Revealed: Sainsbury's trial of new Nectar loyalty scheme extended nationwide - MSE News

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,458
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    minislim wrote: »
    Really? you must be luck. or i'm just unlucky. most of the fruit and veg that i get from aldi or asda doesn't seem to last more than four to five days. i'm constantly throwing stuff on the compost heap as its even beyond the sniff it and brush off the mold stage.

sainsburys on the other hand has been going well over the 7 days point. in some cases up to 2 weeks.

I think you're unlucky with your Aldi. I do one weekly shop and everything lasts. I always try to use things up within the week but I have celery and courgettes in the fridge from last week and they're fine. I suppose it would be more difficult if I was cooking for one person but for the two of us I can easily keep up. When I see anything going past it's best (like carrots sometimes) I chop them up and put them in the freezer and it makes life easier when I'm making a casserole. :)

Perhaps it's a bit of extra effort but well worth it IMO for the money I save going to Aldi. :money::)
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    When you buy fruit and veg you can see if they are fresh; if they aren't then lasting long in your fridge it is likely your fridge is not cool enough, 4 degrees is ideal to keep food fresh for a while. I have no issue keeping most fresh food for a fortnight that way, potatoes for about 3 months. If your temperature is higher than that the food will go off quicker.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Forumite
    It's a bit OT but current advice is not to store potatoes in a fridge. The idea seems to be that storage at low temperatures encourages the production of sugars and, therefore, acrylamide when they are cooked.

Here's a link, There are others: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/storing-food-safely-potatoes
  • A._Badger
    Forumite
    minislim wrote: »
    Really? you must be luck. or i'm just unlucky. most of the fruit and veg that i get from aldi or asda doesn't seem to last more than four to five days. i'm constantly throwing stuff on the compost heap as its even beyond the sniff it and brush off the mold stage.

sainsburys on the other hand has been going well over the 7 days point. in some cases up to 2 weeks.

In the past I might have agreed with you about Aldi's fruit and vegetable quality but I don't find that the case any longer. There has been a substantial improvement over the past year.

In any case, F&V doesn't constitute the majority of what I buy in either store, so your original comment about Sainsbury's 'lowered' prices still puzzles me, In fact of all the major supermarkets (with the exception of Waitrose) I find Sainsbruy's the most expensive to shop in. Neither Aldi nor Lidl would be as successful as they are if that wasn'l the case.
  • A._Badger wrote: »
    In the past I might have agreed with you about Aldi's fruit and vegetable quality but I don't find that the case any longer. There has been a substantial improvement over the past year.

In any case, F&V doesn't constitute the majority of what I buy in either store, so your original comment about Sainsbury's 'lowered' prices still puzzles me, In fact of all the major supermarkets (with the exception of Waitrose) I find Sainsbruy's the most expensive to shop in. Neither Aldi nor Lidl would be as successful as they are if that wasn'l the case.

i admit i do shop like a geek and scour mysupermarket before i go shop. and i always try to do a comparison. and in most cases over the last 12 months sainsburys is either on par or slightly cheaper on the items i buy.
    with my nectar card most weeks i have a £4 to £6 off voucher a £30 to £40 shop too. so that brings the price down further.

weirdly i would end up with a £50+ trolley at aldi (and yes i try to avoid the middle aisle) whilst at sainsburys its only a fraction over £40.
  • Is this why there was someone haranguing me in store to download an app and use it to log my shopping as I go around the store? Or was that something different? (I never take my phone grocery shopping with me, it really seems like it ought not to be needed!)

Anyway, it does seem each time I step into Sainsbury's these days it becomes a tiny fraction less of an enjoyable visit, I just hope they don't make Nectar too complicated to understand.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,458
    Forumite
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Anyway, it does seem each time I step into Sainsbury's these days it becomes a tiny fraction less of an enjoyable visit, I just hope they don't make Nectar too complicated to understand.

Last week at my Sainsbury's they moved the Customer Services desk into a corner of the tobacco kiosk so it's now no wider than the size of a keyboard.

This was to make extra space for another large bank of self service tills which people resolutely opt not to use.
  • 2 or 3 months ago I lost my Nectar card. I applied for and received (weeks later) a new card. On the old card (now cancelled) I regularly received vouchers at the till for products I often bought, sometimes I was getting 5 - 10 vouchers for extra points. Now, with the new card I get absolutely NONE. Sainsburys said it can take several weeks for vouchers to resume but they never did. The person I spoke to at Nectar could not understand my complaint and thought I needed another replacement card! They were completely unhelpful.
    The vouchers I received in the past did work (from Sainsbury's point of view) and got me into the store to use them. Inevitably, as one does, I usually ended up buying extra impulse buys or trying new things. That has all now STOPPED. With NO incentive to go into store anymore I now do more shopping at Aldi. Your loss Sainsburys. You should leave things as they are and not make changes for change sake.
  • I started reading the article but within 30 seconds decided it all looked too complicated.

I'll continue as I do now - shoving loyalty cards in the slot when I buy stuff, but disloyalty seems to pay well. I buy stuff where it's cheapest and pick up bargains close to closing time!

S'pose I'm old fashioned...
  • A._Badger
    Forumite
    I started reading the article but within 30 seconds decided it all looked too complicated.

I'll continue as I do now - shoving loyalty cards in the slot when I buy stuff, but disloyalty seems to pay well. I buy stuff where it's cheapest and pick up bargains close to closing time!

S'pose I'm old fashioned...

That makes two of us. I use a Nectar card but the points are of such little value these days that I don't even think about them when trying to decide what to buy, Price comes first!

It was obvious from the start that the Waitrose scheme was too complicated to work. The fact that Sainsbury's has decided to borrow it (albeit with modifications) just confirms that it is threshing around, not knowing what to do next. Buy Argos, merge with Asda, err - early morning door to door milk deliveries from battery powered floats?

Waitrose and Sainsbury's are both suffering from the impact of Aldi and Lidl and it should tell them something. Unfortunately, it seems to be something they don't want to hear - that there isn't much of a future in being the most expensive store in town !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure