaty biscuit (visiting friends this afternoon)

Isnt it funny how we can manage just one biscuit when we are out, but I have never had just one biscuit at home in the whole of my life. or maybe that is just me.
    Perhaps I should invent an imaginary friend to serve me just one hob-nob?. ;)

Todays food.

Peanut butter on olive bread (I am beginning to regret making so much of this)

Beef curry, brown rice.

I am not sure if this will work, or I will be too self conscious, but I have bought a large food flask so I can take an actual hot dinner out with me when I go walking out and about.

The only thing is, it will involve sitting on a park bench or something to eat it, and although I dont feel the cold, I dont want to look as if i actually live on the bench. :o
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    FrugalLina This is the recipe for aubergine fennel and tomato bake (originally from “Microwave Gourmet” by Barbara Kafka).

I’ve tweaked the amounts because the size of the vegetables varies, and whether I’m eating it as a main or a side.

For one as a main meal, I use a third to a half of an aubergine, the same of a bulb of fennel, and three medium tomatoes.

Cut the aubergine and fennel into slices or chunks as you like (I do triangular chunks a bit smaller than the tomatoes), score the tomatoes so they don’t burst, (you can halve them, but then they tend to lose too much juice).

Arrange them on your dish or plate however looks good, put in a couple of peeled & smashed garlic cloves if you like, sprinkle some thyme or basil, drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil, sprinkle salt & black pepper to taste. Cover and put in the microwave. Mine is 750 watts and I cook this for 7 minutes at full power.

If I’m not trying to lose weight, I’ll add some chopped nuts, pine nuts, or grated cheese after cooking.

As a side dish, it goes well with fish, chicken or lamb; I haven’t tried it with beans or lentils but I think it would go well. I’ve never used rice or potato with it as I find the vegetables are filling enough.

A bit of an essay, but hope it helps. :)

Honeythewitch I’m like you, can’t have just one biscuit when I’m on my own. I can’t keep them in the house. The secret with biscuit limiting when out is plain old peer-pressure, we all sit round very polite and no-one wants to be the first to have that second biscuit. It helps that there’s usually someone who won’t eat even one! :)
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Declaring todays food as small LO jambalaya from freezer, half a chicken breast, mangtous and Savoy cabbage.
    Kiwi and apple. Strawberry yogurt.

Have a good day everyone.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,771 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,

I've been awol again - with life getting the better of me. No sympathy required, this is just by way of explanation. Neither of us has been sleeping well and being tired makes it hard to make good food choices. Actually some days it makes it hard to cook at all but we've stayed away from the fast food place with the big M at the top of the road except for one night. That was the night that I took the HT's phone off him first thing and reported one of his little mates for taking cocaine. That was a stressful day so the two of us and his best friend who also confirmed to teachers what had been going on had junk food for tea. It wasn't the actual drug taking that bothered me although that was bad enough as they're only 14, it was the texts that the HT was receiving suggesting that the drug taker was self harming as the result of whatever they were taking. The HT found that upsetting so we agreed that the person needed help. As I don't know their parents we had to report it to school.

The HT's maths problems that we thought were sorted also came back to haunt me as his teacher went off sick and the SENCO did none of what they'd promised. I fixed that with an email and the head of maths rang me and then sorted out the action needed. It all adds to the stress though.....

Anyhow, our side of things seems to be sorted now and I've stayed the same weight which is a relief. Sorry for going on.....I have read your posts in the last couple of days and it's lovely to see those of you that are in a good place doing so well and anyone who doesn't feel so good receiving plenty of moral support.

Sadly, our mate dumpling posted on the daily the day before yesterday to say that she is in hospital with sepsis. If you are reading dumpling then I hope you're continuing to recover.

Take care all of you :)
  • honeythewitch
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I've been awol again - with life getting the better of me. No sympathy required, this is just by way of explanation. Neither of us has been sleeping well and being tired makes it hard to make good food choices. Actually some days it makes it hard to cook at all but we've stayed away from the fast food place with the big M at the top of the road except for one night. That was the night that I took the HT's phone off him first thing and reported one of his little mates for taking cocaine. That was a stressful day so the two of us and his best friend who also confirmed to teachers what had been going on had junk food for tea. It wasn't the actual drug taking that bothered me although that was bad enough as they're only 14, it was the texts that the HT was receiving suggesting that the drug taker was self harming as the result of whatever they were taking. The HT found that upsetting so we agreed that the person needed help. As I don't know their parents we had to report it to school.

The HT's maths problems that we thought were sorted also came back to haunt me as his teacher went off sick and the SENCO did none of what they'd promised. I fixed that with an email and the head of maths rang me and then sorted out the action needed. It all adds to the stress though.....

Anyhow, our side of things seems to be sorted now and I've stayed the same weight which is a relief. Sorry for going on.....I have read your posts in the last couple of days and it's lovely to see those of you that are in a good place doing so well and anyone who doesn't feel so good receiving plenty of moral support.

Sadly, our mate dumpling posted on the daily the day before yesterday to say that she is in hospital with sepsis. If you are reading dumpling then I hope you're continuing to recover.

Take care all of you :)

What a dreadful time, cranky. However, you did the right thing and hopefully the young chap can get whatever help he needs to get well.
    You have done very well to stay the same weight through all of that, so i would call that a small triumph.

Wishing a speedy recovery for dumpling. :)
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    At least I'm young enough to fall over and not have a fall :rotfl:

I remember someone saying that you can tell when you're old because people rush to help you when you fall over rather than laughing at you :D
    I dont want to look as if i actually live on the bench. :o

:rotfl: I'm sure you won't do but I can sympathise with being self-conscious. Even if I'm eating something really healthy I have an utter hatred of eating in public by myself as I'm always really worried that people will be judgmental.

Tighteningthebelt - Massive congratulations for hitting 25% of your target :j:j
    Don't do yourself down with any help the medication may be giving you, you're still having to put in a lot of effort to achieve that.

Frugalina - Well done on the loss and sorry that the bad photo upset you. I hate having my picture taken because it's all to easy to scrutinise every bad point when nobody else would even see them.

Blue Doggy - Thank you for the aubergine, fennel and tomato bake recipe, that sounds lovely.

Molly - enjoy the new trousers and very well done on the increased levels of activity

Sorry if I've missed people. I've been trying to catch up with work and posts at the same time and, coupled with the fact that I've been totally scatterbrained for the past week or so, can't keep track of everything.

I fear that this week's weigh in isn't going to go well. I didn't actually eat too badly at the weekend, other than curry on Sunday night, but weighed myself this morning and it was not good :eek:

I'm so fed up with the fact that I have to eat next to nothing all week to lose anything and then end up putting it all back on and more from blowing out for one day. I know that dieting's never going to be easy but it's seeming particularly hard this time round.
  • FrugalLina
    FrugalLina Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 October 2019 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Honeythewitch, even an imaginary friend wouldn't be able to stop me eating the whole packet of biscuits if I had them in the house - I have no self control when it comes to biscuits.

I like the idea of a warm meal when you are out and about and I am sure you won't be mistaken for a homeless person, particularly if you are consuming your meal at lunchtime or something like that. Lots of people escape their workplaces and eat outside, I have often done that. :)

BlueDoggy, thank you so much, that sounds really delicious and I shall make that for dinner tonight, just need to buy an aubergine, I have the fennel and tomatoes. I think a side of butter beans would go well. :A

Gosh, Cranky40 you have a lot going on, so well done on staying the same and not gaining. I hope things have settled down now and you can get back to normal.

Thanks for letting us know about Dumpling - I too wish her well and a speedy recovery. :)

Edited to add: Thanks Izadora, you posted at the same time as me. Yes cameras are evil beasts! Sorry about your weight issues, how disheartening that you are doing so well during the week and just one meal messes it up. It may just be down to the salt in the curry causing water retention, though, so give it a day or two and weigh again, your body may have sorted itself out again.
    31.5/100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport