What small DFW things will you do this week? WC 19th August

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 10,993
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry to hear you are poorly, Dawn. At least you've got rid of some golf clubs!

Morning all,
    Not planning many jobs today as I think it will be hotter than I like. On the list:
    *Vacuum upstairs as it's the only bit of my Friday cleaning I didn't do.
    *Continue next week's meal plans.
    *Start shopping list.
    *Take cup out with me for a free coffee.
    *Restrain Mr F in the butchers as he's BBQ-ing tonight.
    *Knit a bit more Christmas gift.
    *Water veg garden.
    *Read library book.
    *Bath & hair wash will involve several 'use it up' opportunities.
    *Check homegrown grapes for ripeness as they could be providing some of our fresh fruit over the next week.
    But I shall spend a nice lot of time sitting outside with my book, all being well.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Morning :wave: :coffee:
    Dawn - sorry to hear that you haven't been well. Hope that you're on the mend today.
    Ditty - you had the day from hell by the looks of things. Hope you're ok too.
    I had a day off hibernating from the world yesterday after a depressing phone call with my solicitor on Thursday evening. I just needed a rest and some time to get my head together.
    However, I did get quite a bit of crochet done, and a couple of frogs. Managed to find someone who wants my own sofa - so saving landfill/recycling and helping someone who needs it.
    Also tackled a couple of awkward phone calls and emails that I've been putting off.
    Just cannot get the sleep thing right though - I haven't managed more than about 5 hours a night for at least a week. I've tried all of my usual tricks - suspect I may need to be out and about more than I am but I don't fancy tackling much on bank holiday weekend. I'm not good with lots of people.
    Anyway - not sure what today will bring so I'm just ploughing on.
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,011
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Haven't been on here hard to be MSE when thrown upon with various emotional and health issues. Will be going for a free mellow run in a bit to sort out my head :-)
    But everybody is safe, relaxed and hopefully healing and getting ready to get on with things as and when.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • Glad to hear it Ditty!

I got yesterday's load of washing hung out earlier - should be dry now.

My lodger moves in tomorrow - so far today I've given a final hoover and dust to the attic flat he'll be moving in to (once he moves in, he'll be doing his own cleaning). I've also moved a spare coffee table and my microwave up there. I don't often use the microwave, and he'll have no other means of cooking in the flat (although he's welcome to use the main kitchen if he wants to do some real cooking) - so it makes sense to me to move it up there rather than going out and buying another one.

While I had the hoover out I did the rest of the house as well.

Currently de-frosting the freezer.

I'm also making soup for tonight - I'm working 3pm - 8pm - so all I have to do when I get in is hot it up.

Next job is to go and pick some more blackberries.

Then I just have to sort out the paperwork for the lodger, and I'm done. By then it'll be time to go to work (for a rest??)
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Morning all,

Ditty I hope your son is getting better, sounds dreadful. My son currently has a broken arm and that was bad enough!
    CCL, I hope you got a better nights sleep last night. Its hard when you get into a bad sleep pattern.
    Clf, Dawn & Dnms, I hope you're all feeling better then you were too.
    :wave: to everyone else

We've had a good few days although an unexpected trip to ikea on Friday ended up spendy and then we got stuck in long bank holiday weekend queues on the way home too. So yesterday was a day around the house mostly to try and stop spending!! (Did pop out to icyland as we needed cheese for the nachos that I'd promised the kids but used survey love 2 shop vouchers for them so that doesn't count!)
    Also went for a walk with dh (and took a little box with me in the hope of finding some blackberries, which we did. a nice bag of them in the freezer now. My youngest often asks for fruit but my eldest wouldn't think of picking up an apple out of the fruit bowl and eating it but he'd stew and apple and have it with a handful of frozen berries and think he's having a real treat so a few more walks and berry picking the next few days I think :)
    Washed 3 loads on the quick 30 degree wash and got them out on the line to dry yesterday, all hung straight way with no need to iron except for 4 white tshirts and a shirt (will leave these tiil next week when dh is back to work and I'll need to wash/iron some work shirts rather then switch the iron on for these few bits.
    Had soup again for lunches, we had several quite old tins at the back of the cupboard (you know..the ones you buy thinking oh that would be a nice change but then everyone only ever wants tomato soup so they stay there!) Kids had theirs with the end of a bag of noodles in to pad it out a bit.
    Claimed a £10 m&s voucher from rm surveys, just need to print this off on to some reclaimed paper now!
    We moved some furniture around in what was the spare room but now dh's office for when he gets to wfh, It looks much better in there now, I hope it works out to be practical for him as this is using bits of furniture we already had so its not cost us anything extra, other then a desk mat.
    I peeled, grated and then froze a bag of carrots that had started to go off must have been the change in temperature.

I'm sure we did more but thats all I can think of. Time to make a cuppa and think about todays list.

Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 August 2019 at 9:54AM
    So to todays list
    * go to the gym with dh to make the most of our memberships before he goes back to work (will refill both water bottles there several times I'm sure) (need to make sure dh has the wifi password for the gym too ;) ) not doing as dh woke feeling off :(
    * write a proper big shop shopping list for tomorrow, when we went away we ran down both fridges/freezers so I want to make sure I fill them with good stuff and no junk! done
    * have to be home late morning for a tradesman for a couple of things round at the rental house, but this guy has usually been very prompt and quick with his work so hopefully I won't have to hang around too long.
    * look into selling dh's old records, this fell off the list on Friday. DH has some picture discs etc that he thinks might be worth something so need to investigate.
    * put fabric recycling bag in to my car for next time I see a recycling point! its in the car along with the bag of library books that need returning
    * run the dishwasher on the quick wash done and empty done
    * check banking
    * update calendars with hospital appointments for ds2
    * make a to do list for Tuesday as I need to make a couple of phone calls to try and rearrange some of ^ as just realised that one of the appointments is on ds2s first day at his new school, if I ring first thing Tuesday morning I'll see if they've had any cancellations for before the term starts and the one of the other appointments clashes with a dentist appointment!
    * another walk and blackberrying if we get chance.
    * print gift voucher I mentioned in other post
    * write birthday cards done and cheque so that we can pop them though the door in the week if we happen to be passing. (otherwise I'd end up ordering something on line and spending more!)
    Also, ordered dh & ds2s prescriptions online
    ** washed both cars by hand (a bucket of water and a watering can of water each to rinse off, no hose pipe used!)

Thats my starter for the day. Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Morning all :hello:

We're back from our time away. I've been reading but not posting. Wow, a lot has happened in a week around here. Hope those poorlies or family members who are poorly are feeling better.

We had a great time away and stuck to our budget whilst having lots of fun which was good news. 2nd load of Washing is on the line and the third in the wash. Great day for drying. Lots of clothes to put away. I also need to sort out clothes as there will be some smalls have grown out of and want to double check the school clothes situation too.

I've done some money shuffling this morning, including paying ourselves back for something we bought from savings (that we've now saved up for iyswim) does anyone else do this?!

Inspired by our own amazing DNMS efforts, I am going to research curtain making. I have a machine and really want to make some that I'll need in the next few months. I have an idea of what I would like but would never get them ready made as I have a big window, medium sized window and two long thin ones that I'd like to have the same material.

Breakfast will be use ups of things we bought home from holiday but I will need to make a list and go to the shop as the fridge is bare. Another coffee first though :o I have a voucher or 2 to use so will see which might be best placed to go today.

I've already picked a box full of raspberries with loads more coming and some blueberries. The simple things are so pleasing :D

Hoping you ave glorious weather too - enjoy. Purps.
  • Morning all :wave: :coffee:
    Just less than 7 hours of sleep last night, which is not quite where I want to be, but infinitely better than where I was.
    Fairly quiet day of pottering yesterday. I tried to convince the kids to go out for a walk and look for blackberries, but neither of them wanted to. Bit of a shame but I think I need to face the truth now, that my kids are like me in that they don't see the point in going for a walk just for the sake of it. I don't mind a walk with a proper route and a map in my hand, but they just like wifi… :rotfl: And spending my money - ds tried to offer me a quiet walk in exchange for a pub lunch :rotfl:
    Did finally get the last thing on the school list, dd's apron for her catering course - cannot wait for her to start that.
    My old sofa has gone - collected by the people from fb and with it have taken all of the unhappy memories I got every time I looked at it. I've put a couple of garden chairs in the living room short term until the new sofa arrives on Wednesday. The cats have already claimed them...
    Today looks like another scorcher of a day - I would kind of like to go out. But, my mental health is such at the moment that I can't bear the thought of being anywhere busy or crowded, and couple that with my WiFi addicted kids I can't see anything actually happening. We'll see.
    Whatever you're up to though people - enjoy.
    Lots of love to those that need it at the moment.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

Crikey, lots going on! Ditty - what a day! Hope everyone is on the mend.

I've had a pretty chilled bank holiday so far. HM weed killer for the garden - 5l white vinegar, 1 cup fairy liquid, 1 cup of salt. Still need to go out and brush up the weeds but hopefully a lot easier now :)

I spent a small fortune on furniture, which I'm hoping will sort out my tiny hallway mainly. :D Feels good not to buy big purchases on credit. :T As we decided not to move house we're feeling a bit better about spending money getting this place how we want it.

I finally spoke to mortgage people. Usual mortgage woman wasn't there and had to speak to an annoying guy who's going to phone me back on Tuesday. He promises me he can get me a cheaper rate than I can find myself so I will see what he has to say...

Oh, what do you think about frozen salmon fillets best before May 2019??? They just look like pink blocks of ice so I can't see how they could go off... Must use them up before OH sees them and chucks them without even testing :rotfl:

Happy Sunday guys!
  • Oh, what do you think about frozen salmon fillets best before May 2019??? They just look like pink blocks of ice so I can't see how they could go off... Must use them up before OH sees them and chucks them without even testing :rotfl:

Happy Sunday guys!

I'd go for it - if it's bb the worst is that they might be freezer burnt
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing