Am I being unreasonable charging partner a token rent?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »

But I think I would want assurances that she wasn't going to feel entitled to half of the house if that were the case

She's not, she's entitled to what she put in, plus a little extra for value.

AndyPix wrote: »

If she wanted to see it as 'her house too' then I think it only right that she would pay into it by way contributing to the massive pot of equity that you have created

If she is happy that she has no claim on the house then it would be out of order to ask her to pay you 'rent'

It's entirely up to OP, it's his house. The mortgage is done, therefore there's no more mortgage to contribute to...

If he wanted to let her contribute to the house, AKA giving him money towards it so she can build equity, he could take it and bank it and spend it on a Ferrari or whatever he wants. But really he doesn't want that, he likes to hold all the cards.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you have no mortgage payments and she is paying her share o the bill why on earth would you want to charge her rent?
    She is your partner, not a lodger.
    She paid you money for the mortgage while you had one (which in turn gives her beneficial interest in the property) but now you no longer have one why would she pay.
    You are equals are you not? Partners? why should you not as a couple, benefit from not having to pay for a roof over your heads and enjoy your finances together.
    what your wife did previously is irrelevant, she is not your ex wife and you say she is a lovely lady so treat her like one and don't expect her to be your 'lodger'
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • beverley1471
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority, but £200 a month for food and bills seems like an absolute bargain to me, and if she thinks she can live on less I would pack her suitcase and tell her to go and live there. My partner lives with me and I am mortgage free, he pays me more than £200 a month as a contribution towards bills and then buys all the food as well.

I would not live with him if he expected to be living cost free at my expense, I would rather be single.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority, but £200 a month for food and bills seems like an absolute bargain to me, and if she thinks she can live on less I would pack her suitcase and tell her to go and live there. My partner lives with me and I am mortgage free, he pays me more than £200 a month as a contribution towards bills and then buys all the food as well.

I would not live with him if he expected to be living cost free at my expense, I would rather be single.

The £200 was over and above the monetary split of food and bills and was a contribution to the mortgage.

The mortgage is now paid off but the OP still wants his partner to continue paying the same amount.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2019 at 3:10PM
    Options
    I should clarify that we're both seeing this as a bit of a joke, an argument over the principle rather than anything else.

Whats the phrase about a true word said in jest.....

Principle and a bit of a joke at the moment ….but if things should turn sour at any point then I would be expecting you to be licking some wounds if your partner were to get herself a good solicitor.

Sometimes these things have a habit of manifesting then knawing away in the back of a mind and when you least expect it they will resurface.

If your partner was the one to start this "joke conversation" then its my guess its been ticking round her mind for a while...….these types of conversations don't happen in a happy household on a sunday afternoon or whatever just as a "topic" for general conversation...and the fact that your partner has a friend who backs her up ...well its been discussed at length before you were even remotely aware!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • need_an_answer
    Options

I absolutely agree with you...when it comes to food and bills the other partner is making no contribution to the mortgage...that's the difference once they make that contribution to mortgage or the fabric of the property they start to have a vested interest in it...

Once mortgage free the situation is different but in this case the OP has stated he paid the mortgage with his partners financial contribution.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2019 at 3:27PM
    Options
    Just out of interest OP if you are continuing to charge a "rent" payment do you have a valid CP12 for the property that is renewed annually?

https://www.cp12gascertificate.co.uk/when-is-a-cp12-gas-safety-certificate-required/

There's quite a hefty fine involved should your partner wish to challenge you not having one.

I cant find the joke quite so funny now when you could quite clearly be breaking the law
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• onwards&upwards
    Options

Do your bills really come to £400 a month with no mortgage?
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Do your bills really come to £400 a month with no mortgage?

Our utilities ( gas, electricity and water)and Council tax come to that figure.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Our utilities ( gas, electricity and water)and Council tax come to that figure.

You’re joking!! :eek:

You need a smart meter and some new light bulbs stat! Have you checked for leaks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure