Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News

Comments

• minislim wrote: »
    i admit i do shop like a geek and scour mysupermarket before i go shop. and i always try to do a comparison. and in most cases over the last 12 months sainsburys is either on par or slightly cheaper on the items i buy.
    with my nectar card most weeks i have a £4 to £6 off voucher a £30 to £40 shop too. so that brings the price down further.

weirdly i would end up with a £50+ trolley at aldi (and yes i try to avoid the middle aisle) whilst at sainsburys its only a fraction over £40.

I shop like a geek too, and I find Sainsbury's to be the second most expensive shop overall that I have access to (Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Home Bargains and even Tesco are all *much* cheaper). Only the Co-op is more expensive for me (there's no Waitrose available).

My main shop is at Tesco, and it is consistently cheaper than Sainsbury's for 90% of what I buy. You clearly have a different experience! :)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    SonOfPearl wrote: »
    I shop like a geek too, and I find Sainsbury's to be the second most expensive shop overall that I have access to (Aldi, Lidl, Iceland, Home Bargains and even Tesco are all *much* cheaper). Only the Co-op is more expensive for me (there's no Waitrose available).

My main shop is at Tesco, and it is consistently cheaper than Sainsbury's for 90% of what I buy. You clearly have a different experience! :)

You can add Morrisons to your 'cheaper than Sainsbury' list. I was in a town with a branch of Morrisons this week and it was very clearly cheaper than the Sainsbury's where I do the occasional top-up shop.
  • I'm part of the new Nectar trial and it started out with some great bonus points offers on individual products that quickly earned me hundreds of extra points. Sadly, that seems to have been curtailed somewhat in favour of "brand" offers where you get extra points by making (often big) purchases with other retailers, which don't generally interest me at all.
  • I am already fed up of them offering me money off "my first online shop" and they don't seem to ever have taken the hint that I very rarely spend enough to trigger the offer they've sent me, I certainly don't spend enough to get free deliveries. and popping into store early Saturday morning gives me a free weekend instead of sitting in all day hanging about waiting for a van to turn up. So, no, I don't see any advantage to online groceries, for me.

I may just spend all my nectars on a new Nintendo and turn to aldi if they annoy me much more than this.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,458
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2019 at 4:35PM
    I've just skimmed the article on the main site. In fact it's the old article with a few bits added. What struck me was that you can only take advantage of the offers either via an app or a website. Perhaps they're aiming the scheme at young people who'll shop at Sainsbury's because it's near where they live/work and not too budget conscious.

I think there'll be whole tranche of older people who will miss out. I might miss out because I CBA to have another app on my phone. I might look at the website and see if any offers I really want come up in the near future. I suspect it'll be like the till 'spits' (I think I remember people calling them) that encouraged me to buy things I rarely wanted/needed or were for insurance or an online shop or fuel (when we don't have a petrol station) or whatever. With those I just looked for the nearest bin.

I don't think this is going to turn things round for Sainsbury's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3q-zBLZEW4
  • Yup - looks like a lot of fuss for very marginal gains. I am increasingly getting my main shop at Aldi anyway, so a few random points are not going to make me favour Sainsbos. I will be on the lookout for that time of year when the value of the points you have is increased. The chance to buy:beer: fancy sherry for my missis will hopefully still be offered!
  • Wonder if it'll now actually work when you want to redeem points online.

I couldn't redeem them a couple of weeks ago, got told it was a "known issue" and they had no time scale for when it was going to be fixed.

But faff with stuff that's not broken instead, that'll help.
  • Clive_x
    Clive_x Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    Nectar, Clubcard, and all "loyalty" cards are designed to track an individual's purchasing patterns to maximise profits, and to learn which products to push to more effectively tempt them back within a short timeframe to spend more than they otherwise would.
    New scanners ? mmmm . . . wonder who pays for that !
    Prob. not canny shoppers who subscribe to MSE.
    Judging from most of the comments here, Sainsburys are about to shoot themselves in the OTHER foot !
  • economum
    economum Posts: 145
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My nectar toolbar has disappeared since the nectar upgrade. It was working yesterday. Does anybody know if it has been abolished? I can't find any reference to it on the new site.
    It was handy to get a couple of hundred points points per month for searching the web
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,838
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The New Nectar Android app is totally incompetent. Amazingly, it claims that you 'Log in securely' but it remembers your card number AND password so there's no security at all. It even reveals your home address, so heaven help you if someone steals your phone !

The scheme is also a SCAM, about half of the points from the Sainsbury's offers never show up.

High time that they were busted by the ICO and Trading Standards. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport