Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News

Comments

• od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I haven't had any new offers on my app this week. 10 days ago, a colleague got a coupon for extra points for loo roll!!!
  • Is anyone concerned that after the registration details with fixed security question, Sainsburys (and anyone who successfully hacks them) has enough information to access your bank account?

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,780
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Davisonp said:
    Is anyone concerned that after the registration details with fixed security question, Sainsburys (and anyone who successfully hacks them) has enough information to access your bank account?

What?  You have to give your bank account password etc to Sainsbury's/Nectar and hand over your mobile phone too?
  • Davisonp said:
    Is anyone concerned that after the registration details with fixed security question, Sainsburys (and anyone who successfully hacks them) has enough information to access your bank account?

What?  You have to give your bank account password etc to Sainsbury's/Nectar and hand over your mobile phone too?

No, But the security question, name, address and date of birth is what you need to reset a bank password. The Nectar registration require an answer to a fixed question "Mothers Maiden name" which is a common security question for bank accounts (although I believe most bank online account registration allow a choice of security questions which is what Sainsburys should do).
    You do not need the persons mobile phone to get access to someone's bank, and there appears to be enough information in the Nectar registration process to be a serious security issue if the bank get hacked.
    You can lie about the mothers maiden name, and keep a note somewhere, but vulnerable people will not think of that.

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,838
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In the crazy world of Sainsbury's and most banks, there are no telephone directories (so nobody can find out the first line of your address), no postcode lookups, no birthday cards (because absolutely nobody knows your DoB) etc.  They break all the golden rules of passwords, e.g. they should be changed frequently, not use publicly available information, and never be shared.  Armed with DoB and Mother's Maiden Name, and you're well on the way to raiding someone's savings.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,780
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Gerry1 said:
    In the crazy world of Sainsbury's and most banks, there are no telephone directories (so nobody can find out the first line of your address), no postcode lookups, no birthday cards (because absolutely nobody knows your DoB) etc.  They break all the golden rules of passwords, e.g. they should be changed frequently, not use publicly available information, and never be shared.  Armed with DoB and Mother's Maiden Name, and you're well on the way to raiding someone's savings.
    I think you will find that frequent changes of passwords is no longer considered the best advice.
  • hermante
    hermante Posts: 572
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You don't have to give your real name or date of birth.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Well if you are over 70 and you have not given your correct name and DOB you will not be eligible to priority food delivery slots as Sainsbury use your Nectar details to allocate
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099
    Forumite
    Anyone had a problem with logging into Nectar today?
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Forumite
    Well if you are over 70 and you have not given your correct name and DOB you will not be eligible to priority food delivery slots as Sainsbury use your Nectar details to allocate
    Really?  I've just checked my Nectar account online.  It does not include my d.o.b., nor can I add it.  Ditto for my wife.

Guess what?  We still can't buy from Sainsbury's online, in spite of being physical customers for over 40 years.  When this is all over, we'll remember our experience, and who's been looking after us - mainly Waitrose.  If we never shop at Sainsbury's again, it will be too soon, to misquote Groucho Marx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure